Gopal Tera Aarta

WJKK WJKF

I was reading this shabad and tried to lookup the meaning but it shows different meaning on sikhitothemax and sateek by Prof Sahib Singh..

here is the meaning from sikhitothemax..

gopwl qyrw Awrqw ]

gopaal thaeraa aarathaa ||

O Lord of the world, this is Your lamp-lit worship service.

in the shabad above aarta is given the same meaning as aarti..

where as prof sahib singh explains this as ..

Aarta means Mangta ( lodvandh).. if this is the correct meaning thn how come this is in the aarti section of Sundar Gutka that I have..

bhul chuk muaph..

This shabad is by Bhagat Dhanna Ji. Hindus do Aarti of their idols, and so Bhagat Ji said "Lord, I do your Aarta". Gopal means one who takes care of the creation, and is one of the names of the Shri Krishan as well, however, in Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji all names of God refer to the One Akaal Purkh and not to any of the avtars.

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=2642

gopwl qyrw Awrqw ]

gopaal thaeraa aarathaa ||

O Lord of the world, this is Your lamp-lit worship service.

jo jn qumrI Bgiq krMqy iqn ky kwj svwrqw ]1] rhwau ]

jo jan thumaree bhagath kara(n)thae thin kae kaaj savaarathaa ||1|| rehaao ||

You are the Arranger of the affairs of those humble beings who perform Your devotional worship service. ||1||Pause||

dwil sIDw mwgau GIau ]

dhaal seedhhaa maago gheeo ||

Lentils, flour and ghee - these things, I beg of You.

hmrw KusI krY inq jIau ]

hamaraa khusee karai nith jeeo ||

My mind shall ever be pleased.

pn@IAw Cwdnu nIkw ] Anwju mgau sq sI kw ]1]

panheeaa shhaadhan neekaa || anaaj mago sath see kaa ||1||

Shoes, fine clothes, and grain of seven kinds - I beg of You. ||1||

gaU BYs mgau lwvyrI ]

goo bhais mago laavaeree ||

A milk cow, and a water buffalo, I beg of You,

iek qwjin qurI cMgyrI ]

eik thaajan thuree cha(n)gaeree ||

and a fine Turkestani horse.

Gr kI gIhin cMgI ]

ghar kee geehan cha(n)gee ||

A good wife to care for my home

jnu DMnw lyvY mMgI ]2]4]

jan dhha(n)naa laevai ma(n)gee ||2||4||

- Your humble servant Dhanna begs for these things, Lord. ||2||4||

• 3 weeks later...

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa! Vaheguroo Jee Ki Fatheh!

After searching Mahan Kosh and looking at Prof. Sahib Singh's teeka, ਆਰਤਾ and ਆਰਤੀ are totally different.

ਆਰਤੀ :-

English - Hymn of praise, religious ceremony

Gurmukhi - Gurmukhi - A form of worship in which lamps are lit at night; A form of worship where lamps are circulated in front of idols (Hindumat)

ਆਰਤਾ/ਆਰਤ :- ਲੋੜਵੰਦਾ (need, want, necessity), ਦੁਖੀਆ (afflicted with pain, troubled, distressed), ਮੰਗਤਾ (Beggar, one who begs)

ਧੰਨਾ ॥ ਗੋਪਾਲ ਤੇਰਾ ਆਰਤਾ ॥ ਜੋ ਜਨ ਤੁਮਰੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰੰਤੇ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰਤਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Prof. Sahib Singh's annotations on this roughly translates to:

O Lord, Nourisher of the World! I am a beggar at your door (please fulfil my needs). You take care of all the affairs/business of all those who do your Bhagti.

Further notes on what Prof. Jee says:-

ਆਰਤ is a sanskrit word meaning ਲੋੜਵੰਦਾ - need.

From the Rahao tukk and from the rest of the Shabad, it's clear that everyday we ask for the things that we need and want in our lives. The use of the Shabd ਗੋਪਾਲ (ਧਰਤੀ ਨੂੰ ਪਾਲਣ ਵਾਲਾ - nourisher/sustainer of this world) further exemplifies this, from whom we would naturally ask or beg from (just like how we ask or even sometimes beg for something from our parents who have nurtured us).

Because of the similarity between ਆਰਤਾ and ਆਰਤੀ, this Shabad of Bhagat Dhannaa Jee has also been included with the other ਆਰਤੀ Shabads in Dhanasree Raag (starting on Pannaa 663 I think), otherwise there is no mention of 'Aarti' in this Shabad i.e. there is no mentioning of flowers, lamps and so forth which are required for Aarti.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The teeka also states that some people have written against this Shabad due to misinterpretations, but how can this be? Gurbani is perfect!

I think the Rahao tukk is pretty clear in understanding this Shabad. Bhagat Dhanna Jee asks for all these things (flour, ghee, fine clothes, a cow and even a wife to take care of home), but in essence, Vaheguroo takes care of all the affairs of those who do His Bhagti, and so there is no need to beg for these things.

If we are to beg, we should only beg from Vaheguroo only and no one else, as He is the only Giver in this world. Ultimately, we should beg for His Naam and the contemplation of His Bani...

These are just my interpretations and are most likely wrong, so take whatever you see good...

Beant bhulaa di khimaa.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa! Vaheguroo Jee Ki Fatheh!

Reference