Need Help To Get Up At Amritvela.....

Guest sleepy

There is no point in forcing oneself to wakeup in the morning. It shall happen on its own when there is pang for the incomprehensible.
Isn't that the same as saying, there's no point reading bani. It shall happen on its own ....

i agree

I don't have desire to wakeup in the morning, how does one buid it then?

force yourself.

maharaaj will do kirpa.

from personal experience, force yourself to get up every morning without fail for a month, (whether you want to or not) and eventually you will look forward to getting up for amritvela. there was a point when id go to sleep very 'happy' about getting up the following morning because i knew amritvela was coming and there was nothing else id rather do than nitnem. unfortunately this is no longer the case which is due to a huge error of mine.

but seriously. you could sit around forever waiting for 'the desire.'

what if it doesnt come? then what?

'dharamraj, i would have got up but i was waiting for the desire. before i knew it...here i was.'

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Please give me some tips on waking up (and getting out of bed!) at Amritvela, and time management in general - I managed once upon a time but for a few months now it's gone pear shaped.

Thanks.

Fateh Ji.

I thought I might aswell reply to this post as one of my last posts. I think we need to first clarify what you consider as Amrit Vela. I consider Amrit Vela to change seasonally. For me Amrit Vela is about being in tune with the natural time clock we have in our bodies. This clock is dependent upon light levels. When it starts to get dark our body's clock releases a chemical to make us get ready for sleep mode.....but obviously light bulbs interfere with this natural process. This is why many inner city birds now chirp through the night as they are confused about whether it is daytime or night time. Something I believe animal rights people are looking into.

Anyways the first thing to do is to identify when it is getting dark. I always use rehraas sahib as an indicator. Rehraas sahib should be done just as the sun is going down. In our house we call it andar bahar time. This time varies daily but if u switch the lights off in ure house its when the light from outside reaching inside is bluey. I actually do my rehraas sahib paath with only the outside light (it makes an amazing atmosphere).

Between Rehraas and Kirtan Sohila you mentally prepare yourself that in 4 hours time u are gonna go to bed. So basically plan what you can do in those 4 hours. Another thing I forgot to say is wash arms, hands, feet and face before doing any prayers. Do the same for Kirtan Sohila but brush teeth and get ready for bed also. Make sure you sleep at a reasonable hour!

I normally do Kirtan Sohila paath in the dark. This will benefit you lots cos the clock in our body automatically starts getting ready for bed time so when you sleep you have a proper sleep and can get up early in the morning. After you have done Kirtan Sohila do ardaas and focus saying please God let me get up at Amrit Vela. By the way I was talking to someone and I discovered that they just do prayers and no ardas! But the way I have been taught is that you always do Ardaas after any prayer. Please make sure you do Ardaas with your prayers and do so without electrical lights! If you know bani off by heart this should be easy.

Now let me go back to what I said in the beginning. I consider Amrit Vela to change as the sun rises at different time. Normally I believe Amrit Vela is about 3/4 Hours before sunrise and it finishes as soon as the sun as risen. Because you went to sleep ready in sleep mode (prayed in the dark) and told yourself you would get up at amrit vela it works all by itself. YOU REALLY NEED TO SLEEP WANTING TO GET UP.

Other things which will help you is the temperature in your room. Try to keep ithe temp cool and around Amrit Vela the temperature outside takes a huge dip (If anyone has slept on the streets or without a heater you will know there is a very distinct temperature drop in the night/morning). I think the drop is to do with the clouds moving but thats degressing. Anyways the temperature takes this dip and its like a mini auto alarm cos its around the start of Amrit Vela. These days I don't need an alarm but u can use an alarm if you want but slowly try to progress to just knowing.

So now your up for Amrit Vela but you have to make sure you are doing Amrit Vela properly to get lahah. I have found that the way people practise Amrit Vela varies too! I shower first and then I read my bani wearing fresh new clean clothes. I do all this in the dark. As I start reading bani the light levels change and I finish just as the sun is rising. Please don't use electrical lights as it messes up the natural body clock.

I know this will require discipline but I hope it helped. Sorry if I said anything wrong.

Waheguru ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

PS - If anybody would like to know more about the MAIN hormone then its called melatonin.

Production of melatonin by the pineal gland is inhibited by light and permitted by darkness. For this reason melatonin has been called "the hormone of darkness" and its onset each evening is called the Dim-Light Melatonin Onset (DLMO). Secretion of melatonin, and its level in the blood, peaks in the middle of the night, and gradually falls during the second half of the night, with normal variations in timing according to an individual's chronotype.

Until recent history, humans in temperate climates were exposed to up to 18 hours of darkness in the winter. In the modern world, artificial lighting reduces this to typically eight hours or less per day all year round. Even low light levels inhibit melatonin production to some extent, but over-illumination can create significant reduction in melatonin production.

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_response_curve