What Makes A Sikh?

rav44

Hi Guys! I'm making a documentary about Sikhism and I am doing some research into Sikhi and how people view the religion and also I want to put out the questions:

Who is a Sikh?

What is more important in Sikhism - the 5 k's or the spirituality e.g. if someone has all 5 k's and is a bad person but there is someone who doesn't have the 5 k's but follows all the spiritual side of Sikhi and is a good person which one is right?

Cheers!!

Rav

Who are you making the documentary for?

Literally, a Sikh of Guru Ji is someone who has been initiated as such through the Amrit Sanchar ceremony. This sets out the code of conduct which consists both of physical requirements and spiritual - as long as these are followed, one is a Sikh.

Hence, they go hand in hand and cannot be separated. Just wearing the 5Ks doesn't make one a Sikh. Someone doing 'bad things', as you put it has broken his code of conduct and can't be considered a Sikh until he asks for forgiveness from the 5 Pyare.

Someone who does good things but hasn't yet been initiated into Sikhi also can't be considered a Sikh, strictly speaking.

So neither of them are 'right'. Sikhi is what Guru Ji gave us, not what we want it to be. Therefore your second question about 'who is better' doesn't make sense.

The above is just my humble opinion and no doubt, you will get other completely different answers!

Hi Guys! I'm making a documentary about Sikhism and I am doing some research into Sikhi and how people view the religion and also I want to put out the questions:

Who is a Sikh?

What is more important in Sikhism - the 5 k's or the spirituality e.g. if someone has all 5 k's and is a bad person but there is someone who doesn't have the 5 k's but follows all the spiritual side of Sikhi and is a good person which one is right?

Cheers!!

Rav

A Sikh serves selflessly, forever and always.

A Sikh is one who respects and believes the teachings of the 10 Gurus from Guru Nanak to Guru Gobind Singh and believes in One God as exemplified in the Mul Mantar. A Sikh only bows to the Guru as the Guru has informed us about the True Religion of God and the embodiment of the Satgurus is the Guru Granth Sahib. The Sikh is on a path and joins the Sadh Sangat seeking knowledge and yearning of God. A Sikh's aim should be to take the baptism of Amrit and become a Khalsa Gursikh and thus be a Sant-Sipahi, absorbed in Naam and set free from the bondage of Maya.

• 2 weeks later...

maharaj says "rehat piyaree mujko, sikh piyara nahe"

do wat u want, think wat u want, follow watever thinking method that makes u happy. at the end of the day, if u have no rehat, maharaj dont care wat good deeds u do or wat not.

no rehat = no sikhi. period.

WJKK WJKF

Dear RAV44

Could you please expand on your request a little bit more as per

What is the objective of the documentary

Who is project owner (production company, TV)

Who is audience etc.

no pressure but if Sangat gets this info we all may be able to give you better input.

as per you second Q regarding 5K or good person

Well then the ans is that a pooran sikh is only one who has both like a currency coin has 2 values

an economic or intrinsic value

and face value

a pooran sikh internally should be a good person. then the outside all sikhs are supposed to wear 5Ks and honestly 5Ks compliment virtues of a good person

therefore let us sum it up

a Sikhs face value is his 5Ks

and Sikhs intrinsic value is to be a good person.

you wont be able to use money if either of these qualities are missing from it.

rehat is good deeds?

so sikh who is clean shave, no ahibyaas, no simran, never reads gurbani, but he does help out at the local homeless shelter every week, would that be a sikh?

good deeds are not rehat, and good deeds are not gonna get the job done, iam sorry, its not that easy...

Rav I am a sikh who doesn't follow religion, I do not believe in the tribal construct of religion, for me following religion is just going against what I understand about Guru Nanak Dev Ji's teachings. I also do not call it sikh"ism". I do not consider myself a Sikh with capital S because this is to describe ones religion, but I do consider myself as a sikh (disciple) of Guru Nanak. I consider myself a human being being overall

I beleive in spirituality. I follow dharma/dharam.

I do not see sikhi and sikh panth being limited to the Khalsa fauj. When I was younger I used to respect people with turbans and beards, and this led me to keep my own because of so much respect. However, from many girls and guys that are either amrit-shak, or else call themselves as religious, I have seen much characterless behaviour, and also these days behaviour that is very extreme anjd against the unity of humanity, which has led me to not really view them as differently from people with haircuts and so on. This is very unfortunate, I wish this never happened :( A person could have 5 khs, but then do stuff like make pre-marital partners like bf-gf, or look at non-amritdharis or even non-sikhs as lower, separate themselves from the rest of humantiy etc... there are many things. A person can be bad no matter what.

Now I believe in a person being good, before being a good sikh. I believe a person from any type of background can be a sikh/follower of Guru ji, and should not be tribalistically limited.

WAH !!!

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW:

I gotta say this...

JAKARA GAJAAVAY NIHAAL HO JAAVAY KALGIDHAR DE MANN NU BHAAVAYYYYYY SOOOOOO NIHAAAAALLLLLL

S A T S R I A K A A L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rehat is good deeds?

so sikh who is clean shave, no ahibyaas, no simran, never reads gurbani, but he does help out at the local homeless shelter every week, would that be a sikh?

good deeds are not rehat, and good deeds are not gonna get the job done, iam sorry, its not that easy...

yes, having a beard or hair does not matter, as long as the person lives a truthful life, remembers GOD, lives for others, thats what matters!

thats what the guru says not me! i wasn't religious whatsoever, when GOD bestowed his grace, i started reading SGGS and then i believe in what SGGS tells me not the priests in gurudwara, my family members or whatever the other sikhs are doing.

regarding the hair, i have full hair and used to have full beard too. i shaved my beard off because i realise whether or not i have a beard, i am still slave to my mind and having it or not does not make a difference. Same with the hair too, one day i will cut them too.

now the whole world can come to me and say that what i am doing is wrong but if my inner guru tells me it is not wrong, then it doesnt bother me what people say. my inner guru has cleared my doubts and showed me the truth.