Is Sikhism a Religion?

Dear All

I am trying express my thouhgt which I have learnt from Gurughar and my home. I want you comment on my blog. As much I read about Shree Guru Nanak Dev and Sikhism and I founded that Sikhism is not a religion it is path (simplest, shortest to reach the superpower). Shree Guruu Gobind Singh also expressed this thing and we all chant this everyday in our Ardaas to superpower

(Agya Bhai Akaal Ki Tabhe Chaleo Panth Sab Sikhan ko Hukam Hai Guru Manyo Granth)

Guru Sahib again pointing to panth not a religion panth means path a way.

Now we have another question which reigion we belong, We all belong to religion which Guru Nanak belongs the religion from AadiKaal, Humanity is our religion he teaches us to love each and every humanbeing if we hate any human being due to his religion means we are not following the path Shree Guru Nanak taught and we are insulting our Gurus,

Read it if I am wrong please clarify my doubts.

Gurfatehji,

Let us simplify your question. I understand that you want to belong to a religion. am i right? If so, then dear friend, just try and be a good human being.. do good to others and follow Guru Saab's teachings. Do not confuse yourself. Humanity is the biggest religion and Sikhi is the best path to go about this.

Dear All

I am trying express my thouhgt which I have learnt from Gurughar and my home. I want you comment on my blog. As much I read about Shree Guru Nanak Dev and Sikhism and I founded that Sikhism is not a religion it is path (simplest, shortest to reach the superpower). Shree Guruu Gobind Singh also expressed this thing and we all chant this everyday in our Ardaas to superpower

(Agya Bhai Akaal Ki Tabhe Chaleo Panth Sab Sikhan ko Hukam Hai Guru Manyo Granth)

Guru Sahib again pointing to panth not a religion panth means path a way.

Now we have another question which reigion we belong, We all belong to religion which Guru Nanak belongs the religion from AadiKaal, Humanity is our religion he teaches us to love each and every humanbeing if we hate any human being due to his religion means we are not following the path Shree Guru Nanak taught and we are insulting our Gurus,

Read it if I am wrong please clarify my doubts.

Yes I fully agree with you my dear

Sikhism is not a religion we made it a religion.......its a path shown by our gurus to live honest, simple, loyal, fearless and true life.

In other words its a path shown by gurus to live a good nd simple life........but few of our more intelligent Sikhs made it a religion and started comparing it with other religions.........that's what make things even worst........

guru fateh

haha people get quite afraid of the word religion nowadays...

definition of religion (and there are many)

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

From what I've read above... if you follow the teachings of Guru Ji, follow the 'path' set down for us...then you are a 'sikh'... what's the point in questioning trivial issues? humanity or sikhi - both will have the same belief system just under another name right?

yes sikhi is a path/way a panth.

We follow dharma/dharam.

Words like sikh"ism" and describing it as a religion were a protestant christian influence upon sikhs during the british raj, and is part of the divide and conquer strategy.

Also remember to recognise humans as one race, but not to try and force/convert everyone to one race, there is a BIG difference!

Dear All

I am trying that we accept Sikhi as a path to reach the superpower and do not take as a religion because we you explore the history then you will find that in our world billions of people killed sake of Religion this quantity is more than people killed in Wars or due to disease.

We need to follow the path of Guru Nanak ( the path of love) there is no place of hate.

Guru Gobind Singh is also follow this path if u explore the history of sikh panth you will find Guru Gobind forgive the most cruel Kingdom of India Aurengjeb when he accepted that he had done a huge mistake because Guru Gobind Singh is the Tenth Guru Nanak and he follow which our First Guru Nanak said.

Thanks