New Member.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most often, you would tie your hair up in a bun/ topknot and then tie your turban.

As to why they keep their hair.... When a Sikh is baptised, they are gifted with what are commonly known as the 5ks which one must keep with them at all times. Exactly the same apply to both men and women.

Kesh - uncut hair, as given by God, to sustain him or her in higher consciousness; and a turban, the crown of spirituality.

Kangha - a wooden comb to properly groom the hair as a symbol of cleanliness. Just as the kangha removes broken hairs and cleans the hair physically, it is also spiritually questioning the individual as to how many good and bad deeds have been committed during the day. Just as clean hair is attached to your head so are your good deeds. Similarly, as broken hairs are removed by your kangha, your vices should be removed in the same way. The hairs removed by the kangha are not to be thrown in a dirty place or on the floor. They are to be kept in a clean and dry place/container and when enough hair has gathered they are to be burnt.

Katchera - specially made loose underwear as a reminder of the commitment to purity and is a sign of sexual restraint.

Kara - a pure iron bracelet, worn on the wrist, signifying bondage to Truth and freedom from every other entanglement. The Kara is like a handcuff placed by the Guru upon the individual to remind us of our duty to God, stopping us from committing sins. According to scientific research, the Kara adds to the iron levels in the body by rubbing on the skin.

The Kara teaches us that these arms belong to Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji - with which we are not to steal, con, commit forgery, oppress, bully, persecute, sin or murder. With these hands we should earn an honest living and share its benefits. In addition, your hands should serve your community and the Khalsa nation. The Kara is a precious gift bestowed upon us for life by Guru Sahib, which cannot be separated from the body. The Kara is circular, having no beginning and no end. Similarly, Vaheguru has no beginning or end and the Kara reminds us of this.

Kirpan - the sword, with which the Khalsa is committed to righteously defend the fine line of the Truth. The Kirpan is there to protect the poor and for self-defence. With patience and mercy, the Kirpan is to be used as a sword in order to destroy oppression. The Kirpan is to always be in a gatra and never to be removed from the body. The Kirpan protects us from hidden and seen enemies.

Satsriakal again BeirutBoy

I feel I confused you yesterday about Sikh greetings. I wanted to keep it simple as you were new to our way of lifestyle so initailly I told only about Satsriakal

Satsriakal is a shorter way of greeting & Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru ji Ki Fateh is more precise & elaborate way of greeting and is preferably used amongst who are aware of Sikhism.

Satsriakal is short & quick way of greeting. Anyway other people have given the details of both of these greetings & it you choice which one you like when you meet a Sikh (male or female)

But Muslims believe Muhammad of 124,000 Prophets and 300+ Messengers.

'Last' depending on which sect of islam you are talking about and why the difference mentioned 25 (quran) the haddith (124,000) in the no of prophets?

Please note that there is a vast difference between Sikh Gurus and Mohammad.

Please also note that the definition of the word 'prophet' in Islamic thinking is also different to that of a Sikh.

I am not going to post links here as I dont want to divert the thread too much.

Guest peacemaker
I'm guessing people like this are an exception? :)

Well, my hair isn't nearly that long because I used to cut it. I'd say, for a Sikh, it is pretty short (mid back). :blush21: Even if I didn't cut my hair, it probably wouldn't be that long, anyway, because I'm not a hairy person. ;)

Hey all;

Just a quick post to say thank you for sharing knowledge with me. I am very appreciative.

beriutboy

r u seriuosly want to know about sikhi. so plz wellcome

but may be i am wrong i think u come here just to make joke with sikhi.

if i am right so plz go from here.

I am seriously here to learn.

Please take what I say on facevalue and not question my intentions. :)

I'm off to bed guys.

Good night.

Guest peacemaker
beriutboy

r u seriuosly want to know about sikhi. so plz wellcome

but may be i am wrong i think u come here just to make joke with sikhi.

if i am right so plz go from here.

Give him a chance, SonyNeech. I think his intentions are good.