Need Help On A2 Chemistry Coursework

Guest _Singh_

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gurfateh jee. I humbly Bow here is the procedure:

1) MEASURE 2.0CM3 of methly benzoate into a 50cm3 or 100cm4 round-bottomed flask. Add 10cm of the dilute 2.0 mol dm-3 sodium hydroxide solution provided, about 10cm3 of ethanol and a few anti-bumping granules. Fit the ater cooled condenser supplied.

2) Heat the flask gently, without allowing the contensto boil, for about 5 minutes and then biol gently under reflux for a further 14minutes.

3) Allow the contents of the flask to cool, remove the condensor and decant the solution fromthe anti bumping granules into a beaker. add then drops of methly orange indicator and acidify with 2.0 mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid. (You should need no more hat 20cm3 of HCL for this purpose). Filter the resulting product under reduced pressure.

4) Purify the whole of the acid producd by recrystallisation fromthe minimum amount of bioling water. Filter the purified product under reduced pressure and allow it to dry in air on a fresh pice of filterpaper.

5) Dry a small sample of the product by pressing between filter papers and determine its melting point (which is greater that 100 degrees) record this value inyour report.

6) Weight the dry product and record your yield in a suitable format.

This is the procedure "I humbly Bow" paa jee, could you pelase list the 5 observations and after which procedure they come into.

Thank you I really appreciate your help and I am so badly stuck on this coursework.

Thanks Again

Gurfateh Jee

Gurfateh jee. I humbly Bow here is the procedure:

1) MEASURE 2.0CM3 of methly benzoate into a 50cm3 or 100cm4 round-bottomed flask. Add 10cm of the dilute 2.0 mol dm-3 sodium hydroxide solution provided, about 10cm3 of ethanol and a few anti-bumping granules. Fit the ater cooled condenser supplied.

2) Heat the flask gently, without allowing the contensto boil, for about 5 minutes and then biol gently under reflux for a further 14minutes.

3) Allow the contents of the flask to cool, remove the condensor and decant the solution fromthe anti bumping granules into a beaker. add then drops of methly orange indicator and acidify with 2.0 mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid. (You should need no more hat 20cm3 of HCL for this purpose). Filter the resulting product under reduced pressure.

4) Purify the whole of the acid producd by recrystallisation fromthe minimum amount of bioling water. Filter the purified product under reduced pressure and allow it to dry in air on a fresh pice of filterpaper.

5) Dry a small sample of the product by pressing between filter papers and determine its melting point (which is greater that 100 degrees) record this value inyour report.

6) Weight the dry product and record your yield in a suitable format.

This is the procedure "I humbly Bow" paa jee, could you pelase list the 5 observations and after which procedure they come into.

Thank you I really appreciate your help and I am so badly stuck on this coursework.

Thanks Again

Gurfateh Jee

Ok well the observations i wrote above still apply to steps 1 and 2 (thats the 2 colourless solutions separating into layers, The separation wont be there for long in step 1 because of the ethanol).

You are testing pH changes; methyl orange should be yellow or light orange when you put it in the solution and then as you add the acid it should turn to red eventually. Or maybe dark orange, methyl orange isn't that good as an indicator!

The Acid will make the benzoic acid preciptate out...im not sure on this but i think it will be a dark orange colour becuse of the methyl orange staining the banzoic acid, and methyl orange takes on a dark orange/red colour with acids

Anyway it will be a white powder (or whiter powder) after recrystallistion

Thats all i can think of im sure its everything tho! Oh and btw its penji not paa jee

good luck with the write up!

• 1 year later...

im about to strat this coursework (the kinetics of the hydrolysis of esters and i am completely clueless as to what to do need urgent help :s

Is it OCR Board?.If Yeah den yes i mite be able to help.lol

yeah i think it is ive now gotta vague idea but still dunno :s