Support Sarika

SarabhaPanjab

bump.. start signing!

When 200'000 Young Sikh men fought for this Nation in the world wars they were VERY quick to allow the 5K's to be part of the UNIFORM of the soldiers.

Why change uniform in schools now?

5K's is not a "symbol" of faith, its an intergral part of the Sikh faith itself.

Support Sarika..

Today Kirpans and Kara's...

tomorrow Turbans...

We're gonna end up like France.. Take a stand!

5K's is not a "symbol" of faith, its an intergral part of the Sikh faith itself.

Support Sarika..

Today Kirpans and Kara's...

tomorrow Turbans...

We're gonna end up like France.. Take a stand!

What about the kes then? Just as the Kara is an integral part of the Sikhs faith so is Kes. But I see no discussions revolving around this individual and the fact that she is not attempting to keep Kes. I dont see why people pick and choose which part of Sikhism is integral and which is not. It only causes more confusion.

How can turbans be an issue tommorrow when those kara wearers arent going to adopt Sikh Saroop anyway!!

EXACTLY!!! also her argument isn't even solid..its not apart of her religion because she has no religion because shes not Amritdhari...simple enough? if a amritdhari singh or singhni was saying it then it would be valid...But we should still sign because what if tomorrow they start telling amritdhari singhs or singhnis to take off there kakkars..

To the above three repliers- Two things.

1. It is not our place to judge her and say she isn't a sikh or isn't. She's doing an incredibly brave thing in trying to keep her kara, and who knows about her kesh? You could simply be mistaken, there could be some outstanding circumstance, or other unique causes. The first thing that should go through your head when you meet someone isn't how much of a sikh they are, because appearances, more often then not, are decieving. Furthermore, if she didn't feel some connection to sikhi, she would have just taken it off and we wouldn't be here discussing this. Not only that, but now that we are talking about this, say that she came across this site and you people were talking about her in such a way. She might get discouraged, and you'd be turning her AWAY from Sikhi.

2. Even if she does cut her kesh, then, legally speaking, so what? Say this goes before a judge, and no one supported her because she wasn't enough of a sikh. Say the judge rules against her and says she has to take it off. What happens, when down the line, an amrithdhari girl gets in the same situation, and the school tells her to take it off. The legal system uses precedents, and this would be called up, case closed. No one is going to let an amrithdhari girl keep her Kara now just because she's supposedly, "more of a sikh". This isn't about one specific girl taking a stand for her kara. This is about sikhs in general taking a stand for their karas.

Just something to think about the next time you decide to post as to whether or not a person is a sikh.

EXACTLY!!! also her argument isn't even solid..its not apart of her religion because she has no religion because shes not Amritdhari...simple enough? if a amritdhari singh or singhni was saying it then it would be valid...But we should still sign because what if tomorrow they start telling amritdhari singhs or singhnis to take off there kakkars..

Look at you people shes only 14 for gods sake ,even if a 'Sikh' trys to asert their belief in the Gurus you lot push them away,be thankful she wants to wear a kara,take things one step at a time.

To the above three repliers- Two things.

1. It is not our place to judge her and say she isn't a sikh or isn't. She's doing an incredibly brave thing in trying to keep her kara, and who knows about her kesh? You could simply be mistaken, there could be some outstanding circumstance, or other unique causes. The first thing that should go through your head when you meet someone isn't how much of a sikh they are, because appearances, more often then not, are decieving. Furthermore, if she didn't feel some connection to sikhi, she would have just taken it off and we wouldn't be here discussing this. Not only that, but now that we are talking about this, say that she came across this site and you people were talking about her in such a way. She might get discouraged, and you'd be turning her AWAY from Sikhi.

2. Even if she does cut her kesh, then, legally speaking, so what? Say this goes before a judge, and no one supported her because she wasn't enough of a sikh. Say the judge rules against her and says she has to take it off. What happens, when down the line, an amrithdhari girl gets in the same situation, and the school tells her to take it off. The legal system uses precedents, and this would be called up, case closed. No one is going to let an amrithdhari girl keep her Kara now just because she's supposedly, "more of a sikh". This isn't about one specific girl taking a stand for her kara. This is about sikhs in general taking a stand for their karas.

Just something to think about the next time you decide to post as to whether or not a person is a sikh.

Point taken. I still support the petition. But what I think we need to be careful about is to ensure we always explain the bigger picture and not show the non Sikh- people that Sikhi just boils down to wearing a kara. We have that misconception in the community already.

I went to a grammar school where a similar incident occurred, but my case was stronger than hers because I had visible Kes and Turban. The school took my case seriously. If I was a mona then I'm sure the school would have used that against me as visibly I was not looking like a Sikh therefore their conception is that I can't be orthodox enough to want to wear the Kara. Perhaps that's why Sarika's case shows weakness and non cooperation from the school.

I know of an 11 year old Gursikh who wears his kakaars to school, with the full support of the school and authorities. The school can see that this child takes his faith very seriously and is willing to compromise and support.