What Is Happening To Sikh Youths?

Ashana

Excuse me, but not being a Sikh or Indian, I would like to express my frustration, concerns and views here. I would be much interested in your opinions.

You see, I have just ended a friendship with a Punjabi Jatt living in India whom I did care for greatly. He was doing drugs and drinking copious amounts of alcohol daily and throughout our friendship I have tried to get him off this kind of addiction and to make him understand what he was doing.

Initially, he had my trust and listened to my thoughts and made some changes with himself, however soon he was back influenced by his friends, who were all into the gangster culture, drinking and drugs also. Now he is back on the stuff and I feel that I could not help him no more and I gave him all that I could. Besides that, previously he was also doing stealing, selling drugs and cheating on me by sleeping with girls and also telling me a huge amount of lies.

His parents seems to not bat an eyelid to what is happening and the father often appears to gets drunk himself. I assume there is some domestic violence also. Money is given this friend of mine by his parents haphazardly and of course, he would spend it on drink and smoke. This guy is a young fellow too. Where are parents responsibility and supervision?

When I do research on the net about Punjab and Punjabis, all I see is how its people and place has become a drug ridden state with so many youths falling into being drug addicts and alcoholics with no future. Even in Chandigarh, they are supposedly wanting to make it a 'smoke-free' (tobacco-free) city but why is nothing done to curb the amount of alcohol and drug problems? The key stereotypes out there for Punjabis is that they are big drinkers, druggies, theives, cheaters, gangsters and wife beaters and Sikh temples are where you get free alcohol and where gangster wannabes meet.

You guys are meant to be historically warriors and strong, educated, moral people. Are you all happy with this kind of image today? Why are authorities and head of Sikhs not doing more to solve problems? Note that I am not targeting the Sikh religion itself as I have since read alot about the religion and have great respect for it, however, I am just wondering why superiors are letting so many awful problems escalate as much as it has and doing little about it.

It just makes me so sad and angry that my friend, who could have made a good life for himself by choosing a better path and had so much potential, is so surrounded by such a disgraceful environment that he had little chance to change. Sadly I can only imagine what might become of his life.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately thats happening in most of the houses. Sikh leaders arent doing anything coz they are the most corrupted bunch of people that could probably ever be in power. The more punjabis get hooked on drugs the more there bank balance increases. Individuals that could save the youth arent in power and the ones in power dont care about anything but money. We had sant ji who got so many people on the right path after that i dont think we had any person in power that wanted to do something for the panth.

and its not just the fault of the leaders, parents are to be blamed as much as the leaders. Punjabis no matter what age are running after maya and nothing else, sad truth.

There are such types in every religion and culture. You don't know the real punjabi and the contributions they make or have made. Punjabis are far better than other people. Look around more and you will find too many degenerated people of various colors and not just punjabis. Period.

There are such types in every religion and culture. You don't know the real punjabi and the contributions they make or have made. Punjabis are far better than other people. Look around more and you will find too many degenerated people of various colors and not just punjabis. Period.

Veer correct me if im wrong altough you are correct but that kind of thinking kind of ignores the problems that sikh youth faces.

Punjabis are far better than other people.

That's quite a haughty statement dude. I've met some solid Panjabis but also some seriously scummy ones.

Thanks for the responses so far as I want to understand more about this issue with great interest.

However, I am surprised also with the lack of responses - ie: so many have viewed this post but so little feedback. Is this an indication itself that Sikh youth are avoiding this problem??

I understand that the problem I have raised happens across all cultures and religion. I am no expert on Sikh history but am aware that Sikhs and Punjabis have made great contributions to society in the past and even now, there are some inspirational and influential Sikhs.

I guess I have raised my concerns on this forum as I am stemming from personal experience particularly also. I did not know any Punjabi people nor Sikhs prior to this friend but it is the extent and alarming degree of problems that this friend of mine had that was just so shocking to me. I can easily say, I have never in my life encountered someone with some many issues in their life! From this I came to do more research on Punjab and its people.

However, look around with newspapers and the Net. It is mostly filled with rather negative predicaments of Punjabi life. Punjab newspapers are so often filled with stories about drug addicts, suicides, depression, murders, crime, snatchings, drug smuggling, corruption. Besides that, there is also HIV, AIDs, unemployment to name a few. Stats say that 80% of Chandigarh youth use some form of drugs. Marijuana is apparently sold in chemists and roadside stores. Besides that, if not weed, then there is opium, heroin, cocaine, harsh...almost most kinds of drugs I can think of.....so...what were my chance of turning my friend around?

Alcohol is being taken like water. Read about Sikh weddings and what most mention is the amount of alcohol given to guests and whisky being the favourite. I hear that 25 is meant to be age limit to gain access to alcohol. Reality is that age is not even checked and first drink is often in early teens. Parents gets drunk and drink like there is no tomorrow so children sees that it's perfectly ok to do the same.

To say the least, it was nothing but an utter shame to see someone's life in front of me turning for the worse. I just felt so helpless and useless and yes, I do very much blame both the environment and lack of parental guidance that my friend was exposed to.

If Sikh elders, leaders and parents cannot set an example, really, what hope do you guys have for future generations??

Ashana, it's not a Sikh problem, more of a Punjabi one. Non-Punjabi Sikh communities rarely have these issues. In fact, by definition, people partaking of the activities you mention aren't really Sikh.

The reason why the state government in Punjab doesn't do anything is because it's easier to bribe an alcoholic with the promise of a drink in exchange for a vote. Another reason is the realtive prosperity of Punjabi farmers. Young men don't need to physically work any longer so they spend their time and money partying. It also lies on the route taken by drug smugglers from Afghanistan & Pakistan into India.

Where Sikh teachings are being delivered to the public, the incidents of drug abuse are much lower. You only have to visit the areas around places like Rarasahib, Damdami Taksal at Mehta, the Nihung Dals etc and note the difference between them and other areas.

UK newspapers are full of the same - good news doesn't sell.

Most of the people on this forum are probably non-drinkers and vegetarian so that may be why you haven't got much of a response.

I would be interested in studying the statistics you mention. Please name the source you obtained them from. Also, what gave you the idea that alcohol is distributed in Gurudwaras?

Thanks.

in my opinion i think where ever you go and what ever faith one belongs to everyone is having issues with there youth and having visited Punjab many times myself i do agree the problem should be addressed in some way but i agree with matheens response too.

also at the end of the day you can tell a youth that doing this is bad and it should be stopped but will they really listen? the only time when someone starts listening is when they actaully experience the negative effects of there actions bcs if someone else says its bad for you..u kind of just shrug it off and think ur parents are out to get u or something lol and i think many people have been through that..thats how i developed understanding personally...and yeh i suppose its not an issue left for realisation because by the time one realises the effects of there actions much damage has been done.but yeh i agree there is a problem.

politicians have a very deep degree of involvement in the drug crisis. police in a news story i read a year or two ago were complaining that when they pick up a trafficker he just phones a politician and they are ordered to let him go. they then just transport the person over the punjab border and next day the drug dealer comes back into punjab from haryana to resume dealing.

i have also read that a very large percentage of the police force themselves are addicted to drugs.