The way a crow

Shook down on me

The dust of snow

From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart

A change of mood

And save some part

Of a day I had rued

Like in this 1923 work titled “Dust of Snow” by Robert Frost, poets throughout history have continued to pay homage to the notion that emotions and the heart are inextricably intertwined.

Indeed, research suggests that there’s a very strong connection between emotional health and heart health. Negative emotions — anger, guilt and hostility — can put you at high risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and even sudden death.

Here’s why: Negative emotions cause elevated levels of C-reactive protein, which is associated with inflammation. Inflamed blood vessels set the stage for hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis), says cardiologist Stephen Sinatra, M.D., founder of the New England Heart and Longevity Center in Manchester, Conn. Inflamed patches become “sticky” and start collecting plaque.

Even if you think you’re doing all the right things — including eating a healthful diet and exercising regularly — you could still be exposing yourself to a significant risk factor for heart disease if you neglect your mental health.

“There’s a plethora of research on emotion and its connection to heart disease. This connection has been validated over the last 30 years,” says Sinatra, who encourages his patients to tap into — and manage — their negative emotions as part of their heart health program.

“A good cardiologist who really understands what causes heart disease will always embrace the emotional aspects of a person’s being,” he adds.

Dealing with emotional distress is as important as reducing your cholesterol and keeping your blood pressure in check. What’s the best way to get a handle on your negative emotions? Sinatra suggests you try these 7 tips:

1. Connect with a pet. Pets don’t harbor anger or hostility. “We can all learn from pets,” Sinatra says. “If they sit still, so should you. If they stretch, you should, too. Take in their unconditional love. It will help to diffuse anger, rage and hostility, all of which can hurt your heart. You can’t feel overwhelming love for something and also be resentful at the same time. That’s why connection with pets is very vital.”

2. Release your emotions. If you feel sadness, humiliation or shame, it’s time to cry. In fact, it’s one of the best things you can do for your heart, he says. One study shows that men and women who don’t cry are more prone to heart disease than men and women who do cry. If you feel anger, release it by screaming in your car (make sure the windows are rolled up) or by hitting a punching bag or tennis balls with a racquet, making sounds as you do. “If you want to put the face of the person who angered you on the ball, that’s fine, too.”

3. Laugh. Laughter is also great for your heart. It releases endorphins, which are natural opiates of the body and are very calming. If you laugh hard enough, you might even cry, which is a double bonus, Sinatra says. “People usually feel better after a good laugh or cry. That’s because both are very good for your heart.”

4. Take a walk. Walking is one of the best forms of exercise to “take you out of your head,” he says. When you walk, you might notice a bird or some subtlety of the natural environment that could change your mood for the better. Jogging or running can work as well, but if you’re not accustomed to high-intensity exercise, Sinatra urges caution: Vigorous physical activity can cause blood pressure to rise temporarily. “And if your emotions are powerful enough, you can cause your blood pressure to soar dangerously high, which can lead to a cardiac event,” including a heart attack. If you have hypertension or other heart-disease risk factors, talk to your doctor about the safety of high-intensity exercise.

5. Engage in a relaxing activity. Consider listening to classical music or engaging in meditation, tai chi or yoga. These activities “will assuage [pacify] the sympathetic nervous system” and thereby keep your blood pressure in check, Sinatra says. “Any of these activities are fine, but remember, no one thing works for everyone. You have to try different things until you find one that works for you.”

6. Reach out to others. When you’re sad, angry or depressed, reach out to friends, family, co-workers, a therapist or clergy. Share your feelings, and tell the person how they can help you. Social support is particularly critical for overcoming feelings of depression and isolation during recovery from a heart attack, he says.

7. Reconnect with an old joy. When you’re feeling angry or upset, remember a day when you felt joyful in your life — your first kiss, the birth of your first child, an A on your report card. If you recall such a moment during times of emotional duress, your stress is much more likely to disappear, Sinatra says. He adds: “One of the most joyful days I ever had was when I was 16 and my mother hugged me. On days I’m upset, I think about that heartfelt hug, and I feel the anger and stress dissolve. The heart has a memory of joyful experience that will overwhelm any negative feelings you have.”

Reviewed by: Frank Smart, M.D.

Date reviewed: Feburary 2007

©2007 Revolution Health Group, LLC. All rights reserved

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/conditions...rs/happy-hearts