quoted from sikhnet youth Forum

Deep Singh

Guest SikhForLife

"QUOTE http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/youth.nsf/3...33;OpenDocument

Just recently I saw the movie "Kal Ho Na Ho" and after watching 3 Karan Johar films, I have come to the conclusion that Karan Johar derives a sadistic pleasure in degrading Sikhs by cracking poor jokes against them in his films.

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai - Showed Johny Lever looking at his watch everytime he interacts with a sikh child.

K3G - Showed a Sikh mindlessly kissing and irritating Shahrukh.

and Kal Ho Na Ho - Showed Preity's granny looking for a sikh man to marry Zinta and when she shows the fotographs to her, Preity remarks that everyone looks the same....some sikh guests also come to see her in their house who upon the arrival of preity foolishly start clapping. Plus he showed some sex-starved sikh women.

I am sure that in all his forthcoming movies, he will take a dig at the Sikhs(his past 3 movies have shown it).

Some may argue that Kal Ho Na Ho takes a dig at Gujjus too my answer to them would be Gujjus have been targetted only in this film by him but Sikhs figure consistently and also we Sikhs have suffered immense humiliation in Indian Films time and again this guy always comes up which shows us in poor taste.

We have been very sportive since decades but there should be a limit to everything. My question would be is

there any way to express our displeasure to Karan Johar? we did that after kuch kuch hota hai but media highlighted it so much that it helped the film in return.

Kal Ho Na Ho is a history now, could we some how convince him not to show us in poor taste in his future films?

I am not sure if any of the readers of this forum have observed these things and what their reaction is..

Sat Sri Akal,

I too have been surprised by some of the depictions and stereotypes about Sikhs and other groups in some Hindi movies. I think there are two ways you can try to approach this problem:

Since many stereotypes are caused by lack of understanding, try to do your part to inform people about Sikhism, whether if it is through your actions or your conversations about it. Show that a Sikh is much more than the stereotypes and labels.

Next, you can try to write to some of the filmi magazines and express your observations and displeasure of these depictions in the movies. This will at least begin to bring some awareness about it to others and that is the beginning of change. You can also try to write to the filmmakers and you should be able to contact them through links on the film websites. I hope this helps.

GJ Kaur

"

END QUOTE

thats exactly why i refuse to watch hindi movies.. or listen to hindi songs.. or try to avoid buying anything Made in india.. i will not send my money to my enemies!!

Guest balwinderkaur
WHY NOT MAKE ours own??? Pandus aren't smarter than us, if sikhs started taking interest in making movies, then all pandus will grab their dhotey and run like a sacred dog???

Me and malang sahib always talk on this issue tongue.gif

sounds good to me... just boycott these bolly movies...they arent worth your time.

i started boycotting some 2 to 2.5 months back...i feel my life has improved...ya i have had to see a few since then coz of a friend of mine...but i told him flat that i have quit bollywood, and he hasn't bothered me since tongue.gif

the standard of hindi movies has gone down the drain...watching a normal hindi movie today is like watching an R rated english movie :)

i recently saw a stupid movie called Out of Control...shot entirely in New York...the guy is shown as mona n clean shaven and his name in the movie is Jaswinder Singh Bedi :@ :D @. in one scene they show a beautiful gurdwara in NY and 2 minutes later they show some strip club...it was one disgusting movie i had to watch with this friend and after this i told him NO MORE !!! :v :g

and yes...i have several stories emailed me to me by a very enthusiastic Singh from India...regarding Sikh movies...any1 thinking on this project seriously plzz lemme know...i can help u get in touch with him and we can work things out...

ITS TIME TO TAKE DOWN BOLLYWOOD wacko.gif

i have not seen bolly films in the last 5+ years.....only if it is something about sikhi...to make a judgement about it's attitude against sikhi....

never liked the boogass filma... :@ one word PROPAGANDA!!!!

i do not know if it may help to make Sikh films based on fictive themes....but try for sure jee. i do not know if there is any market for such productions... rolleyes.gif

seems like ppl are more interested in seeing all that bakvaas.

but make priority nr. 1, to educate Sikhs about Sikhi through Gurmat parchaar. make videos in english and punjabi about Gurdwareh! about Sikh history! Sikh culture! videos that contain Viakhya in English! and cerculate for free! remember the Rehit...only that will help jee! :)

and when you guys are done with that....start making a "Sikh Multimedia Encyclopedia", that teaches EVERY aspect of Sikhi jee..use time on that. every single word in Gurbani. translation, commentaries on every single Granth/historic writings hukamnameh, rehitnameh, every single thing jee...