Madeleine Mccann

SaRpAnCh

WJKK WJKF

post-6503-1179010499.jpg

post-6503-1179009948.jpgpost-6503-1179009954.jpg

Madeleine McCann's family believe a new picture of the missing four-year-old could play a vital role in the search for her.

The photo clearly shows her distinctive right eye, where the pupil runs into the blue-green iris.

It is this distinguishing mark that will identify Madeleine to those on the lookout for her, according to aunt and uncle John and Diane McCann.

The Glasgow couple aim to distribute the appeal poster, which features the Crimestoppers telephone number, as far afield as they can.

Family friend Andrew Renwick told Sky News that support for the search had been "overwhelming" and her family were extremely grateful.

Mrs McCann said: "The purpose of the poster is to highlight the distinction in Madeleine's eye.

"We want to make the most of it, because we know her hair could potentially be cut or dyed."

pray.gifpray.gifpray.gif

Madeleine.pdf

untitled.bmp

• 6 months later...

Okay it was a hoax.

A SIGHTING of Madeleine McCann in Bosnia was last night dismissed by police as a cruel hoax.

A Catholic pilgrim claimed to have seen the missing girl while visiting a holy shrine to the Virgin Mary.

The Irishman tipped off private eyes hired by parents Kate and Gerry by calling their international hotline. But police in Bosnia last night rejected the sighting, saying it had never been reported to them.

They said every officer in the town of Medjugorje, south-west Bosnia – where visions of the Virgin Mary are said to have appeared – was questioned and none knew anything about the alleged sighting.

Regional police spokesman Mario Bosnjak said: "Every single policeman has denied receiving any kind of a report regarding the missing girl.

"And no-one from the British or Portuguese authorities has contacted us regarding the case."

A police source said: "It is a mystery within a mystery.

"The first place for anyone who sees Madeleine to go is to the police, yet we have not heard from this man who says he saw her.

"He is a religious man. Maybe it was a vision."

Madeleine vanished from Praia da Luz, Portugal, on May 3, two days before her fourth birthday.

The pilgrim, from Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, said he saw a girl matching her description being bundled into a car, crying: "I want my daddy."

He said: "I was about to speak to the child when the man put his hand over her mouth and shoved her into the car.

"The couple were speaking a foreign language, yet the girl cried out in English. My blood ran cold when I heard her cry: 'I want my daddy.'

"I am convinced it could have been Maddie."

The man noted down the car's registration number and gave it to investigators hired by parents Kate and Gerry McCann, both 39.

Last night, detectives in Portugal ruled out the theory Madeleine had been buried at sea after a hi-tech navy search failed to find her body.

But they remain convinced Madeleine is dead.