Who Is A Sikh ?

Dear all ,

I am starting this thread as there are numerous threads where people have given strong points on saying , this is not a Sikh, that is not a Sikh.

I want to know what we all believe , perceive, expect , assume , want, wish, understand or know what a Sikh is.

In simple word what is required minimum to be called a Sikh. There is no limit on the maximum so we don’t need to talk about that on this thread.

Try to be brief.

Feel Free to be a part of this learning process.

I hope this is going to be a good learning opportunity for all involved.

Different views are welcome.

You could try to make your point by indicating your source, it could be your understanding, friend ‘s advice , family view, book, a saint, a religious person, Rehtnama, Shabad, What Guru Sahib is saying according to your understanding, organisation , website , feeling , even just a though of a moment, or have heard about, anything at all you have to say.

Please be honest and open about it is a learning process so be part of it.

Just remember it is about the minimum requirement to be called a Sikh .

====== Just to get started===========

Some most common things appear to be are:

1. Born in Sikh Family

2. Amritdhari

3. 5 K’s on somebody make them a Sikh

………and so on …..

above 3 are some of the prevailing ideas. They are not my belief or understanding I have written to just to get things started.

Main thing is feel free and contribute.

Thanks

A Singh

I'll put my neck on the block, how about:

Feels internally connected to Sikhism/Sikhs as their primary allegiance.

I'll put my neck on the block, how about:

Feels internally connected to Sikhism/Sikhs as their primary allegiance.

Well I quite second that.....

I rather say to be a sikh is equivalent of being a learner.....for a learner the learning never stops ...so in my opinion we all are in our journey to become complete sikhs.

In the context in which the question is asked I beleive that if an individual considers himself to be a sikh after getting to know the basics of Sikhism and what sikhisms message for the mankind ...he qualifies to be a sikh.

Fateh

Sat Sri Akal,

Sikh is the one who is reciting bani daily, has taken amrit or in the process of it.

Most important sikh refers to a learner, and this learning is the teachings of Gurus that are given in Bani.

For a person to be sikh he must be reciting bani daily ant trying to live a life according to it.

" In sikhism there is only one thing bani, the sole purpose of being a sikh is to recite bani and live a life according to it."

Read Bani you will find what sikh is?

A person just born in sikh family, not reciting bani and not at a path of it, in no means a sikh as he is not learning anything from Bani, so he is not a learner and hence not a sikh.

Regards.

Sat Sri Akal,

Sikh is the one who is reciting bani daily, has taken amrit or in the process of it.

Most important sikh refers to a learner, and this learning is the teachings of Gurus that are given in Bani.

For a person to be sikh he must be reciting bani daily ant trying to live a life according to it.

" In sikhism there is only one thing bani, the sole purpose of being a sikh is to recite bani and live a life according to it."

Read Bani you will find what sikh is?

A person just born in sikh family, not reciting bani and not at a path of it, in no means a sikh as he is not learning anything from Bani, so he is not a learner and hence not a sikh.

Regards.

If that is true then forget Amrit with a khanda because SGGSJ doesn't mention it or any other bani. Again you are purely emphasising the spiritual side without anything else. Like our own dasmesh pita didn't do anything other than recite bani! They trained, studied classic literature, hunted, made political alliances...what about all that???

Your definition is unidimensional.

They trained, studied classic literature, hunted, made political alliances...what about all that

They don't make you a sikh.

The question is who is sikh, and the answer it the one i give. If your definition applies then all are sikh.

For being a sikh one has to read Bani, without bani a person can be a good general, best Hunter, good poet , Even a good leader but not a sikh

"Bani says if you dont recite bani daily , the day is lost as the crop is lost without rain", for a sikh bani is evrything.

Bani transforms a Human Being to a sikh. without reciting bani a person cannot become a Sikh.

Since Sikh means disciple/follower/learner, it obviously implies you are following or learning from someone. In our case its Gurujee. So who is the best judge to decide if one is a Sikh? Obviously Gurujee :wub:

Spot on, I totally agree with you there. We cant be the judge of that, whom are we, we are merely the dust of the Guru jis feet, and that would be lucky too.

So we shouldnt judge, who what, not, only he knows, Guru Ji.