Lack Of Time

jii

Time.

Is it right for one to say that they do not have time to go to the Gurdwara?

For some students who have to study for exams or have coursework deadlines to meet, may from time to time not be able to attend the Gurdwara on their regular basis, as their studies would suffer. But is this the right choice to make?

Its like saying one has no time for God on the one hand, whereas on the other, if one does not take the time to study, one would not achieve their appropriate grades to reach their ultimate future job; which in return would stand as the basis to financially support their family.

Looking at this approach, would it be just to take a ‘time-out’ from attending the Gurdwara?

I have often faced situations as such, where one can not simply attend. I just wondered what your views are on this matter. of course, people have said one should make time; but in day and age, without working to earn a hard living wage it cause difficulties in supporting ones family.

At the end of the day, I personally feel that sava can be performed anywhere, whether its giving up a seat for an elderly lady on the bus, or by giving money to the poor. So long as one is performed a deed to help another.

Furthermore, correct me if I’m wrong, but I feel so long as one shows their love for God in their heart and performs sikhi values on an everyday basis, it may not render much difference in attending Gurdwara, BUT on the basis that one is unable to attend due to ‘time’.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

It is always a balance: kirth karo, vandh chako, and naam japo

You've got to meditate with sangat on naam, volunteer and do seva, but you also must "live" and "work hard" as well. A truly balanced life must incorporate all three into it.

So yes, sometimes if exams are around the corner, take some time and maybe study instead of something else... but balance it out later when you are more free.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

It is always a balance: kirth karo, vandh chako, and naam japo

You've got to meditate with sangat on naam, volunteer and do seva, but you also must "live" and "work hard" as well. A truly balanced life must incorporate all three into it.

So yes, sometimes if exams are around the corner, take some time and maybe study instead of something else... but balance it out later when you are more free.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

that is well put my friend. could you translate what kirth karo, vandh chako, and naam japo means please; and is this quoted from the SGGSJ?

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Well, the phrase "Naam Japo, Kirt Karo, Vand Chako" has been attributed to Guru Nanak. In essence it means:

Naam Japo: Meditate on Waheguroo

Kirt Karo: Earn an honest living (Hard work)

Vand Chako: Share with others (Volunteer time, effort, and money)

There are individual quotes to support each of these independantly, however I am not sure if they appear together in the SGGS.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!