Omg - Help Needed

K4ur...

Guest peacemaker

Her best bet would be to personally call or talk to somone at the University to see if something can be worked out. Every school is different in regards to how they handle students who fail classes. Peronally, to throw someone out for failing an exam is just ludicrous.

Her best bet would be to personally call or talk to somone at the University to see if something can be worked out. Every school is different in regards to how they handle students who fail classes. Peronally, to throw someone out for failing an exam is just ludicrous.

It's not really ludicrous. I work in academia and most departments do not want to throw people out (as it's financially viable to keep the student in, even if they are very poor academically).

However, there is often some leaway....so I would find out how many marks she failed by (usually you fail a module if you get less then 40%). If she is border line she can appeal.

On some courses, where the demand is high (i.e. medicine, pharmacy, dentistry) they will be very strict in marking as you are going to become a professional so they would expect you to pass.

Either way, she should appeal.

But if she failed an exam and she knew she had to pass it to stay in, there is nothing she can do.

She may have to repeat the year or try somewhere else.

Guest peacemaker

Like I said, every University is different. At mine, in the U.S., they never threw you out for failing an exam, you could always just drop the class if there was enough time, but they would put you on academic probation if your cummulative GPA went below 2.0 (out of 4.0). If it went below 2.0 more than two times, then they would throw you out.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa! Vaheguroo Jee Ki Fatheh!

That's unfortunate. Each university will have different policies but for my course, I had pass each module (12 modules = 120 credits) by at least 40% to progress to the next year and to stay on the Honours degree programme. If first time exams were failed, supplementary exams had to be taken. If supplementary exams were failed, people had the chance to:-

>Transfer to the Ordinary degree programme

>Retake the failed exams the following year without attendance

>Repeat the year with attendance and retake the exams

Most often, if you fail the exams on the first attempt in the repeated year, then you are withdrawn from the course, unless you have mitigating circumstances, which can be an illness or a personal problem (i.e. someone passed away in the family). These have to be communicated with your personal tutor and proven through someone like a doctor.

It would be best if your friend speaks to her personal tutor (if not done already) to discuss her options.

Hope that helps.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa! Vaheguroo Jee Ki Fatheh!