Tunes Not Raags?

Fateh Ji.

Was looking at the "keertan maryada" posted earlier and scrolled down the list of raags. For some reason, I couldn't recall anything so I tried thinking of something else.

Anyhoo, when the salok of JapJi Sahib and the last Salok of the Guru (ਤੇਰਾ ਕੀਤਾ ਜਾਤੋ ਨਾਹੀ ਮੈਨੋ ਜੋਗੁ ਕੀਤੋਈ ॥ I have not appreciated what You have done for me, Lord; only You can make me worthy.), are recited, they always seem to be sung in a tune, rather than just recited like normal Bani.

Is there a reason for this? Is it a raag (not that one is given)? Who came up with it?

Fateh Ji.

Was looking at the "keertan maryada" posted earlier and scrolled down the list of raags. For some reason, I couldn't recall anything so I tried thinking of something else.

Anyhoo, when the salok of JapJi Sahib and the last Salok of the Guru (ਤੇਰਾ ਕੀਤਾ ਜਾਤੋ ਨਾਹੀ ਮੈਨੋ ਜੋਗੁ ਕੀਤੋਈ ॥ I have not appreciated what You have done for me, Lord; only You can make me worthy.), are recited, they always seem to be sung in a tune, rather than just recited like normal Bani.

Is there a reason for this? Is it a raag (not that one is given)? Who came up with it?

The salok of Jap Ji Sahib is sung in Majh because the same Salok (By Guru Angad Sahib) appears in the chapter of Majh. It's an old tradition to sing it that way, because puratan sangats actually followed the kirtan maryada laid down by Guru Sahib.

Technically, that salok can be sung any which way you want to because it doesn't have a raaga attached to it, but most sangats do it in Majh because an identical salok is found in Majh.

as for the Mundavni Salok, I'm not sure which raag its being sung in, but it can be any raag since Mundanvi isn't a raag. Most likely the tune is old and is just a tradition among people.