Bhai Ajmer Singh Lodhiwal

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

(Taken, as always, from here).

Introduction

During the mid 80s, the movement for a free state for the Khalsa was in its early stages. Scores of Singhs were shot and killed with each passing day. Thousands of bright young men and women came forward to take up arms and fight the Brahmanical oppressors, who were bent on decimating Sikhi forever. The events of 1978 and 1984 had a deep impact on the psyche of every Sikh, this ignited a passion for Sikhi and transformed them into saint-warriors. One such youth was Bhai Ajmer Singh Lodhiwal.

head_ajmer1.jpg

Below is an interview with a Singh who was involved in the movement about the character of his beloved friend and brother Bhai Ajmer Singh Lodhiwal.

Interview with Bhai Gurcharan Singh

"My mother was a deeply religious person, but my father used to be in¬volved in the Naxalite movement. From one aspect the Naxalites were justified, as they were fighting for the downtrodden. But, as they were atheists, I always thought the ideology was incomplete. Without God how could they have achieved any real change? My father used to talk with me and my friends about many things like this.

Bhai Ajmer Singh Ji’s safe house

"As for me, I became involved in the Khalistan movement through my close friend Ajmer Singh Lodhiwal. Another friend of his got martyred in the struggle, and Lodhiwal had to go into hiding. For this, he came to me, and my house was a safe hiding place for him. He used to come to my dormitory room at college, too. Lodhiwal was a deeply devout Sikh, and he had a profound intellect. In conversing with him I learned so much, and I felt the pull of the mission for which he was working.

The Saint Soldier

"The biggest attraction for me was that, although Lodhiwal was living through the rigors of a very strenuous underground life, he was a baptized Sikh, and his commitment to Guru was total. His tremendous energy went to Guru and to the movement, both.

"Ajmer Singh Lodhiwal was also a very moral person. One of the things characteristic of him was that he always gave a warning, he openly challenged somebody before punishing him for his misdeeds. One important case involved the station house officer of Bagabarana, who was a Hindu. This SHO had insulted Lodhiwal's father, he had pulled his beard and humiliated him. So Ajmer challenged him. 'I'll kill you,' he said. That SHO accepted his challenge and retorted, 'You are my prey; wherever you are I will hunt you down and get you.' But Ajmer Singh Lodhiwal killed him right in front of the police station, in full view of everybody.

"My friend was very brave. He always gave people a chance to change, if they were behaving in an inappropriate way. He gave them two warnings, three warnings. But when they refused to change, he had the courage to finish them off."

(Part 2 tomorrow :D )

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh