Hindi=hindostani?

Bijla Singh

I have noticed that nowadays, Bollywood has started to refer to Hindi as Hindostani. I went to an Indian store to buy some groceries and in there a movie was on in which Salman Khan asks a little girl if she spoke “Hindostani”. Someone urged me to watch movie Apne in which Dharmendar (while talking to a black boxer) refers to Hindi as “Hindostani”. Some years ago I went to a friend’s house and movie Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam was playing on tv. It was the first time that I noticed Salman asking Ajay Devgan if he knew “Hindostani”. I don’t know how many movies are posing off Hindi as “Hindostani” but this is a direct attack on all other Indian languages and unique identity of Sikhs.

Although, Hindi is the official language but it is not the language of Indians. Only 41% of Indians speak Hindi as their first language and many either do not know how to speak it or despise it. Punjabis speak Punjabi, Gujratis speak Gujrati, Tamils speak Tamilnadu so no and so forth. Bollywood is trying to assert that those who consider themselves true Hindostanis (patriots of India) must regard Hindi as their native language because only Hindi is the language of a Hindostani. This shows how Bollywood is serving the purpose of RSS and likes to fulfill the mission of “Hindu, Hindi, Hindustan”. This is clearly advocating that true patriots of India speak Hindostani (Hindi) and others are traitors. This is an indirect appeal to Sikhs to become true Indians by speaking Hindostani (Hindi). Gandhi once asked Sikhs to adopt Devnagri in place of Gurmukhi and merge themselves in the stream of Hinduism. Bollywood is not only trying to fulfill Gandhi’s wishes but also trying to force majority of Indians (lowers caste hindus, muslims etc) to give up their languages which is the first step in destroying any community because it kills their literature, unique culture and heritage.

Sikhs are killed for using the term “Khalistan” because it is “unconstitutional” but no action is taken against Bollywood, actors, RSS/BJP etc for using the term “Hindostan” which is also unconstitutional. Official name of the country is either India or Bharat. Government is silence on these illegal activities because they are being carried on by the majority Hindu. Sikhs should boycott Bollywood as much as they can and first step should be to stop subscription to Indian channels and renting new movies.

there are so many subtle actions in Hindi movies which should be checked.

like any other nation, india is trying to bring uniformity in its population. I was watching the history channel and they were talking about the first emporor of China who conquered so many people in what is now the people's republic of china, and made the current chinese writing system the standard. they said, he is the man who helped china become a unified nation.

this is India's wish, which is not different than any nation's development plans, but the problem is that India was not united by hindustanis, but was lumped together by the British. Unlike China, who had a home grown emperor bring about a unified region, india's unification was put on a platter for nehru and gandh,i and today we see the effects.

unless India adopts a true federal system giving states more autonomy, as laid out in the Anandpur sahib Resolution, india is creating a USSR type scenario for itself.

peace.

In India, if u could only speak hindi and not english, u will be called "unparr" or uneducated. Everyone is running after english, western culture, haircuts, dress, food, eating habits.

I dont think this hindi=hindustani bollywood crap is going to have any effect.

The real language of people is money and these days knowing english and having convent education provides one with job, money, fame, social status.

From time to time, bollywood also makes some crap "patriotic" movies where they will show one indian soldier killing hundreds of pakistani soldiers or militants. But do these movies make Indians patriotic ?? NOO. its just a time pass. People watch the movie, feel a bit emotional and patriotic for a few seconds and then return home and get on with their daily life.

If ISI throws an offer of decent money, women and US,canada citizenship, lakhs(if not crores) of Indians will be ready to help ISI.

As someone from a bollywood movie once said...

Nowadays if someone has the guts to say 'main desh ke liye marsakta' people call them a loon...because in India what are u dying for? Corruption, poverty, drugs, alcoholism or the western culture which is slowly taking over??

The only 'patriots' left are either brainwashed, militants, nationalists or loons....or all of them put together..

Dear brother, as a regular Bollywood movie buff, i can say without doubt that HINDI and HINDUSTANI is different.

Hindustani is Hindi with a mix of words from Turkish (Sabzi, Kanoon, Watan, etc), Urdu, Persian, Arabic, some Punjabi etc.

The real Hindi can't be understood by the normal people who watch Bollywood movies.

Hindi is the REAL language. It is quite different from Hindustani as it mostly contains words from Indian languages like Sanskrit.

The concern here is not what Hindostani really is which I don't think is a language or even has its own script but Bollywood trying to present Hindi as Hindostani. Actors in movies ask each other if they know Hindostani and then start speaking in Hindi. If Hindostan means India (unconstitutional according to Indian law) then there can't be one language as each state has itw own language and states were reorganized on this basis by nehru. All languages (Punjabi, Gujrati, Marathi etc) are Indian and must be treated equally.

I have noticed that nowadays, Bollywood has started to refer to Hindi as Hindostani

Wrong. Dharmendra referred to Hindi as Hindustani way back in 1968, in action spy thriller movie ANKHEN. I can say this without, as i have seen the movie several times...

So it means Hindi is being called HINDUSTANI since AT LEAST 40 years!!!!