Sikhnet & Money

Guest Not Sure

Guest Not Sure

I know that Sikhnet do lots of seva and they have excellent website, but looking through their 2008 Annual Report and noticed their Payroll is $183,137. There are 5 people working on their payroll so that’s $36627.40 each, that is the biggest expense I only earn $22400, so i am not sure why the sikh community is paying so much to them for their website and the huge wages. Still waiting for a response from them....but somehow i don’t think i will get one. Wondered if anyone here knows?

"so i am not sure why the sikh community is paying so much to them for their website and the huge wages"

Look at their seva and also note that out of that expense, they travel across the globe. Gurkha SIngh has come to UK several times and helped at sikh camps. It is by far the best sikhi website out their which actually promotes sikh dharma to the masses and helps people in their day to day lives. Many forums fail to do this due to the politics they have. Mrsikhnet.com and sikhnet.com have taught me more about sikh dharma than the gursikhs local to me who seem either too egotistical or too "humble" to approach me as I don't look like them.

God bless them and I hope they achieve more funds beyond imagination...

Consider the amount of hours they most likely put in.

They probably work over 8 hours a day. Meaning 36 thousand would put them below minimum wage.

Also, depending on where you live 36 thousand could put you at poverty line or a little over it. However, if you have a family, it would definitely drop you below it.

36 thousand is a reasonable salary, in my opinion.

Why shouldn't they pay themselves a decent wage ($36600 is hardly extravagant, in fact it's quite bad for IT). They all have families to take care of and spend most of their time working for the community. Also, how do you know that is all comes from doanations?

They don't just maintain the website but make films, animations etc - do you have any idea how much that costs?

they do amazing seva and have a lot of internet skills

if they were not working full time on sikhnet, they'd be earning alot more.

how else do you expect these sevadaar's to support their family? and make up for the life they would have had economically if they had not been required to put in time into the site.

Guest _Tubelight_

Right. Our parcharaks should only have enough money so that they can feed themselves and their family and nothing more. They should not have money to buy expensive clothes or a decent car. If they ever need money, they should go beg for it from gurudwara committee's who waste tons of money doing things like building expensive buildings etc...

Then we wonder why there are no parcharaks being produced in Sikhi ... Parcharak's should be treated like Kings, they should be paid enough so that they can be well off. Becoming a parcharak is not easy. You can get a decent degree (consequently a decent job) after 4 years in University. Becoming a good parcharak takes 10+ years of kamaii!!!

$36627.40 is hardly a lot of money. If you have a mortgage to pay, that is not enough!!! Then you have to add on the cost of food, electricity, water, heat etc...

Honestly, it seems to me that you are just jealous that they are making more money than you and are doing immense sewa for the Panth at the same time! If you had email Sikhnet folks, what was the point of making this thread?

Guest Not Sure

Thank you for the replies, i have learnt a lot from this question

1 - That the sangat can not give a answer with pyar anymore

"You only earn $22K? --> £15K (GBP) That's rubbish!"

"it seems to me that you are just jealous"

Thank you for making me feel that i do not anything for the panth and that I lie.

2 - That we can not question where our money is going to when we give it for seva. If the average wage is $36k that is more than acceptable, thats all i wanted to know.

I asked a question here because i did not get answer from them. Why so much hostility, if i made a mistake tell me...but i did not know it was against sikhi to ask questions!

May Vaheguru bless you with all you require without ridicule!

Thank you

Those who do parchaar, do not do it for a wage, they take whatever is given e.g. several hundred examples in history.

However i agree that parcharaks should have the expenses taken care of by the sangat, only if they do good parchaar and follow and stick to gurmat maryada. Some of the things that sikhnet/3ho do are ''questionable'' however they do some good parchaar at same time.