Families Of Beant’s Assassins Left Shattered

S1ngh

As the assassins of former Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh wait for the pronouncement of sentence by the Punjab and Haryana High Court, their families have been left destitute and shattered.

Harnek Singh, father of Dilawar Singh, the human bomb who killed Beant Singh, told TNS at his residence in the Guru Nanak Nagar locality here today: “I cannot term the act of my son as right.”

“Many hardliners are calling him a martyr. They may have collected crores in his name. However, none of them has ever visited the family for the past 12 years. They have being observing his death anniversary in foreign countries but nobody has taken the trouble to address the problems of affected families,” he said.

“Our family has survived just because I was a government employee in Punjabi University, Patiala. I am drawing a pension that helps us make both ends meet.”

He said Dilawar Singh was a jolly person. He never gave an indication of his allegiance to hardliners. “Just five days before he committed the act, I sought his consent for marriage. He, however, told me to wait for two months. The family was shocked when five days after the assassination of Beant Singh, we came to know that the person who acted as human bomb was Dilawar Singh,” he said.

Dilawar Singh’s elder brother works for a private company. His family remains aloof without interacting much with people in the colony.

Gurmeet Singh, another convict, was an engineering student when he became part of the plot to assassinate Beant Singh. His father Jaswinder Singh, who was a Punjabi University employee, died two years ago in an accident.

The ailing mother and physically challenged sister of Gurmeet Singh now stay in their house in Guru Nanak Nagar. Both of them are now surviving on the family pension.

Hardly anyone visits them these days, say neighbours. Both of them are concerned about the sentence to be pronounced on Gurmeet Singh.

The family of Lakhwinder Singh, another convict, is shattered. His house in Guru Nanak Nagar is in poor shape. None of his family members now stays in Patiala.

The house has been rented out. His father Darshan Singh, a sub-inspector with the Punjab Armed Police, has retained a room in the house.

He comes here for a few days to collect the rent. The tenants said the family was under immense tension. One of the sisters of Lakhwinder Singh tried to grab the house.

Their father, however, disowned her and her husband. His mother died in 2004 and his father now stays alone.

----

Any views... ?

If this is true then it is a disgrace. I've personally seen many programs dedicated to these guys being advertised at Gurdwaras (less so in recent years admittedly).

If this is how people treat the families of those they consider shaheeds then it says a lot about their true intentions and nature...no wonder the movement didn't get too far

i doubt very much that the families would be able to say to the Tribune that "yes, we have had thousands of rupees in support from abroad and we would like to thank BKI, ISYF etc..."

Im sure that the families that need help are being helped, its just something that you cannot shout off the rooftops.

Guest Dancing Warrior

A very interesting article thank you for bringing it forward, I think it reflects the reality behind the pomp that certain hardliner groups like to promote to fishhook youth who are easily impressionable, passionate and gullible at the same time. For myself I have concluded Hardliners and Governments are much the same both groups willing to go any depth to annihilate each other even at the cost of the innocent and both groups tell lies profusely.

i doubt very much that the families would be able to say to the Tribune that "yes, we have had thousands of rupees in support from abroad and we would like to thank BKI, ISYF etc..."

Im sure that the families that need help are being helped, its just something that you cannot shout off the rooftops.

Fair point.

Im sure that the families that need help are being helped, its just something that you cannot shout off the roof''

actaully most of the families need help, even the most ranked singhs families havnt been spoken too, i can think of several, and alot of the sangat would be surprised. but i wont post names on here. its interesting to wonder where all the money went.

I know when the Irish were in full swing against the British they had unions or funds to help support the families of those killed or imprisoned for along periods.

It would be sad to think, given the wealth of money that is possessed by some who supported the movement, that such people are actually blind to the suffering of the families of the very people who they supposedly honour as heroes.

actaully most of the families need help, even the most ranked singhs families havnt been spoken too, i can think of several, and alot of the sangat would be surprised. but i wont post names on here. its interesting to wonder where all the money went.

100%

Special Ardaas Benti Smagam

For the Chardi kalaa Of Bhai Jagtar Singh Hawara,Bhai Balwant Singh,

Bhai Gurmit Singh Ji, Bhai Shamsher Singh Ji and Bhai Lakhwinder Singh Ji

Who have all recieved various sentences due to there part in the killing of the dusht beant singh

Program details are as follows

Saturfay 4th august

5 Larevaar Sukhmani Sahib Paat Arambh 11.30 am

Bhog of the Paat Followed by Rehiraas Sahib @ 6pm

And then KIRTAN till 8.30pm

@ GURDVARA NANAKSAAR PLECK, WELLINGTON ROAD, WALSAAL

PLEASE MAKE AN EFFORT TO ATTEND, AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT TO THESE BRAVE GURSIKHS

Babar khalsa zindabad

never put your finger in the direction of matars as they back bone of are faith even if you are related to them.their sikhi is beyond question and are the beloved one to akaal purakh.only an infidel can question their deeds and their group

Babar khalsa zindabad