Girl Power

There is a similar trend in global-society, and even within contemporary Sikhi that I was totally oblivious too until it was pointed out to me. If you ever examine this matter, then you will also realize the truth in it. In Sikhi when you think of girl-power, who comes to mind? Naturally the first image that comes to mind is Mata Bhag Kaur Ji (mwqw Bwg kOr jI aka Mai Bhago mweI Bwgo jI), Mata Sada Kaur Ji (mwqw sdw kOr jI) or other female-warriors. Rarely will anyone tell you that they initially pictured Mata Sahib Kaur Ji (jgq mwqw swihb kOr jI; Mother of the Khalsa) or Mata Khivi Ji (jgq mwqw KIvI jI Guru Angad dev sahib ji’s wife & a sevadar syvwdwr of the highest eminence).

Sangat Ji, this is just a way of demonstrating that young Sikhs and Sikh girls especially associate the notion of girl-power with female soldiers, warriors, and group leaders etc. In short, they associate girl-power with roles that were traditionally given to men. As females we think that in order to be considered equals in a male-dominant society, we need to show competence in the same fields as men: i.e. demonstrate the ability to fight in battle, being group leaders, and being the alpha-dog etc. Many girls in western society believe that fulfilling traditional female roles are demeaning: i.e. Rearing children, providing guidance for family members, cooking for the family, and completing house-hold chores etc.

I would like to ask:

Are the women who stayed home and raised their children less heroic than those that went to battle & fought alongside the Singhs?

It’s my humble belief that a Sikh woman’s ultimate seva (syvw)to the panth is raising her children to be complete Gurmukhs and provide support and guidance to members of her home. Although I firmly believe that if they were ever called upon the daugthers of the panth would lead for Sikhi and bleed for Sikhi, we must realize that Sikh mothers have a role in protecting our traditions that no other member of our nation has.

bery true bhenji

his Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Jaithsree on Pannaa 697

jYqsrI mhlw 4 ]

jaithasaree mehalaa 4 ||

Jaitsree, Fourth Mehla:

ijn hir ihrdY nwmu n bisE iqn mwq kIjY hir bWJw ]

jin har hiradhai naam n basiou thin maath keejai har baa(n)jhaa ||

The Lord's Name does not abide within their hearts - their mothers should have been sterile.

iqn suM\I dyh iPrih ibnu nwvY Eie Kip Kip muey krWJw ]1]

thin su(n)n(j)ee dhaeh firehi bin naavai oue khap khap mueae karaa(n)jhaa ||1||

These bodies wander around, forlorn and abandoned, without the Name; their lives waste away, and they die, crying out in pain. ||1||

myry mn jip rwm nwmu hir mwJw ]

maerae man jap raam naam har maajhaa ||

O my mind, chant the Name of the Lord, the Lord within you.

hir hir ik®pwil ik®pw pRiB DwrI guir igAwnu dIE mnu smJw ] rhwau ]

har har kirapaal kirapaa prabh dhhaaree gur giaan dheeou man samajhaa || rehaao ||

The Merciful Lord God, Har, Har, has showered me with His Mercy; the Guru has imparted spiritual wisdom to me, and my mind has been instructed. ||Pause||

hir kIriq kljuig pdu aUqmu hir pweIAY siqgur mwJw ]

har keerath kalajug padh ootham har paaeeai sathigur maajhaa ||

In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Kirtan of the Lord's Praise brings the most noble and exalted status; the Lord is found through the True Guru.

hau bilhwrI siqgur Apuny ijin gupqu nwmu prgwJw ]2]

ho balihaaree sathigur apunae jin gupath naam paragaajhaa ||2||

I am a sacrifice to my True Guru, who has revealed the Lord's hidden Name to me. ||2||

drsnu swD imilE vfBwgI siB iklibK gey gvwJw ]

dharasan saadhh miliou vaddabhaagee sabh kilabikh geae gavaajhaa ||

By great good fortune, I obtained the Blessed Vision of the Darshan of the Holy; it removes all stains of sin.

siqguru swhu pwieAw vf dwxw hir kIey bhu gux swJw ]3]

sathigur saahu paaeiaa vadd dhaanaa har keeeae bahu gun saajhaa ||3||

I have found the True Guru, the great, all-knowing King; He has shared with me the many Glorious Virtues of the Lord. ||3||

ijn kau ik®pw krI jgjIvin hir auir DwirE mn mwJw ]

jin ko kirapaa karee jagajeevan har our dhhaariou man maajhaa ||

Those, unto whom the Lord, the Life of the world, has shown Mercy, enshrine Him within their hearts, and cherish Him in their minds.

Drm rwie dir kwgd Pwry jn nwnk lyKw smJw ]4]5]

dhharam raae dhar kaagadh faarae jan naanak laekhaa samajhaa ||4||5||

The Righteous Judge of Dharma, in the Court of the Lord, has torn up my papers; servant Nanak's account has been settled. ||4||5||