Sikh Pupil Excluded Over Bangle

Sikh pupil excluded over bangle

A 14-year-old girl has been excluded from a school in south Wales for wearing a Sikh bangle, or Kara.

Sarika Singh refused to take off the religious symbol because it is "a constant reminder to do good".

Aberdare Girls School said it has temporarily excluded a pupil for refusing to accept a governors' ruling.

Sarika's mother Sinita said she would challenge the decision. The uniform policy does not allow pupils to wear any kind of religious symbols.

Mrs Singh said she has the support of several local politicians and the Sikh Federation and is taking legal advice.

She said the teenager would remove the bangle for gym classes, or wood and metalwork, for safety reasons.

Mrs Singh said: "It's not jewellery, it's part of our faith and symbol of our belief."

She said they had a meeting with the school and argued the case with the board of governors, but they refused to allow her to wear it.

"We feel very strongly that Sarika has a right to manifest her religion - she's not asking for anything big and flashy, she's not making a big fuss, she just wants a reminder of her religion."

On Monday Sarika was excluded for a day and on Tuesday her mother said she was told she had been excluded for a fixed period.

Sarika said of wearing the bangle: "It's very important to me, it constantly reminds me to do good and not to do bad, especially with my hands."

Her mother said the Sikh Federation had supported them and she would do "whatever it takes".

The school has confirmed that "a pupil has been temporarily excluded for refusing to accept the decision of the governing body".

The governors rejected the girl's request to wear the bangle after examining the uniform policy and human rights legislation in detail.

Pupils are not allowed to wear any kind of religious symbols.

The school is known to have a strict uniform policy.

Muslim girls, for example, do not wear headscarves and pupils are not allowed to wear any kind of religious symbols.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/wale...ast/7081573.stm

Published: 2007/11/06 16:56:06 GMT

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

It is a comprehensive school, although I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps someone from England could clarify on that term.

PLEASE LISTEN ON RADIO, LOOK AT NEWSPAPERS, WEB SITES AND MAKE APPROPRIATE CONTRIBUTIONS.

Bhai Sahib, what would you class as appropriate contributions? As much as I would like to broadcast my opinions, I'm not sure if they will tie in with anyone else's.

It's bad that the school has banned religious symbols and is now telling the girl she can't wear a kara, but at the same time she has already proved that she is willing to take it off in some classes. No doubt the school will ask why it cannot be removed in other classes.

If/when this does hit national news, much of the public will see this Bhenji as the image of a Sikh, and it could well be the first time some are hearing about Sikhs/karas. But I think it should be mentioned, if not emphasised, that the Panj Kakkar are mandatory at all times for Amritdharis - those who have vowed to give their head to their Guru. For those who have not been 'baptised' it is a personal choice. Being a Sikh is more than just wearing a kara, although it is a definite starting point.

I don't mean to offend anyone, and if I have then I'm truly sorry. This is just one small opinion.

I was actually going to type that in my post but thought it would be off-topic.

I don't know the answer to that, and would really appreciate it if someone could give me one.

all panj kakkars have the same importance . . .wrt gurmat. . .when khalsa will have raaj then we wont have these issues in taking our kirpans off, untill then we will continually face these problems whilst boarding airoplanes etc. . .however. . .if you have enough kamai maybe you can make it go gupt or summit. . .i have herd that being done b4. ask panj payrey and follow there answer. . .truthfully i dont think we can justify it. . .however once a kakkar is removed from your boddy as per gurmat rehat maryada one shouldnt eat, and do paat. . .b4 putting the kakkar back on. japji sahib shud be done and ardaas for forgivness.

fateh

It is a comprehensive school, although I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps someone from England could clarify on that term.

PLEASE LISTEN ON RADIO, LOOK AT NEWSPAPERS, WEB SITES AND MAKE APPROPRIATE CONTRIBUTIONS.

Bhai Sahib, what would you class as appropriate contributions? As much as I would like to broadcast my opinions, I'm not sure if they will tie in with anyone else's.

It's bad that the school has banned religious symbols and is now telling the girl she can't wear a kara, but at the same time she has already proved that she is willing to take it off in some classes. No doubt the school will ask why it cannot be removed in other classes.

If/when this does hit national news, much of the public will see this Bhenji as the image of a Sikh, and it could well be the first time some are hearing about Sikhs/karas. But I think it should be mentioned, if not emphasised, that the Panj Kakkar are mandatory at all times for Amritdharis - those who have vowed to give their head to their Guru. For those who have not been 'baptised' it is a personal choice. Being a Sikh is more than just wearing a kara, although it is a definite starting point.

I don't mean to offend anyone, and if I have then I'm truly sorry. This is just one small opinion.

Have just given interview to a national paper - that we have read what she said on the BBC web site about removing the kara. We said we would not advise this. But at the same time we can not stop an individual who is not an Amritdhari from making such a statement, where presumably health and safety arguments are used.

Also Sikhs are afforded protection under the RACE RELATIONS ACT 1976, following the Mandla v Lee case (House of Lords 1983). Department for Education and Skills (or whatever it is called now) accept this. This means Sikhs are given added and greater protection than Muslims - only recent religious discrimination law may afford them protection - but they would need to test that in the courts and may need to take a case all the way to the Lords - as in the Mandla v Lee case (Mr Lee was a headmaster who refused to allow a Sikh boy to school with his turban).

