New Member.

Hello all.

So, I'm new. I come from Melbourne, Australia.

I'm a proud Muslim, alhamdulillah. But open minded and wish to learn more about the beliefs of others.

So the main reason I joined here is because I have a few questions about Sikhism...Mainly surrounding the Turban and the last names. I also wish to get to know Sikhs but am too shy to say Hi when I see them on the street! :umm:

Do note, I'm not here to convert or be converted. I'm here to learn. :)

~BeirutBoy.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all.

So, I'm new. I come from Melbourne, Australia.

I'm a proud Muslim, alhamdulillah. But open minded and wish to learn more about the beliefs of others.

So the main reason I joined here is because I have a few questions about Sikhism...Mainly surrounding the Turban and the last names. I also wish to get to know Sikhs but am too shy to say Hi when I see them on the street! :umm:

Do note, I'm not here to convert or be converted. I'm here to learn. :)

~BeirutBoy.

Satsriakal_/\_ and welcome ... Nice to know that you are open minded

Surname of Sikh male is to be always ´SINGH´ meaning LION

Surname of Sikh female is to be always ´KAUR´ meaning PRINCESS as far as I know rest here we got lot more educated people who can tell you better

And word SIKH means ´seeker of truth´ or ´student´

:) enjoy ur stay

Thank you. What is "Satsriakal"? :)

Also my question was more on the significance of these two names. I love the meanings and I'm gathering that the significance of the female last name is to suggest their husbands should treat them as such? :)

There's one thing I hate, and that is the atheist (Don't drill me any Atheists here - I'm not generalising, I just see it regularly. I'm not saying all Atheists think this way) claim that there is no gender equality in religion, when there clearly is. Islam is scutanised for the hijab [veil] blindly for example. So it is great to see an apparent reference to respect for women in Sikhism.

Does the man being the lion refer to him being a protector of sorts?

Also, is it true males carry daggers? Is this for self defense or as a monument?

I saw a pic of the dagger while looking for a forum. It was curved. Thought it looked cool.

Sorry if I'm coming off as ignorant, I am here to learn and broaden my horizons so it could be expected in ways.

Any Aussie Sikhs here?

~BeirutBoy.

lol

I think all your simple question I can answer in normal language but I am aware that there are deep spritual meaning beahind all these terms which will be eventually explained by others depending upon your interest

anyway I am a Sikh Indian

SATSRIAKAL means ´God is Truth´ and this way normally Sikh greet each other & people around them.

All Amrithari Sikhs(Baptised) both males and females carry Kirpans(what you are calling as daggers). These Kirpans are of all the shapes & sizes, it depends where they are to be used.

Sikh philosophy considers Sikh women equal to Sikh men. Neither of these genders are superior or weaker.

Kirpan is used for both self protection & defending weak, helpless people.

SATSRIAKAL means ´God is Truth´ and this way normally Sikh greet each other & people around them.

So it's like Muslims greating each other with "Salamu alaikum" (which we don't say to non-Muslims, but acknowledge when they say it to us). Is it permissable for you to say "Satriakal" to non-Sikhs? What is the answer to "Satriakal"? :)

Could I say "Satriakal" to a Sikh I see in the city? :)

All Amrithari Sikhs(Baptised) both males and females carry Kirpans(what you are calling as daggers). These Kirpans are of all the shapes & sizes, it depends where they are to be used.

Is it all based on personal preference what size Kirpan someone carries? Or is there more to it? (Age, for instance?)

Sikh philosophy considers Sikh women equal to Sikh men. Neither of these genders are superior or weaker.

Logical thoughts.

Islam agrees. :)

Kirpan is used for both self protection & defending weak, helpless people.

Would it be offensive upon meeting a Sikh to ask to see it? :)

Is Sikhism an Abrahamic religion?

Do you have Prophets?

What do you believe to be the fate of those who lived before Nanak?

Do you believe in the hereafter?

Do you believe there were Prophets?

