The Thug and His Drug

Akaali

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Kee Fateh!

The Thug and His Drug

Gurbani is amazing - it can soothe an aching heart, it can break a proud man's stubborness. Yesterday it made me laugh. The great lover of God, Bhagat Kabir Ji called God a Thug! We are so used to calling God the Wondrous One, the Compassionate One, the All-Knowing One, but THUG - that's a bit harsh?

Bhagat Kabir Ji calls God a Thug who has drugged the whole world. Like those cases of rapists who use that date-rape drug. They spike a woman's drink at a nightclub, she passes out, they have their wicked way. When they wake up they have no idea of what happened the night before, but they do know they have been violated.

Bhagat Kabir Ji says, the Thug has drugged the whole world. No one realises they are under going suffering and sorrow because of the drug. Bhagat Kabir Ji says his drug has finally began to wear off and he has realised the Thug behind it all.

Yesterday, we had guests around the house. Observing them, I saw my brother talking to my cousin about business, share dealing, and little bits of deceit they do in order to make another £50. And their attachment to shares which meant they lost over £50,000 a few years ago...still hurt them just thinking about it.

I looked across at the elders, my Dad was talking the Uncles about property and investments. How the markets where going to change, interest rates where going up, alot of properties would be repossessed, people would need to rent - so being the landlords they were they would be OK.

I saw the kids playing with their toys then chasing each other. And the women cooking and chatting about punabi suits,

weddings, other people and food.

Just observed everyone intoxicated with the drug, believing the show we are all acting in to be real. Thinking we will be here for ever. Thinking we are someone's wife or husband. Someone's son or father. Hurt that somone died, happy that someone was born. Totally engrossed in their activity, no idea of the THUG behind their intoxication.

But feeling the separation from the True One, I just carried on smiling and talking but most importantly carried on doing SIMRAN inside, remembrance of IK OANKAR SATNAAM - The One God whose Name is "Truth".

This mind is waking up, slowly, but surely it is waking up. And Bhagat Kabir Ji says when he woke up the THUG was pleasing to him. Unlike the the rapist who drugged the woman. God the Thug is the most beautful, most intoxicating and wondrous being. Infact God wants us to wake up and not to stay drugged forever.

Bhagat Kabir Ji :

Whose son is he? Whose father is he?

Who dies? Who inflicts pain? ||1||

The Lord is the thug, who has drugged and robbed the whole world.

I am separated from the Lord; how can I survive, O my mother? ||1||Pause||

Whose husband is he? Whose wife is she?

Contemplate this reality within your body. ||2||

Says Kabeer, my mind is pleased and satisfied with the thug.

The effects of the drug have vanished, since I recognized the thug. ||3||39||

(Sri Guru Granth Sahib 331)

• 4 weeks later...