Tell them to read ECHR Articles on human rights,do a search on the forum all info about Kara is there,I had a problem with the Police regarding my kara and was threatened with arrest,after speaking to a lawyer/solicitor on the forum I was told to tell the coppers about articles in the ECHR.

LIKELY TO BE NATIONAL NEWS IN THE NEXT DAY OR TWO . . .

School sends girl, 14, home for wearing a Sikh bracelet

DAILY MAIL

By NICK MCDERMOTT

Last updated at 21:41pm on 6th November 2007

A teenager has been excluded from school for wearing a religious bangle.

Sarika Singh, 14, refused to remove her Sikh bracelet, known as a Kara, because she feels it is "a constant reminder to do good".

A spokesman for the school in South Wales confirmed that a pupil had been temporarily excluded for failing to accept a governors' ruling.

Aberdare Girls School has a strict uniform policy which prevents pupils from wearing any kind of religious symbols.

Muslim girls are not allowed to wear headscarves at the school and all pupils are prevented from openly displaying their faith.

Despite the rules, the youngster's mother Sinita said the family are seeking legal advice in an attempt to challenge the ecision.

Mrs Singh said her daughter would happily remove the bangle for wood, metalwork and gym classes, for safety reasons.

But the 38-year-old wants Sarika to be allowed to wear the Kara at other times and says her calls have been backed by local politicians and the Sikh Federation.

Earlier this week, Mrs Singh had a meeting with the school and argued her daughter's case with the board of governors but they refused to allow her to wear the bangle.

She said: "It's not jewellery, it's part of our faith and symbol of our belief.

"We feel very strongly that Sarika has a right to manifest her religion - she's not asking for anything big and flashy, she's not making a big fuss, she just wants a reminder of her religion."

The Kara is one of the five essential symbols of Sikhism, known as the Panj Kakaars, or five Ks, which are worn at all times by devout Sikhs.

The iron bangle acts as a visual reminder not to commit sins and is the last thing Sikhs would look on before committing a sin with their hands.

Sarika was first excluded on Monday and then asked to leave classes for a fixed period yesterday.

The school's governors rejected the girl's request to wear the bangle after examining the uniform policy and human rights legislation in detail.

The teenager said of the bangle: "It's very important to me, it constantly reminds me to do good and not to do bad, especially with my hands."

Mrs Singh said she would do "whatever it takes" to change the decision and pointed out that the family had the full support of the Sikh Federation.

• It was revealed last month that a school in West Sussex had banned Christian pupils from wearing chastity rings but allowed Sikhs to wear religious bangles.

Christian pupils at Millais school were furious at what they said was discrimination after the school said all rings were against its no-jewellery policy.

LIKELY TO BE NATIONAL NEWS IN THE NEXT DAY OR TWO . . .

School sends girl, 14, home for wearing a Sikh bracelet

DAILY MAIL

By NICK MCDERMOTT

Last updated at 21:41pm on 6th November 2007

A teenager has been excluded from school for wearing a religious bangle.

Sarika Singh, 14, refused to remove her Sikh bracelet, known as a Kara, because she feels it is "a constant reminder to do good".

A spokesman for the school in South Wales confirmed that a pupil had been temporarily excluded for failing to accept a governors' ruling.

Aberdare Girls School has a strict uniform policy which prevents pupils from wearing any kind of religious symbols.

Muslim girls are not allowed to wear headscarves at the school and all pupils are prevented from openly displaying their faith.

Despite the rules, the youngster's mother Sinita said the family are seeking legal advice in an attempt to challenge the ecision.

Mrs Singh said her daughter would happily remove the bangle for wood, metalwork and gym classes, for safety reasons.

But the 38-year-old wants Sarika to be allowed to wear the Kara at other times and says her calls have been backed by local politicians and the Sikh Federation.

Earlier this week, Mrs Singh had a meeting with the school and argued her daughter's case with the board of governors but they refused to allow her to wear the bangle.

She said: "It's not jewellery, it's part of our faith and symbol of our belief.

The Kara is one of the five essential symbols of Sikhism, known as the Panj Kakaars, or five Ks, which are worn at all times by devout Sikhs.

The iron bangle acts as a visual reminder not to commit sins and is the last thing Sikhs would look on before committing a sin with their hands.

Sarika was first excluded on Monday and then asked to leave classes for a fixed period yesterday.

The school's governors rejected the girl's request to wear the bangle after examining the uniform policy and human rights legislation in detail.

The teenager said of the bangle: "It's very important to me, it constantly reminds me to do good and not to do bad, especially with my hands."

Mrs Singh said she would do "whatever it takes" to change the decision and pointed out that the family had the full support of the Sikh Federation.

• It was revealed last month that a school in West Sussex had banned Christian pupils from wearing chastity rings but allowed Sikhs to wear religious bangles.

Christian pupils at Millais school were furious at what they said was discrimination after the school said all rings were against its no-jewellery policy.

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADD COMMENTS, IT THEY ARE APPROVED USING THE LINK BELOW . . .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770