What is your holy scripture? Are there English translations I could read?

Do you attend prayer congregationally or pray alone?

When do you pray? How do you pray? (Or acknowlegde God)

What is your story of creation?

~BeirutBoy.

Is Sikhism an Abrahamic religion?

nope

What is your holy scripture? Are there English translations I could read?

theres lots u can read : ) will post later

Do you attend prayer congregationally or pray alone?

both, best is sitting in sat sangat...the true congregation who sings vahegurus praises :WW:

hau gur pUCau Awpxy gur puiC kwr kmwau ]

ho gur pooshho aapanae gur pushh kaar kamaao ||

I ask my Guru for His Advice, and I follow the Guru's Advice.

sbid slwhI min vsY haumY duKu jil jwau ]

sabadh salaahee man vasai houmai dhukh jal jaao ||

With the Shabads of Praise abiding in the mind, the pain of egotism is burnt away.

shjy hoie imlwvVw swcy swic imlwau ]5]

sehajae hoe milaavarraa saachae saach milaao ||5||

We are intuitively united with Him, and we meet the Truest of the True. ||5||

sbid rqy sy inrmly qij kwm k®oDu AhMkwru ]

sabadh rathae sae niramalae thaj kaam krodhh aha(n)kaar ||

Those who are attuned to the Shabad are spotless and pure; they renounce sexual desire, anger, selfishness and conceit.

nwmu slwhin sd sdw hir rwKih aur Dwir ]

naam salaahan sadh sadhaa har raakhehi our dhhaar ||

They sing the Praises of the Naam, forever and ever; they keep the Lord enshrined within their hearts.

so ikau mnhu ivswrIAY sB jIAw kw AwDwru ]6]

so kio manahu visaareeai sabh jeeaa kaa aadhhaar ||6||

How could we ever forget Him from our minds? He is the Support of all beings. ||6||

sbid mrY so mir rhY iPir mrY n dUjI vwr ]

sabadh marai so mar rehai fir marai n dhoojee vaar ||

One who dies in the Shabad is beyond death, and shall never die again.

sbdY hI qy pweIAY hir nwmy lgY ipAwru ]

sabadhai hee thae paaeeai har naamae lagai piaar ||

Through the Shabad, we find Him, and embrace love for the Name of the Lord.

ibnu sbdY jgu BUlw iPrY mir jnmY vwro vwr ]7]

bin sabadhai jag bhoolaa firai mar janamai vaaro vaar ||7||

Without the Shabad, the world is deceived; it dies and is reborn, over and over again. ||7||

sB swlwhY Awp kau vfhu vfyrI hoie ]

sabh saalaahai aap ko vaddahu vaddaeree hoe ||

All praise themselves, and call themselves the greatest of the great.

gur ibnu Awpu n cInIAY khy suxy ikAw hoie ]

gur bin aap n cheeneeai kehae sunae kiaa hoe ||

Without the Guru, one's self cannot be known. By merely speaking and listening, what is accomplished?

nwnk sbid pCwxIAY haumY krY n koie ]8]8]

naanak sabadh pashhaaneeai houmai karai n koe ||8||8||

O Nanak, one who realizes the Shabad does not act in egotism. ||8||8||

lol its NOT sat sri akaal

its:

VAHEGUROO JI KA KHALSA VAHEGUROO KI KI FATEH

and welcome : )

gupt-kaur .. Isn´t Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !! to be used amongst Amritdhari Sikhs only & is a compusion for them. I thought Sat Sri Akaal is to used with everyone non-sikhs, non-amritdharis and optionally they use Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !! & mostly they say Sat sri akal whenever a punjabi comes across.

sorry but ur way of it is like saying 'why the need to do paat if ur not amrit dhari :S

lool...

and ok, im sorry,but best to say fateh isnt it.....

<_< If we do parth then only we get motivation to shak amrit. He suggests your atma & my atma here to read limited parth in the begining and focus more on meaning INNIT (they say this in UK)

lol