Saint Sukdev's Tests

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

There are many tests that Saint Sukdev had to pass before King Janak could accept him as a disciple. After passing all of the tests which were set King Janak decided to test Saint Sukdev’s concentration.

The following day King Janak came into Saint Sukdev’s room with a steel cup filled to the top with oil. He then told Saint Sukdev, “Dear brother take this cup of oil in your hands and walk around the entire city. If you manage to return to my palace without spilling a single drop of this oil I will know that you can concentrate and only then will I take you to the path of Akaal Purakh.”

Saint Sukdev smiled. King Janak then continued, “You should be careful though as I am sending the general of my armies to walk behind you with his sword unsheathed. If you spill a drop of oil on the ground in a flash his sword will cut your head off. So be careful my brother.”

Saint Sukdev thought for a moment and then took the cup carefully into his hands. He then began to walk towards the city where King Janak had set up many distractions such as exotic dancers, all the gold and silver in the world, rich food and other things which people usually pine for. This was all set in place to take the attention of Saint Sukdev’s mind away from the steel cup of oil he had in his hands.

But Saint Sukdev who had set out on this path to find Akaal Purakh and become a disciple of King Janak remained steadfast. Moreover the thought of an unsheathed sword following him meant his focus on the oil was complete. The fear of death spurred him on. In the end Saint Sukdev made it back to the palace without spilling a drop.

King Janak smiled at Saint Sukdev and said, “Tell me dear brother what did you see in my city? Did you like the sights and sounds?”

Saint Sukdev looked at King Janak and said, “Saint of saints there were no sounds or sights where I went. I only saw the cup of oil and the unsheathed sword following me!”

To be continued (Sorry)

Some people have said that this story is a metaphor. If you think it is could you please tell the sangat what the cup of oil and the sword represent?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

thanks for that, I'm really loving these sakhia.

Some people have said that this story is a metaphor. If you think it is could you please tell the sangat what the cup of oil and the sword represent?

I'd say its probably both real and a metaphor.

I think that the cup of oil is most likely naam simran + any other aids in our quest to Vaheguroo, e.g. Rehit, Bani etc.

While the sword is obviously as the sakhi itself tells us, (physical) death constantly hanging over our heads.

Another way to look at the sword is Spiritual death, because Raja Janak Ji did say that if Sukdev Ji dropped the oil, then the Guard would kill him with the sword,

so you could see it as telling us that if we took our concentration off our spirituality/naam simran/rehit etc. for the world, just like losing the drop of oil, we would lose our game of life and face spiritual death.

The city is maya, manifested in so many different ways.

Bhull Chuk maaf

Fateh.

The story is not a metaphor, but real life events of what occured in Treta Yug. Raja Janak was the father of Sita, if that is what you mean by metaphor. If not, there is also a teaching here, as the metaphors of the sword and cup of oil represent our Gurbani teachings; two major factors to overcome in order to enter Saachkhand.

The sword represents DEATH:

ਮੁਇਆ ਜਿਤੁ ਘਰਿ ਜਾਈਐ ਤਿਤੁ ਜੀਵਦਿਆ ਮਰੁ ਮਾਰਿ ॥

To reach your True Home after you die, you must conquer death while you are still alive.

Gurbani constantly tells us to remember death first, and then HOPE and EGO which was the cup of oil. It also represented desires of Maya:

ਪਹਿਲਾ ਮਰਣੁ ਕਬੂਲਿ ਜੀਵਣ ਕੀ ਛਡਿ ਆਸ ॥

First, accept death, and give up any hope of life.

ਹੋਹੁ ਸਭਨਾ ਕੀ ਰੇਣੁਕਾ ਤਉ ਆਉ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਪਾਸਿ ॥੧॥

Become the dust of the feet of all, and then, you may come to me. ||1||

Saint Sukdev ji passed all tests mentioned in the gurbani above; first he became the dust of the feet of all by humbly accepting Raja Janak as his teacher. The second was accepting the reality of death to be there watching us and waiting for us to make that mistake, that sin so that we become weak and helpless being under his power. The third is hope; this hope and desire is derived from EGO and Maya. If he let this ego win by falling for Maya he would have lost his goodness and spirituality (naam, amrit) which represents the drop of oil from the cup, as when that happens Death has power over us. EGO, DEATH, DESIRE and MAYA are our enemies, our aim is not to let them win, because when we win our mind becomes firm and balanced, as we become awake and aware, living in reality. In this way, we cross the worldly ocean easily, uneffected by Maya; what our senses desire.

If anyone does not agree please share the knowledge you have on this.

• 4 weeks later...