Australian Sangat

hellosingh

hi all

i was talkin 2 1 off my polish mate at work and we were talkin about diffrent countries we would like to visit. i said that i would like to visit Australia and maybe even 1 day live there. my polish mate then goes that its like france and sikh kids in school are not allowed to wear their dastar. and also muslim girls not allowed to wear hijab etc. and that we must adopt their culture or we will not be allowed to live there.

is there any austrailan sangat that knows the truth !!!!!!!!

na man nothing like that in here. i wore a patka in high school, from year 7 to 12 never faced discrimination. my mate used to come with a dastaar to school, no problems and we were the only two sikhs in the entire school. so you wont face any major problems if you are in sydney, in other states people dont really know about sikhs that much so obviously some problems do occur, but in sydney you wont face any major problems since there is a large arab, european and pacific islander population here, so people are more aware of different backgrounds and cultures... recently large number of desi people are migrating here too so its all good.

any other questions let me know...

well..am in frm australia...there is nothing as u talking abt like turban problem , or other things....i never faced any problem yet..but some ppl think we r muslim ..so in this case we have to give them a lecture..(lol)..but anyway its nice place to live ...you all r welcome .... :)

Aussieland ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS!!!!

I wore my dastaar whilst in uni there all the time and never once faced any racist problem. Instead the gorehs respect you more for following your religion and faith. In fact, they are very intrigued to learn about Sikhism & our practices.

I daresay Aussieland is considerably more tolerant. Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! :):p

well..am in frm australia...there is nothing as u talking abt like turban problem , or other things....i never faced any problem yet..but some ppl think we r muslim ..so in this case we have to give them a lecture..(lol)..but anyway its nice place to live ...you all r welcome .... :)

I'm Muslim and in Australia too.

You mentioned that Muslim girls can't wear the Hijab in schools here? That's wrong. :) I know many who do in public schools.

This country is a hole for Sikhs, don't waste your money. I faced racism but as I progressed through the grades in my high school, it stopped. Don't get me wrong, its great for a holiday, but don't live here. As for sikhism, there is none. Here its only on face value. The Giani's (in Sydney that is) don't give a rats <banned word filter activated> on what theyre doing to whom or how theyre doing the particular task. Once again, come for a holiday, don't live here.