Tutor Gopal

Sikhi4Ever

TUTOR

One day, this handsome child's dad Mehta Kalu told the priest: This child is giving away articles of the house so often. You tell me, what should I do? He is our only son and has come after a long wait. I wouldn't like to beat him.

The priest then said: Sir, Let him study. Let him go to the tutor. Let him learn to read and write and do sums, so that he can work when he becomes grown up. He will be busy with the tutor the whole day. But please don't beat him or slap him. He is a Lord's loving child.

Then Mehta Kalu took him to the tutor. The tutor's name was Gopal. Like today, we send children to school and they learn arithmetic and other subjects. In olden days people used to send children to the tutor to study.

Mehta Kalu said to Gopal: Here you are, Tutor, you please teach my child. You teach him to read and write. You teach him arithmetic and all accounts and whatever knowledge you have.

The tutor distributed the sweets and with love made the child sit near him. He took out a writing board and on the top wrote in an artistic style: 'Saint Blessed'. Then, he wrote a few letters of the alphabet on the writing board and gave it to the godly child to copy and write.

No child would understand the meaning of 'Saint Blessed'. The tutor used to write as a sort of blessing: 'I bow to the saint', so that the child may learn by the blessings of the saint. Saint means a man of God.

This handsome child Nanak read the alphabet as if he knew it already. Then the tutor wrote the numerals, one to ten. That also the godly child wrote very quickly.

Then, one day the tutor taught him to combine the alphabets and said: By combining the alphabets you can write words, and when you learn the words, then you can write a letter or you can write anything that comes to your mind.

One day the tutor saw that the godly child had written a word. When he asked: O child, what have you written?

The godly child replied: I have written 'H'. If we put 'e' next to it, then it becomes 'He".

The tutor (with astonishment) asked: what is 'He'? Then the handsome child said: 'He' who has created us. 'He' is our Lord. 'He' who has created the entire world. The tutor was wonderstruck to hear this. For sometime he was quiet. Then he asked: Anything else?

The godly child: Yes, my tutor. 'H' is humility. Service to the Lord with humility is fruitful.

Tutor: Dear child, what is fruitful?

The godly child: Good deeds. The effort to do good deeds is fruitful. It doesn't go waste.

The tutor was amazed. In deep thought he went and sat on his carpet.

The child kept his writing board in front of him and sat down with eyes closed and quiet. The child whom we should call the Lord's child continued learning for some more days.

One day, the tutor called him and asked: I had taught you to write sentences, Have you written those?

Then the child brought his writing board and showed it to the tutor. On the writing board was written as under:

It is He, who is the creator, one Lord of all Those who are remembering Him from their heart Are serving Him. Their life has become fruitful.

When the tutor read all what he had written, then sometimes he looked at the child's face and sometimes at his feet. The tutor's head bowed down in respect and he said to himself: This child in this young age knows everything about the Lord. Even the pandits don't know that much. Maybe he has come as a prophet from the Lord.