What Do You Do With Hair That Come Out When You Do Kanga

Guest __Singh__

High Spirits Veer/Bhen Ji,

Nowhere in my post do I neglect the status, the mahanta of kes in my post. Kes are an extremely important part of our tan, as established by Guru Sahibaan. Nowhere am I rejecting this. Infact I do know the satkar of kes in our dharm. However what I am rejecting is the ritual of disposing them in a special way - since this is just one of many other quick-fixes we as Sikhs have adapted trying to please the Guru. The Guru really does NOT care what you do of your disposed hair or of you body. Unless you can tell me where the Gurus indicate otherwise, I have no reason to believe this.

However Bani again and again rejects rituals, whether it was in the form of wearing the janu, or tilak - where people thought they're doing a good deed in doing this, or whether it is collecting kes. Nowhere does Maharaj tell us to cremate our bodies. Maharaj DOES criticize those people who put much emphasis on – in Asa Ki Vaar. Miti Musalman Ki…. Again criticizing those who put a lot of emphasis on the dead.

Baseless rituals serve as quick-fixes. Gurmat and Gurbani rejects these.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not ritual, its kesan daa satkaar. If you don't feel throwing you kes in the bin is wrong then nothing anyone says will change that. No point in arguing.

To the post starter, paaji/penji you have two answers to your original question, throw them away in the kurraa or keep them and do the sanskaar of them. If still in doubt consult 5 pyaare who will be able to advise further as asking on SS will only give you countless points of view.

Vaheguroo jee kaa Khalsaa Vaheguroo jee kee fatehh.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

An interesting point V brought up: our own Guru Nanak displayed this when it came time... the hindus wanted to bury him, the muslims wanted to burn him. His response even after death: IT DOESNT MATTER!

So whether you throw it in the garbage (to be buried) or keep it and burn it (cremate it), it makes no difference. Just do what you think you are comfortable with.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Guest ----Singh----

Thank for the advice, i got 1 more question. exactly how do you burn the ur kesh i mean like u obviously wudnt do it on the gass cooker so where do u do it???

Fateh

Guest ----Singh----

Thanks for the advice, i was wondering exactly how do you burn the kesh, i mean you wont obviously do it on the cooker............ jus at little confused about that...

Fateh

Just a small fire in your garden, maybe in a metal based container so it doesn't melt! Maybe add ghee too, but before I did that I would ask some older gursikhs (I've not actually done the sanskaar of my Kes as of yet, I have them all collected).

To add, when washing Kes make sure those which fall out then are also treated with the same respect.

Taken from Rehat Maryada (published by Damdami Taksaal):

The hairs removed by the kangha are not to be thrown in a dirty place or on the floor. They are to be kept in a clean and dry place/container and when enough hair has gathered they are to be burnt, this is out of respect for the Kes which are worth more to a Sikh than his/her life.

Hope this helps.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

An interesting point V brought up: our own Guru Nanak displayed this when it came time... the hindus wanted to bury him, the muslims wanted to burn him. His response even after death: IT DOESNT MATTER!

So whether you throw it in the garbage (to be buried) or keep it and burn it (cremate it), it makes no difference. Just do what you think you are comfortable with.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Yes Guroo Naanak Sahib said it didn't matter how the body is disposed, but that doesn't mean we should start throwing bodies in the garbage or something.

I don't think many people are fussy on specifics, the main point is that your kesh should be disposed of RESPECTFULLY; throwing your Kes in the toilet or trash is NOT respectful.

There's a big difference between burying your Kes or throwing them in the trash 'to be buried.'

In one option, your Kes are not thrown around with filth you would never want to touch.

It's really not that complicated, people. Like CaptainC said, you could be more respectful and do sanskaar of them.