Gur Sathigur Kaa Jo Sikh Akhaaeae

Guest Akirtghan

Guest Akirtghan

mÚ 4 ]

ma 4 ||

Fourth Mehla:

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

audmu kry Blky prBwqI iesnwnu kry AMimRq sir nwvY ]

oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae a(n)mrith sar naavai ||

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

aupdyis gurU hir hir jpu jwpY siB iklivK pwp doK lih jwvY ]

oupadhaes guroo har har jap jaapai sabh kilavikh paap dhokh lehi jaavai ||

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

iPir cVY idvsu gurbwxI gwvY bhidAw auTidAw hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

fir charrai dhivas gurabaanee gaavai behadhiaa out(h)adhiaa har naam dhhiaavai ||

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

jo swis igrwis iDAwey myrw hir hir so gurisKu gurU min BwvY ]

jo saas giraas dhhiaaeae maeraa har har so gurasikh guroo man bhaavai ||

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ijs no dieAwlu hovY myrw suAwmI iqsu gurisK gurU aupdysu suxwvY ]

jis no dhaeiaal hovai maeraa suaamee this gurasikh guroo oupadhaes sunaavai ||

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

jnu nwnku DUiV mMgY iqsu gurisK kI jo Awip jpY Avrh nwmu jpwvY ]2]

jan naanak dhhoorr ma(n)gai this gurasikh kee jo aap japai avareh naam japaavai ||2||

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

One question i've had for a few weeks now, why did guru sahib say gur and satgur in the same sentence? so far i haven't gotten any proper explanation for this.

amazingly enough, i was listening to katha this sunday and bhai sahib outta the blue talked about this just a little bit. he said that in the first tuk guru sahib has used the word isKu and in the last tuk he used gurisK . now, here's what i didn't understand, he said that the extra GUR from the first tuk is attached the the GUR in GURSIKH in the last tuk :wub:

One very important thing to note, in the first tuk, guru sahib said SIKH, and in the last tuk, it has been upgraded to GURSIKH. this directly implies that to become a gursikh one must follow/do everything guru sahib has mentioned in this shabad and the first step to do all that is waking up at amritvela. time and again guru sahib has told us how important amritvela is and yet people like me tend to sleepin more often than not.

*** edit, the following paragraph is not correct as pointed out by Gurparsad below ****

both sikh and gursikh are learners/students. the difference though is this, a sikh is a learner, he/she can learn from anyone/anything (a student doesn't need to learn from the same source all the time). a gursikh, on the other hand, is a learner who learns only from their guru. something quite stuble i think. and the reason gursikh only learns from their guru is because guru sahib is the perfect teacher so there is no need to go anywhere else :wub:

the 2nd last tuk sends a very very important message to us that we hear time and again in gurbani, without kirpa one cannot walk the path, one cannot wakeup at amritvela, one cannot read bani, one cannot do simran, one cannot do veechar, so then what can one do without kirpa, only rot in maya.

I'll add my very simple/silly explanation of the Gur/Satgur situation. Maybe Guru Saheb said Satgur in order to qualify the 'Gur', as many people follow so-called Gurus and Babay who will apparently enlighten them through various techniques. So in a sense it's like Guru Ji saying, 'Not just any Guru, but the True-ultimate-eternal-greatest Guru - Akaal Purakh'.

Shreeman

A person has a job in the court of emperor and he does not attend it by time..........will he get reward or get punished?

Similarly the court of Guru Nanak's take place at amritvela and sikh is lying in bed at home.........What will you call him a Guru's Sikh or Kaljug's Sikh........?

Guest Akirtghan
but the first tuk doesnt refer to just any sikh... it clearly says GUR SATGUR KA jo sikh akhaae - so i think that the sikh/gursikh in the first and last panktees is pretty much the same.
ok i thought about this again.

we need to read the entire tuk: (esp. the first part)

ie. one who calls himslef sikh of the guru, so i could say i'm a sikh of the guru nanak and YET keep going to pandit and all sorts of other pepole. but a gursikh, there is no doubt in here that he's a guru ka sikh.

damn, i duno how to explain this blush.gif but i do think that a gursikh is the one that does all the things mentioned in his shabad and sikh is bascially i guess still trying to do em. gursikh does em already

well that doesn't make much sense blush21.gif

but the first tuk doesnt refer to just any sikh... it clearly says GUR SATGUR KA jo sikh akhaae - so i think that the sikh/gursikh in the first and last panktees is pretty much the same.
ok i thought about this again.

we need to read the entire tuk: (esp. the first part)

ie. one who calls himslef sikh of the guru, so i could say i'm a sikh of the guru nanak and YET keep going to pandit and all sorts of other pepole. but a gursikh, there is no doubt in here that he's a guru ka sikh.

damn, i duno how to explain this blush.gif but i do think that a gursikh is the one that does all the things mentioned in his shabad and sikh is bascially i guess still trying to do em. gursikh does em already

well that doesn't make much sense blush21.gif

Makes sense to me.

Guest Akirtghan

another shabad where guru sahib uses gur and satgur in the same tuk.

soriT mhlw 5 ]

sorat(h) mehalaa 5 ||

Sorat'h, Fifth Mehla:

ismir ismir guru siqguru Apnw sglw dUKu imtwieAw ]

simar simar gur sathigur apanaa sagalaa dhookh mittaaeiaa ||

Meditating, meditating in remembrance on my Guru, the True Guru, all pains have been eradicated.

qwp rog gey gur bcnI mn ieCy Pl pwieAw ]1]

thaap rog geae gur bachanee man eishhae fal paaeiaa ||1||

The fever and the disease are gone, through the Word of the Guru's Teachings, and I have obtained the fruits of my mind's desires. ||1||

myrw guru pUrw suKdwqw ]

maeraa gur pooraa sukhadhaathaa ||

My Perfect Guru is the Giver of peace.

krx kwrx smrQ suAwmI pUrn purKu ibDwqw ] rhwau ]

karan kaaran samarathh suaamee pooran purakh bidhhaathaa || rehaao ||

He is the Doer, the Cause of causes, the Almighty Lord and Master, the Perfect Primal Lord, the Architect of Destiny. ||Pause||

Anµd ibnod mMgl gux gwvhu gur nwnk Bey dieAwlw ]

ana(n)dh binodh ma(n)gal gun gaavahu gur naanak bheae dhaeiaalaa ||

Sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord in bliss, joy and ecstasy; Guru Nanak has become kind and compassionate.

jY jY kwr Bey jg BIqir hoAw pwrbRhmu rKvwlw ]2]15]43]

jai jai kaar bheae jag bheethar hoaa paarabreham rakhavaalaa ||2||15||43||

Shouts of cheers and congratulations ring out all over the world; the Supreme Lord God has become my Savior and Protector. ||2||15||43||