English Version Of The Guru Granth Sahib

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

Does anyone know where i can get a decent copy of the Guru Granth Sahib, with the Punjabi script and pronounciation of it and also the translation in English?

I have been asking my cousin to help me for one year (she lives in Southall and i assume it would be easy to get there?). Is there somewhere i can buy one or an internet site i could go to?

Also, if anyone has one, how much was it?

Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Akirtghan

-guru sahib is not a book.

-one cannot "buy" guru sahib with money. money is given as bheta (offering). ideally, to cover costs of whichever sevadaar has done the seva.

-i''m pretty sure that there aren't physical saroops available which have english translations.

-online is the best place if you want to read english translations. although, i must warn you that a lot of times, these english translations are either incomplete or incorrect or misleading.

here's a link

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?SourceID=G&pageno=1

try to take santhya classes if you can (even tho i myself haven't done santhya yet) this is where they will teach you how to pronounce correctly and also tell you the meanings of words :wub:

Guest Guest
Hi,

Does anyone know where i can get a decent copy of the Guru Granth Sahib, with the Punjabi script and pronounciation of it and also the translation in English?

I have been asking my cousin to help me for one year (she lives in Southall and i assume it would be easy to get there?). Is there somewhere i can buy one or an internet site i could go to?

Also, if anyone has one, how much was it?

Thanks!

......watch you're wording every copy of Guru Granth Sahib is decent.

Guest Narinder Singh
-guru sahib is not a book.

-one cannot "buy" guru sahib with money. money is given as bheta (offering). ideally, to cover costs of whichever sevadaar has done the seva.

-i''m pretty sure that there aren't physical saroops available which have english translations.

-online is the best place if you want to read english translations. although, i must warn you that a lot of times, these english translations are either incomplete or incorrect or misleading.

here's a link

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?SourceID=G&pageno=1

try to take santhya classes if you can (even tho i myself haven't done santhya yet) this is where they will teach you how to pronounce correctly and also tell you the meanings of words :wub:

:TH:

iv actually heard that some English Versions of the GGS are sold for over a £100 and No! Its not a "donation" but a sale price.

The starter of this post never called it just a "book" anyway...

And accept it or not, but there are some poor quality versions out there, so if one wants to buy a physical copy, make sure its a good one and wont fall apart after a while.

And if some internet translations may be incomplete and inaccurate, why post the link on this site? So other people who want to learn more about Sikhism are directed to false information???

Does anyone have constructive advice about where to get a good copy, with good translation? Rather than posting unhelpful comments and information...

Guest Akirtghan

^^ are you stupid? :D

iv actually heard that some English Versions of the GGS are sold for over a £100 and No! Its not a "donation" but a sale price.
thats totally wrong, if someone is found "selling" my guru i would beat the hell outta em.
The starter of this post never called it just a "book" anyway...
i can read between the lines. "it" :wub:
And accept it or not, but there are some poor quality versions out there, so if one wants to buy a physical copy, make sure its a good one and wont fall apart after a while.
agreed, although all saroops should be made by SGPC only.
And if some internet translations may be incomplete and inaccurate, why post the link on this site? So other people who want to learn more about Sikhism are directed to false information???
did you even read my last sentence rolleyes.gif

if you want physical saroop of guru sahib, you need to follow proper maryada. if not then forget about it.

Akirtghan,

You are unneccesarily aggressive.

No, i am not stupid, of course people "sell" the GGS. I think you are the stupid one, if you dont even realise it. Get out there into the world and see for yourself, thats if you can tear yourself away from your little computer, in order to see the real world...

I dont agree with it, but it happens. Open your eyes!!

What is the point of people to come to this site, to ask for advice, if all you do is try to cause an argument??

If people want to own their own copy that they can refer to any time they want, then why not help them do that? It is clear the starter of the thread wants to keep one and seems to be the point of asking "Does anyone know where i can get an English version...."

I just dont get why people like you are on here - arent we supposed to be helping each other to learn? Its people like you, that stop people replying to threads, cos there is so safety in even asking a simple question!

Guest Akirtghan

my first post was all the help i could give. i tried to cover all bases there.

i know people "sell" saroops, if i ever come across such a person .....

how would you feel, if someone called you "it" instead of your name :wub:

people are more than welcome to have guru sahib in their home, but the fact still remains in doing that proper maryada needs to be followed.

and i said the truth, if it hurts someone i could care less. i agree i should've used a lighter tone, my apologies.

my first post was all the help i could give. i tried to cover all bases there.

i know people "sell" saroops, if i ever come across such a person .....

how would you feel, if someone called you "it" instead of your name :wub:

people are more than welcome to have guru sahib in their home, but the fact still remains in doing that proper maryada needs to be followed.

and i said the truth, if it hurts someone i could care less. i agree i should've used a lighter tone, my apologies.

If "it" was used, be sensible and see that its not meant in offence, not as an excuse to kick off.

People have GGS in their homes which they just get from the Gudwara - dont act all superior cos you think you know best. Just let people read the Guru's word in comfort. Shouldnt we be encouraging people to read rather than reprimand them?

And if you could care less, then why have you offered apologies afterwards? You make no sense at all.

Perhaps you should get yourself a copy of the GGS and study it carefully yourself. You certainly need to study the Guru's words on acceptance and learning. Also, this forum is called "Seva, Support, Advice". If you cant give these, then dont respond.

Guest Akirtghan

it, do what you like.

again, read carefully what i wrote. i apologized for using harsh language not for saying the truth

btw, people like you are the reason we are losing all maryada that guru sahib has given us