Big Fat Sikh Wedding Banned

sahib_bindra

The big fat Sikh wedding is banned

Jeremy Page in Delhi

The big fat Indian wedding has been told to slim down. Leaders of Delhi's Sikh community have called for an end to lavish wedding celebrations featuring meat and alcohol on the grounds that they encourage the dowry system and female foeticide.

The Delhi Gurdwara Management Committee, the city's top Sikh body, has told the capital's one million Sikhs to boycott weddings that are not teetotal, vegetarian and over by noon. Similar measures are being considered in other Indian cities.

Sikhs are supposed to avoid unnecessary expenditure, but their weddings have become increasingly ostentatious in recent years. Many last several days, beginning with the groom's procession to the bride's home and culminating in a banquet featuring tandoori chicken, beer and whisky and dancing into the night.

One of the most extravagant on record was that of Vikram Chatwal, a New York-based hotelier, and Priya Sachdev, an Indian model. Their ceremony last year involved twenty-five parties, held over ten nights in three cities. The committee has ordered Delhi's 350 gurdwaras (Sikh temples) not to issue wedding certificates to families who ignore its guidelines. Those who hold wedding processions in the evening will not be allowed to marry in a gurdwara.

"Our fight is against the exploitation by those who pose demands on the girl's family to organise elaborate weddings," Paramjit Singh Sarna, the committee president, said. "It is this splurge of wealth on ceremonies which is promoting dowry and practices like female foeticide."

Although it is technically illegal to demand a dowry, most Indians ignore the ban. The bride's family is expected to pay for a sumptuous wedding and give the groom's family cash and other gifts. As a result, daughters are traditionally seen as a financial burden and many Indians kill newborn girls or abort female foetuses.

The Indian Medical Association says that five million female foetuses are terminated every year. The issue was highlighted last week when the wife of an Indian millionaire accused him of forcing her to abort two girls.

Sardar Ram Singh, another Sikh leader in Delhi, said that the committee's new guidelines would soon be taken up elsewhere. "I am confident that over 95 per cent Sikhs will positively respond to our appeal," he said.

Similar calls have fallen on deaf ears on the past. "There might be a show of restraint, but at the end of the day, Sikhs like to party," one 31-year-old Sikh man who is about to get married said. "I don't think we'll be changing our plans."

post-17830-1213695807.jpg

wedding shd only be limited to 11 baratis from boy side and almost same from girls and should be simple and in a Gurdwara sahib with proper time given to Lawaan and Kirtan afterwards. not fastforward like we have in punjab these days. and except Anand Karaj there shd not be any function same day, may be later. Anand karaj ceremony need proper time and respect. Its very big change in ones life.

Singh Bhindra as your Sarna's propaganda guy lol let me ask you I AGREE WITH DARSHAN SINGH If a Sikh is not Khalistani he is not Sikh 100% agree.

BUT your Sarana(Pillow) guy lol is Anti Khalistan so you seem to be a hypocrite

I agree all wedding caste discrimination should be stopped,along with killing girls ,dowry and inequality rituals along with 'selling girls' off.BUT

SGPC,Delhis (SARANA) Pillow crew have no right to impose restrictions on the size of the weddings or how lavish it is ,we are not the Taliban we are Sikhs,one of the reasons the movement failed was due to CERTAIN Jathebandia raiding weddings and stopping them demanding money,complaining about horses being used and rubbish like that people can deny this but it;s true.

Anyone can have whatever type wedding they WANT, as long as all the gender ,caste discrimination is out of the way we have no right to tell people we can ban big weddings the only thing we can interfere in is the caste issue,gender issue - selling girls off thats all

Singh Bhindra as your Sarna's propaganda guy lol let me ask you I AGREE WITH DARSHAN SINGH If a Sikh is not Khalistani he is not Sikh 100% agree.

BUT your Sarana(Pillow) guy lol is Anti Khalistan so you seem to be a hypocrite

I agree all wedding caste discrimination should be stopped,along with killing girls ,dowry and inequality rituals along with 'selling girls' off.BUT

SGPC,Delhis (SARANA) Pillow crew have no right to impose restrictions on the size of the weddings or how lavish it is ,we are not the Taliban we are Sikhs,one of the reasons the movement failed was due to CERTAIN Jathebandia raiding weddings and stopping them demanding money,complaining about horses being used and rubbish like that people can deny this but it;s true.

Anyone can have whatever type wedding they WANT, as long as all the gender ,caste discrimination is out of the way we have no right to tell people we can ban big weddings the only thing we can interfere in is the caste issue,gender issue - selling girls off thats all

totally agree with tht.....radicalism is not the solution for any problem and am sure thas what we as sikhs have been taught at the first hand by gurbani......

well let me tell u something the only bann is that the wedding cermony should be in noon....they shuld be no alcohol ..meat in the wedding cermony......and on the same day no other function should be held.........there is no ban on any function before or after the marriage...

""The Delhi Gurdwara Management Committee, the city's top Sikh body, has told the capital's one million Sikhs to boycott weddings that are not teetotal, vegetarian and over by noon. Similar measures are being considered in other Indian cities.""

ONLY IF U CAN READ 'Sar-punch'

AND LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING NO AKALI IS ANTI KHALISTHAN AND EACH ONE IN THE BACK OF OUR MINDS KNOWS THAT ACHIEVING A SEPERATE SIKH NATION IS NOT ONLY NEXT TO POSSIBLE BUT A TRY TO GET ONE WILL ONLY DAMAGE OUR PANTH MORE...AS THOUSAND WILL BE KILLED ...RATHER THAN ASKING FOR ANOTHER COUNTRY WHY DONT WE PRESERVE OUR GURUS KI DHARTI PUNJAB WHICH IS GOING DOWN DAY BY DAY....IT IS JUST THAT IN GETTING WHAT WE DONT HAVE ...WE DONT WANT TO LOOSE WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE...