Mma, Boxin, Muay Thai, Grappling, Wrestling Problem With K's

Guest Singh Wanting To Fight

Guest Singh Wanting To Fight

I took amrit recently, and before i wrestled. But now i wanted to join a gym, to learn to fight and possible have amateur fights. What can i do about my kirpan and kara? Please give advice

PS. Ive done gatka for 3 years, so before telling me to learn it instead. Plz consider i already have

hmm wear a small kara on ur wrist (sarbloh of course) and put a wrist band on top (sweat band).

hmmm kirpan- jus wear it underneath ur top, and tuck it in sum how-in a respectable way.

i know some people who put their kara and kirpan in their dastar whilst training-not sure wether thts ok, i personally wudnt do it tho.

I do MMA Veer. I had a couple of competitive fights but found it unpractical for day to day living - ie coming to work with broken nose and bruised eyes.

What i did was use a small karra under my glove then use the hand tape to seal the glove to my hand. For my Kesh I used a rugby scrum cap with a small 2" kirpan inside as you would with a dumala. As mentioned it does work but very unpractical - More from a phsycological ie if you get dropped on your head you have the scare of being impaled or if you're in an arm bar the pressure applied could be in the position of your karra causing alot of discomfort - believe me I know! And tapping is not what a Singh does!

I now train harder than I used to when competing but spar more. When sparing who ever is your partner understands your faith and where not to strike.

• 2 weeks later...
I do MMA Veer. I had a couple of competitive fights but found it unpractical for day to day living - ie coming to work with broken nose and bruised eyes.

What i did was use a small karra under my glove then use the hand tape to seal the glove to my hand. For my Kesh I used a rugby scrum cap with a small 2" kirpan inside as you would with a dumala. As mentioned it does work but very unpractical - More from a phsycological ie if you get dropped on your head you have the scare of being impaled or if you're in an arm bar the pressure applied could be in the position of your karra causing alot of discomfort - believe me I know! And tapping is not what a Singh does!

I now train harder than I used to when competing but spar more. When sparing who ever is your partner understands your faith and where not to strike.

Fateh,

did u ever fight amateur, do they let u wear the kirpan, kanga and kara. how did u cover ur kesh?

Fateh

Fought pro for 2.

For my kirpan I removed it. I tried tying it in my keski but it was quite tough. I always felt exposed to head shots or coming down from a shoot. It could cause more problems than anything so for the next fight i remove my kirpan. Then decided that i didnt want to compromise my Sikhi for the sake of fitness or glory.

I have long kesh so that was a bit of a problem. Basically I tied a school boys patka with a really flat joori - then put a scrum cap over the top of that. As mentioned it worked but was a compromise.

Now in the gym I wear a normal 2 pagh keski, both at 3mts and all the people i spar with know not to take an over the head shot or in a clinch when a single tap means watch my crown! ....... havent tapped yet but i'm sure the day will come!

Link to the style of scrum cap:

http://www.pykessports.com/images/Puma%20Scrum%20Cap.jpg