Anyone Visited These Places In Punjab

S1ngh

i know about the first place (Sher singhs residence). It is located inside a christian college in Batala Gurdaspur. The building is in very bad condition. The land is on lease to the Christian college, it is the same college where Mr. Mc-leod taught for some time. All christian missionaries in punjab visit this college once. The building belongs to Punjab Govt. and is on lease to christian college management. In front of the building there is a very prominent church about 100 years old. The college adminstration uses Sher Singh's palace as main office. They paint and renovate the church every year but don't do anything for the palace building. They say it is the property of govt. therefore the responisibility is on the govt. not us. This building has been greatly modified for office use and is falling down and according to my prediction will vanish after 100 years.

Any idea when the lease of this building expires? I am sure its probably more than 50 years since the college took the building.

The Sher Singh palace is in a pretty poor state and is difficult (if not impossible) to gain access to. As a previous commentator on this site just said, it is a victim of Punjabi officialdom and the bureaucracy seems to be paralysed with inaction becuase that is easier to do nothing than actually saving this building. You will know that there are precious few (if any) buildings from the period of Ranjit Singh that are left intact within East Punjab. These two stories illustrate the history and the importance of this building:

http://www.punjabheritage.org/content/view/765/32/

http://www.punjabheritage.org/content/view/359/32/

The second building is the Qila Mubarak in Patiala. I visited this last in 2002 so it has been some years, but the building is truly one of the most important fortress palaces of the entire sub-continent. It also happens to be architecturally one of the very few truly Sikh buildings left in existance. MOst other truly Sikh forts have been destroyed pretty systematically over the years. It had been undergoing quite serious and very well funded restoration whilst Amrinder Singh was CM (not a huge surprise) but this stopped when the politics changed. I am not sure just how accessible it is now- perhaps someone else can let us all know. I have been inside the fortress a number of times and each time I have had to either lie, bribe or sneak my way in or use some personal connection to gain access.

It's a scandalous situation where Punjabis are not given access to the most remarkable pieces of our heritage and we have to bribe or use political muscle to get into these places.

I hope this helps.

aman

Any idea when the lease of this building expires? I am sure its probably more than 50 years since the college took the building.

I think the lease has already expired and the college was to be or should have been re-named as Maharaja Sher Singh College, as per lease agreement. But it didn't happen due to vote bank politics as Batala has more reserve population then general and most are christians. Also i am not so sure about this lease and re-naming story as i heard this from someone long time back.

I am comming from Batal (next to batala a pind), and there were a lot of old palaces like that. But they are all broken and in a very bad situation. Nobdy is taking care of them.

Next time I am there, i will visit this place. I never knew that this is Maharaja Sher Singhs castel. There is also a Place of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

We should keep them. Because Punjab and the history of Punjab is very old and interesting for tourists. But mostly we duno our history...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Net pay after taxes. If you don't agree, think about this: If you were a trader and started off in China with silk that cost 100 rupees and came to India, and you had to pay total 800 rupees taxes at every small kingdom along the way, and then sold your goods for 1000 rupees, you'd have 100 rupees left, right? If your daswandh is on the gross, that's 100 rupees, meaning you have nothing left. Obviously, you owe only 10% of 100, not 10% of 1000. No, it's 10% before bills and other expenses. These expenses are not your expenses to earn money. They are consumption. If you are a business owner, you take out all expenses, including rent, shop electricity, cost of goods sold, advertising, and government taxes. Whatever is left is your profit and you owe 10% of that.  If you are an employee, you are also entitled to deduct the cost of earning money. That would be government taxes. Everything else is consumption.    
    • No, bro, it's simply not true that no one talks about Simran. Where did you hear that? Swingdon? The entire Sikh world talks about doing Simran, whether it's Maskeen ji, Giani Pinderpal Singh, Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi, or Sants. So what are you talking about? Agreed. Agreed. Well, if every bani were exactly the same, then why would Guru ji even write anything after writing Japji Sahib? We should all enjoy all the banis. No, Gurbani tells you to do Simran, but it's not just "the manual". Gurbani itself also has cleansing powers. I'm not saying not to do Simran. Do it. But Gurbani is not merely "the manual". Reading and singing Gurbani is spiritually helpful: ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਭਾਖਿਆ ॥  ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਪੜਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੈ ਤੂ ਰਾਖਿਆ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ The Lord's Bani and the words are the best utterances. Ever sing hear and recite them, O brother and the Perfect Guru shall save thee. Pause. p611 Here Guru ji shows the importance of both Bani and Naam: ਆਇਓ ਸੁਨਨ ਪੜਨ ਕਉ ਬਾਣੀ ॥ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿ ਲਗਹਿ ਅਨ ਲਾਲਚਿ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਪਰਾਣੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ The mortal has come to hear and utter Bani. Forgetting the Name thou attached thyself to other desires. Vain is thy life, O mortal. Pause. p1219 Are there any house manuals that say to read and sing the house manual?
    • All of these are suppositions, bro. Linguists know that, generally, all the social classes of a physical area speak the same language, though some classes may use more advanced vocabulary. I'm talking about the syntax. That is, unless the King is an invader, which Porus was not. When you say Punjabi wasn't very evolved, what do you mean? The syntax must have been roughly the same. As for vocabulary, do you really think Punjabis at the time did nothing more than grunt to express their thoughts? That they had no shades of meaning? Such as hot/cold, red/yellow/blue, angry/sweet/loving/sad, etc? Why must we always have an inferiority complex?
    • I still think about that incident now and then, just haven't heard any developments regarding what happened, just like so many other things that have happened in Panjab!
    • There was a young Singh from abroad who went to Anandpur Sahib Hola and got into a fight with some Punjabis who were playing loud non-religious music. He had bana and a weapon or two. There were more of them than him.  He ended up losing his life. Don't be like that. Not worth it to fight manmukhs. @californiasardar1 ਮੂਰਖੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਨ ਲੁਝੀਐ ॥੧੯॥ Argue not with a fool. p473

Important Information

Terms of Use