Do Sikhs Reject Vedas

besoft

It is a fact that Gurbani does not contradict itself and it conveys the same message. Only Akaal Purakh and His Naam is respected and praised in Gurbani. No other religious figure, prophet or holy book is praised. So when interpreting Gurbani we must always keep other shabads in mind so that the interpretation does not go against the essence of Gurbani. Pankti you quoted and the next one means this:

ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਹੀ ਨਾਮ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ, ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਹੀ ਸੱਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਹੀ ਇਹ ਸਮਝ ਆਉਂਦੀ ਹੇ ਕਿ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਰਬ ਵਿਆਪਕ ਹੈ । ਸੋ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੀ ਜਗਿਆਸੂ ਲਈ ਸੱਚਾ ਸ਼ਿਵ, ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ, ਗੋਰਖ ਅਤੇ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਹੈ । ਭਾਵ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੀ ਸਭ ਕੁਝ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਉਹ ਇਕ ਹੈ ।

This interpretation is accepted by scholars. Also keep in mind that word "Ved" have two meanings. It literally means Gyaan or true knowledge. It also means four books of the Brahmins which do not speak of Naam. These four books are full of pakhand, blind rituals, animal sacrifice, bhoot pret etc. In pankti you quoted, Ved means true knowledge or brahmgyaan and it is obtained through a guru. If it referred to books of Brahmins then it would make no sense because only Brahmins have the right to read and study vedas. No one else can even touch them whether they have guru or not. Bhagat Kabir Ji, Fareed Ji, and other bhagats had a true guru but never studied vedas. Bhagat Naamdev Ji was a true Bhagat but he wasn't even allowed to enter a temple then how did he obtain this wisdom of vedas? How can we expect a person to obtain knowledge of vedas through a guru if he is not allowed to touch or see them? I hope you understand my point. Not just the word "Ved" but almost all words in Gurbani have multiple meanings and it all depends on the context.

Using the example of Vedas does not justify holding them in high regards. Gurbani uses examples from both Hinduism and Islam that is because there existed only two major religions which people followed. Using Christian examples would've made no sense. It would've been perfect to use bible or Jesus as an example to convey the message had Guru Sahib come in a Christian country. Guru Sahib used many words from Hinduism and Islam but redefined them and used them as tools to deliver the divine message. Guru Sahib used elephants, dogs and other animals as examples at some places but doesn't mean Guru Sahib held them in high regards.

This topic is huge and there are hundred of panktis that refer to Vedas and Katebas. I would suggest you study teekas first like Darpan. This would help you to understand Gurbani better. Of course, there are other sources like teeka of Bhai Veer Singh, Faridkoti, book of Bhai Randhir Singh Ji, katha of Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji etc. So study as many as you can. Each will give you more knowledge. I enjoy discussing Gurbani because it gives me better understanding and helps me to learn more as well. Understanding Gurbani, seva, simran are all important. One cannot understand the significance of doing simran without gurbani veechar. Guru Rakha

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਹੀ ਨਾਮ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ, ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਹੀ ਸੱਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਹੀ ਇਹ ਸਮਝ ਆਉਂਦੀ ਹੇ ਕਿ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਰਬ ਵਿਆਪਕ ਹੈ । ਸੋ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੀ ਜਗਿਆਸੂ ਲਈ ਸੱਚਾ ਸ਼ਿਵ, ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ, ਗੋਰਖ ਅਤੇ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਹੈ । ਭਾਵ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੀ ਸਭ ਕੁਝ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਉਹ ਇਕ ਹੈ ।

This interpretation is accepted by scholars. Also keep in mind that word "Ved" have two meanings. It literally means Gyaan or true knowledge. It also means four books of the Brahmins which do not speak of Naam.

Guru Rakha

After going through your reply, I think most of the doubts are over. Yes, I know Gurmukhi perfectly well and have read Teeka of Sahib singh ji. Faridkoti Teeka is slightly different.

As suggested I have been able to get hold of the book...Hum Hindu Nahin.

My sincerest Regards and thx.

Namstang ji: There is no need of feeling any guilt on your head. I might have sounded harsh but we are not perfect human beings.I quote a 'tuk' of Farid ji. Keep it in mind while interacting with others as No one is wise and no one is fool.{Bani}

Do not Break the Heart of anyone. These are all precious Jewels.{Farid ji}

May Waheguru Forgive you.!

Guru Rakha or Rab Rakha. See you soon in some other thread.