Why Arn't Thier More Sikh Athletes

mandeep99

Kudos to all the athletes mentioned here that have made the achievements they have. They’ve likely overcome subtle racist attitudes and so many seem so committed and dignified. I wish them the utmost success and they should be proud of their achievements.

However, were do we get the nerve to claim that they are Sikh? Are we reducing Sikhi to caste? They may admire sikhi. A sikhi perspective may admire them.

But misleading and destructive to the preservation of sikhi roop to repeatedly suggest that this is representative of a Sikh.

Don’t challenge me. I am only trying to be Sikh myself.

If you want to challenge and rebut, then post your rebuttal directed to Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Speak to him as to what regard you have for heads of Sikhs.

Punjab link

I guess by “so it begins smilie”… you mean to suggest some type of conflict riddled debate. I’d like to nip that suggestion in the bud.

Dalsingh has replied in a very dignified manner each time with his perspective. Mandeep99 has also offered an opinion with some valid comments.

I may disagree with them in conclusion or to degrees, but there is no “so it begins” contemplated here. I consider them brothers here without considering their background and trust they are mature enough to debate in a spirited manner on things they may feel strongly about, yet continue to contribute to our unity.

Dalsingh…

Ok, let them deal with Guru Ji direct. Like you will probably be having some difficulties following Sikhi fully yourself, so do others.

I took issue not with the mona athletes.

I took issue with our unqualified, repeated misrepresentation of SIKHI in this very thread. WE purport to be proud of SIKH athletes. WE are suggesting that these people REPRESENT SIKHI without any qualifications.

You can talk endlessly about the people who do have the saroop and do all manner of evil/corrupt things. Look at the vast majority of Sikh "leaders" as examples. I think Guru ji will be more upset with them then the people you are talking about.

I agree with you that Sikh leaders who do evil/corrupt things is ALSO bad, but that is not the issue I raised. If I say X is a cause for concern. It is not a valid rebuttal to say Y is worse than X, therefore X is acceptable.

Truth is, if their was a mona who was world class at, say boxing, then i think most Sikhs regardless of backgrounds would be happy.

Sikhs would be happy for anyone that is world class at boxing. That is a worthy human achievement whether one is mona, sikh, jew or hindu. Sikhs will not be happy that anyone regardless of status, voluntarily chop their kes while claiming sikhi. Anti-sikh forces throughout history could not ask for a greater weapon than a caste pride misrepresenting itself as sikhi, a perfect internal rot.

Even if they aren't practising Sikhs they still come from Sikh backgrounds and will have historical roots to the Khalsa. You know those Khalsas that shook up the earth and changed the cultural and political scope of Panjab and the surrounding area. Not the ones around today. The indisputable fact is that many of the everyday people you see around are the direct blood descendants of Khalsa soldiers. You may not feel they have any right to any sort of linkage to Sikh history but that doesn't change historical fact.

“Rehat pyari mujko, Sikh pyara nahe”. You speak of blood descendants of Khalsa soldiers. It is Amrit descendants of Khalsa soldiers who believe in sarbat da bhalla. Blood is for followers of caste and clan.

I think what you may be trying to suggest about everyday (‘sikh’) people is that they have some attachment at various levels to Sikhi. Perhaps they did not have the opportunities or circumstances to have rehit. Many, like myself, may be doing their best to learn. I know a few who in my mind are hero’s to Sikhi but do not have kes. They would never say a Sikh is anything short of Khalsa. They would never suggest that someone without kes could be a symbol of pride for Sikhs. Like Maharaja Ranjit Singh, their humility would permit them to publicly acknowledge their shortcomings as Sikhs.

Close your eyes and talk about the implications of the representations of “Sikh” pride to Bhai Mani Singh, Bhai Taru Singh, Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Chhote Sahibzade, Guru Teg Bahadur, Mai Bhago. They are listening even if you don’t utter the words. They will hear your soul speak, guide it with care.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic