Uk Terrorist Attack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6257606.stm

i always feel sad when these sorts of thing happens but also wonder if sikhs will be targets again like after 9/11...........we should do more NOW to educate as many people as possible about the sikh identity not just organisations but individuals aswell.........im sure anyone reading this can use a computer so people here should make leaflets themselves at home and give them out to people...........printing doesnt cost that much lol.............we should all do this and try to educate NOW.

Thats so true, not every gora etc are not aware of who sikhs are....

Making and giving leaflets is a good idea and posting them door to door, not everyone will read em but it'll make a difference at least. So if anyone has any ideas on what kind of content to put in it, please post ur views.

Madia is the place where the west will know who we are, and not confusing us with the Attackers.

But we aint spendin our money in the right places, making loads of gurdwaras is where its all going!! If were in the media in a good way the west realise who the sikhs. But i think we'll stick to the leaflet for now loll

yea sikh on the street is great but is it enough................we need a like a massive media campiagn or somthing!

This is a ongoing issue. When 9/11 happend these goris were thinking that all sikhs were terroist. This Bin laden had a turban and they think we are from the same clan. These pakis as much as they want to disgrace themseleves they bring us down with them.

Education is the only way even a little awarnes goes a long way. These people need to understand that we are two distinct differnt people with two clearly different views and morals.

However after 7/11 some of the goris have become more wiser they now realise that its a islamic threat they face not a sikh one.

Even then you do get dirty or scared looks on the tube and stuff.

Besides we should also be careful of those who will try and exploit the situation and spread hatred of "Asians" or "Pakis" in general. That is the danger because when atrocities take place some people are susceptible to make stupid reactions.

People should also talk about being physically prepared to deal with any potential backlash as well as running around giving out leaflets, which I personally feel will only make goray laugh at us as cowards.

we should try to sort this out ourselves, and with the help of all the uk sikh organisations, and put presure on national news papers, just to even once mention the mistaken identity issue, and who sikhs are and the turban.

i have contacted my local area paper several times and they just ignore me regarding this, they just dont wana talk about it. I rekon if we can get a national news paper, several radio stations and maybe a news channel then at least we can reach a larger audience. This with a leaflet campaign all over the uk, maybe a set standard one, or he several going about already, should at least help us out a bit.

I have had several confrontations, which have been increasing constantly every month when im out in public places and even in the shop and once i explain about me not being a taliban and a terrorist and that we were turbans and the reasons theyve just walked of or apologised. My brother got threatened with a golf club by a goray the other day, due to mistaken identity this was in our local area where we thought people knew us well, but my brother didnt back down and dared the gora, when the gora realised there was no fear in my bro he stopped in his tracks and realised he met his match, but when my brother told him about sikhs then he apologised and ran down the street into his house........ I urge vunerable sikhs to be armed with some sort of protection and if attacked, defend the honour of sikhi and our kesh and dastar, becos some people are very ingnorant, and will pick on someone vunerable .....................there are no limits of a people whose culture is to eat all animals and drink alcohol (not all goray/kalay/ haray/nilay)

Does anyone know which uk organisations could be willing to help, we have alot who already work with media and government who could be very helpful if they want to ................

this goes for other countries to do similar campaigns.

Iv been using a leaflet fom SS in the shop, and im getting some done to put in the civic centre, libraries, and give some to schools, colleges, round universities, and basically any public place where i can put a leaflet.

we need to get schools teaching sikhi. most just teach about christianity and Islam in RE lessons, and may very briefly touch sikhism. well it was like this when i was studying, im not sure if things have changed?

in newcastle we have had several schools visit the gurudwara, as part of the religious studies, we even made langar of chips n beans for the kids sometimes

maybe more gurudwaras should open up to the communities, im sure many already do. one problem a school had was they had been riging for weeks and the sevadar didnt understand them, and kept telin them to phone later, then eventually they got the number of a commitee guy and then the commitee people werent organised, so then they got in touch with the sikh society and we had to bring em to our local gurudwara .............so sangat should be aware, many people from the community will directly contact the gurudwara, so a system should be in place where the appropriate person can be informed or someone can deal with isues quickly. every little helps

we need to get schools teaching sikhi. most just teach about christianity and Islam in RE lessons, and may very briefly touch sikhism. well it was like this when i was studying, im not sure if things have changed?

I just finished a Post Grad course and most of the goray/kalay didn't know what Sikhs were.

I also think that of all religious studies field trips most people go to Gurdwaras. Also Sikhism is briefly touched on in all courses. It is the daily one to one meetings between SIkhs and the wider public that matter the most in my opinion. A few weeks ago I was on the tube and some middle aged man with his wife was sitting next to me - she looked concerned and was saying something to him - he turned around and said "but he is Sikh" and nodded towards my kara. So a few people do know.

I also think that the indigenous people in the UK are quite suspicious and not very keen on religions full stop. I think this gets reflected in the media. We are no exceptions.

I'm just wondering if some major terrorist attack takes place - will it effect us? How?

Knowing goray - if we come all scared saying "please don't mistake us" they will have even less respect for us. Whatever our response it should not be one that is reflecting fear.

I suggest we all try and be more open and make more friends from the indigenous population. This is hard sometimes as some just want to hate. But seeing as the media is about as reliable as the weather here, I can't see them being of much help.