Sardar Bhagwant Singh Dalawari

I started reading this book by Sardar Bhagwant Singh Ji. Many here might know about em and many might not. I want to share few writings of em with the sangat here. Before i do that lets learn a few things about this mahan gursikh.

Amravati's TAPOVAN, is, the leprosy centre established by Late Dr. Shivajirao Patwardhan and his wife Mrs. Parbatibai.

Sardar Dalawari joined Tapovan in October 1979. For about 25 years he had held a responsible posts under the External Affairs Ministry of the Indian Government. His wife lives in Delhi and his two daughters are settled in the USA. Opting for voluntary retirement long before his retirement date, he began to work in Tapovan. Having decided to live and do seva in Maharashtra he learnt marathi without which it would have been immposible to communicate with the patients at Tapovan.

Sardar Dalawari does this kind of work devotedly from the core of his heart. He welcomes the new patients and strengthens their spiritual and mental resistance to the onslaughts of stigmatising disease. He enthusiastically spends time in dressing the ulcers of patients in the hospital. In addition, he sings bhajans/shabds and prays with leprosy patients.

He believes that only the person involved in the activites of service to humanity deserves to be included in the brotherhood of the Khalsa. He should also live a clean selfless life. Determined to live in TRUTH, engaged in service of the Man without expectation of any reward, ready to go in for the defence of the weak and the downtrodden against tyranny, entrenched in the love and remembrance of Waheguru, these are the characteristics of KHALSA. Guru Gobind Singh always used to believe and declare MANAS KI JAAT SABHE EKE PEHCHANBO.

Bhagwant Singh Ji sings marathi bhajans soulfully. He also sings Hindi Bhajans. He knows by heart Gurbani of Guru Arjan. He is a leprosy worker with a difference.

FROM SELF TO MY SELF

My detested self,

I am fed up with you, I am upset, I am in contempt -- serious contempt of you and i have now begun to understand the concept of contempt of self introduced by Thomas A. Kempis. For the last one week you have landed me in a horrendous soup and i am not olny ashamed that you belong to me but also thoroughly disgusted with you. Infact i have started wondering whether you will ever display the kind of behaviour that i have been teaching you. And i also note that sometimes - rarely, of course - even if i do not love you deeply but i find you very sweet and charming.

From 14th to 20th Oct, you have played dirty tricks, landed me again in the same degeneration from which God in His (Pheena Ji read 'Her' here) great mercy has taken you out and taught you NEVER to indulge in the kind of things that you have been indulging. I have been noticing that you have again started falling into the traps and dragging me in there. You know i certainly do not want to have my face blackened as before and i want to live only in God enjoying the grace and beauty of my master but you tend to live with the mighty thieves and enjoy their sweet talk. I have now discovered that you have again--

1.) Begun to love being honoured and are positively enraged at dishonour despite the lesson given to you to shun honour or dishonour and remain uninfluenced,

2.) Begun again to question or be selective in regard to my Master's commands and started showing your like or dislike and started criticising others ignoring your own mighty blunders,

3.) Begun attaching too much importance to yourself and are heading towards self-esteem and self-love ignoring the dictate thate you have to become the dust of the feet of everyone,

4.) Begun to be victim of praise and prejudice and also slander and abuse in addition to jealousy and envy while you know clearly that you will land me in much more serious trouble,

5.) Begun to question the wisdom of being the most inferior and most frail although it is now clear that you not only disobey me even when it is in your interest but you fall victim to the lowliest things despite your boasts,

6.) Begun to condemn others ignoring your own ABSOLUTE arrogance and unwillingness to listen to me,

7.) Begun to question others behaviour knowing full well that even you yourself are not always capable of doing what you think best for you,

8.) Begun to savour again the acclaim and wah-wah despite the knowledge that it landed you in a miserable state for months.

9.) Begun to attribute motives to others forgetting that you are involved in dragging me to the lowliest actions,

10.) Begun to discuss what others should do and how they should do forgetting the lessons of humility that I repeatedly give you,

11.) Begun to stand on dignity even when you are parading the sign of humility,

12.) Begun to refuse to forgive others, even when you do not say anything, and to keep the rancour within,

13.) Begun to refuse to withdraw in argumentation for the sake of humility even though you think you are right,

14.) Begun to take to heart insults or injury, even if it is bound to help you, and

15.) Begun also to blame others when evrything is in His hukam and you said that you will accept His will in all circumstances.

My list is not exhaustive but only a sample. But I am so much disillusioned with you that I cannot help feeling miserable that you belong to me. Formerly, although I understood that I was degenerating and was really in contempt of myself, but I did not understand clearly how one could really hate oneself. Now it has become very clear, when I have been given place in the lap of the Lord for peace and happiness, always, it is you who disturb this peace and I am blamed because you live with me. In a way the self-contempt means that I in the SELF am brought to shame only because of myself. I, therefore, now detest you even more and recognise you as most inferior and most frail whatever you may think about yourself. THEREFORE, I AM IN NEED OF DISCONNECTING MYSELF from you. In rare cases when you do not see me hating you, you are aligned with the SELF. For example even you fprget your tantarums and are absorbed in SATYA(Truth), SANTOKH(Contentment), DAYA(Compassion), DHARAM(Justice) and love to listen to me in toto, you are in the lap of the Lord and there is no difference between you and me. When I love you then, I do no tlove myself, but I love the Lord. It is only when you are derailed and cause me considerable embarrassment, shame and agony, that you provoke me to hate you.

AND I AM PRAYING THAT LORD WILL ALWAYS GIVE ME THE COURAGE, GUIDANCE, WISDOM, AND CONSCIOUSNESS TO HATE YOU THE MOMENT YOU DRAG ME TO DEGENERATION, for I am the part of that SELF who is my Master and when that part is absorbed with the Master, there is total peace and harmony.

My love and my esteem is only for that SELF and never for you, myself, whish is sullied with the friendship of five thieves. Just as an engine gone out of order is a BLOT on the beautiful car, you are a blot on my beautiful body. Its beauty is maintained only if you ALWAYS ALIGN with the SELF, the Master of the Universe, for your Peace and the Peace of All who associate with you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Would you mind telling me how to get this book?

Pingalwara, Amritsar is your best bet. Where are you from?

send it down the wire then my veer :)

Sorry for the late reply kiddo :happy: . Tera address ki aa? pm me the address and i'll mail it to you asap. i am sure Papi is not going to read it :p