Parents!

xkaurx

Recently ive been finding it really hard to keep my sikhi strong, ive made so many changes since last year and now i just feel so down and lost because of my parents. yesterday we went to the gurdwara and i was sitting with my mum and the gianis were asking the sangat to join in and to jap naam and i just couldnt because i felt so awkward with my mum next to me! omgggg i felt so bad i really wanted to join in but i couldnt because of her. whenever i do paat she always questions me and says im being to extreme, if she asks me to eat meat and i say no she starts getting all moody you'd think your parents would support you but nooooo then she was talking about cutting her hair and I asked her not to but she didn’t listen, my dads just the same arghhh its so annoying i duno why they cant see the things the same way as me. sometimes it just feels like im wasting my time doing all this. I tried talking to my friends about this but they don’t understand. I never really thought id be the type of person to get hung up on this kind of thing but now ive realised sikhi means everything to me but its so hard doing it by myself :( anyone else been through something like this before?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first sis hang it there. u soudn reli brave and that shud give u confidence. i havent reli gone what ve been thru but when i 1st got in2 sikhi i used 2 gudwara all the time. mu mum used 2 say to me to calm dwn as ill bcome 2 extreme. and my uncle startd lecturing me on why i shudnt be khalistani etc. but i persisted and guess what my mum bcame amrithari b4 i did. reckon i changed her views. sis hang in there everything will be jist fine keep the faith!think of it as a test. a test im sure that u can pass. keep ur the good strong brave work sis

futeh

^^nice post

basically, u gotta hang in there, or stand tall if there's room to

dont let go, that's for sure

keep ur rehit strong

increase ur bani

and every other over played advice anyone else has given, cuz it s actually tru, we jus dont do it

Guest peacemaker

This kind of reminds me of the old school rap song by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince aka Will Smith entitled "Parents Just Don't Understand". It's in a different context though, but that song popped in my head as I read this for some reason.

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa,

Waheguru Ji Ki fateh,

My dear Sis,

At the moment Only Gurbani is the main support. I came into Sikhi a year ago and my mum dad and sisters everyone in my family stopped talking to me. coz I was from RadhaSoami family. But my dear sister no one competes with Sikhi.Just have faith in Akal Purakh one day everyone will be with you. I promise because I had same situation and I did not leave Guru at all. All those thing gave me more will power and now my mum keep my snap with her. U know Sikhi came from Akal Purakh and Akal purakh is in every one as Gurbani says " Ghat Ghat main har ju Base Santan Keho Pukar". So waheguru can change the mind of ur mum and dad too.

Don't worry about anything because if u will see the life of all Bhagats who got place in Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib then you will see it happened with almost every one.

But In Anand Sahib Guru Ji Said " Chaal Nirali Bhagtan Keri Vikham Chalna"

So our Chaal Nirali and Marag is Vikham..

My dear Sister I can't right much but there are several things that I can share with you and I am very sure that it will give u the power go ahead in Sikhi because those all are Gurbani experiences.....

You can contact me on my personal email: varinder_singh@xtra.co.nz or nzvarinder@yahoo.com

I will try my best to support you with the Bless of Akal purakh only.

Bhull chuck maaf karni

Guru fateh ji

I duno how to quote everyones reply on here lol so im just gona have to answer seperately

sher-e-moreau

If i sat alone in the gurdwara my mum would go mad literally and how exactly can you stand tall when every small thing turns into an arguement. Some parents need educating mine are never going to learn. My dad does paat just for the sake of it if i do it he got a problem with it lol he says 'teri umar ni hoye paat karan di' what on earth <_<

sherlsurj

My dads the same as your uncle, always says how khalistans never gona be real but nice to hear you never gave up :D im gona try my best not to as well

kharku

I totally agree with you, but whos the real father :p

varinder

firstlyyyyyy dont everrrrrrr give your email out like that so openly over a forum not everyones who they seem i could be a guy loll not that i am :lol: but next time be more careful please. my nanis a radhasoami as well what exactly do they believe in? i no she sees this baba in dera or something like that but not too sure. But what you said is right no one can compete with sikhi i just gota learn to be strong like all of you have said, guess im just finding it weird because most of my family including cousins n stuff are the complete opposite to me, its weird how a person can change so much over a short space of time.

by the way thanks for the replies everyone very much appreciated

I tried talking to my friends about this but they don’t understand. I never really thought id be the type of person to get hung up on this kind of thing but now ive realised sikhi means everything to me but its so hard doing it by myself :( anyone else been through something like this before?

everything seems a million times more difficult when you have no sangat :sad:

and thats where maharaaj comes in :)