Who Was Guru Nanak: Guru Or Lord

No difference. The Guru and God are truly one, yet the guru says to be lowest of the low, servant of his entire creation but this his nimrata. In reality, he is the highest of high. He is one with God. He lives under the hukam. Its just God in human body!
I wasn't really aware of this myself. Out of curiosity, do Sikhs believe that God literally incarnated himself in the guru's bodies from birth, or that the guru's having attained enlightenment became one with God (as in Advaita Vedanta)

God does not incarnate as per the Bani of Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji. Primarily as if one was to incarnate they take birth. The Gurus are God manifest!

God manifested and assumed a form but did not take birth as Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. You can even see in Bhai Gurdas Dian Vaaran where it says - Satgur Nanak Pargatiya - the word pargat is used instead of Janam. Guru Nanak Dev Ji manifested or appeared. More can be read up on the play of the Guru's and their divine births in the Gurbilas Patshahi 6 by Bhagat Singh

It appears that there is no answer for this. However, I shall be grateful if some of you can opine.

thx.

Gurfatehji,

My knowledge seems to be limited but i feel that Guru Nanak Devji was a Guru who was blessed with HIS Jyot which united Guru with the Lord.

We all have his Jyot in us and may be that's why we are alive. We only need to seach our antar. We too can be one with HIM.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't really aware of this myself. Out of curiosity, do Sikhs believe that God literally incarnated himself in the guru's bodies from birth, or that the guru's having attained enlightenment became one with God (as in Advaita Vedanta)

Sikhism does not believe in Incanation Of God in human format. No where it is stated that Gurus were incarnation of God except Swaiayye as quoted by some of my friends.

Even if Gurujee referred to Himself as "hum", it makes sense. He wanted us to worship Akal Purakh only, and was not like the previous avtars who made people worship themselves. Of course there is no difference between SatGuru and Akal Purakh, but worship is only for Akal Purakh. This is the reason we don't worship images/idols of the Gurus, although some say its ok to keep them as a token of remembrance alone. H2O is in the form of solid (ice), liquid (water), and gas (water vapor), but which one can you drink? Only water which is the liquid form. One can't drink the solid or the gaseous form, even though all 3 are the same in composition (H2O). Same way, Bani Guru Guru hai Bani, Gur Parmesar eko jaan, therefore Bani = Guru = Vaaheguroo, but we worship only Vaaheguroo.

Please correct any mistakes

just wanted to point out, previous avtars didnt made people to idol worship them, they were given specific tasks by akaal purkh himself, they finished it and went back... its just movements that started idol worship of these avtars start becoming failures and thats what guru maharaj ji is discussing in sri dasam guru granth. Tat gyan in bhagvad gita and tat gyan in sri guru granth sahib ji is very similiar. There is no question about sri guru granth sahib ji is not clouded with empty rituals like compare with vedas. But at the end, tat gyan(nichor gyan) of scriptures written by previous avtars including guru maharaj are same.

if crap like this continues, i can see sikhi going down the drain like no 2morow.

Oh look at that, im in the future and i see many many sites and wat not bashing sikhism for being so contradicting!!!! lets join the gang with the rest of the religions (no disrespect tho) for their contradictions!!!

holly molly goaly!

if crap like this continues, i can see sikhi going down the drain like no 2morow.

Oh look at that, im in the future and i see many many sites and wat not bashing sikhism for being so contradicting!!!! lets join the gang with the rest of the religions (no disrespect tho) for their contradictions!!!

holly molly goaly!

I think it is better to wind up this thread. I am thankful to everyone who contributed to this thread.Regards once again.

Sikhi is not at all to be abused in the manner it is being done by using harsh language that should be avoided on forums where all are God lovers [as stated by one of the members in another post.]