Southall Immigrant Workers

sher_panjabi

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BBC is a liberal, anti-American, pro-Muslim propaganda organisation. They've tried to deflect the pressure on Muslims because of Islamic terrorism by looking at blackening the name of other ethnic minorities. There was that recent idiotic radio documentary about Sikhs working with Al Qaeda. The reporter kept referring to Faujis as a CRIMINAL community, even though all he could find was some Hindu with the surname Kumar who was selling passports! Talk about maligning an entire community.

Faujis are a good thing. I remember in the 90s if you wanted to get an extension done on your house you were at the mercy of the tarkhan mistris, they would take on loads of jobs and then only use their workers at one site for a few days and then move them on to the next site and so on. Your extension would take ages but you were under the mistri's mercy because they all know each other and exploited the situation and you couldn't get rid of one mistri and get another. With faujis it totally different, their rates are cheap compared to established mistris and they are readily available. I recently got my extension done to my house plus the usual southall style 'garage' in the garden ie studio flat (totally against planning rules of course :) It cost be half it would have cost if I went to an established mistri. The faujis were paid £70 per day (main builder who knew the building regulations and had experience), the labourer (£45 per day), although I could have got them cheaper but I didn't want to exploit them. They got to make regular money over 3 months, they were able to send a lot of it back to Punjab so in a way my extension was helping the Punjab economy!

I love the way mistri's have formed some sort of secret society to exploit everyone in your mind. It was the funniest thing I've read in ages.

Truth is, Panjabis (ALL OF THEM!) don't really like to pay skilled workers good money out of their pockets. You think paying a paying a tajoorba wallah karigaar mistri £70/£80 a day flies in this day and age!

It's not like farming, where you can teach the skills to any old bhaiya in a few days mate.

Muckee chuse bundhay!