Stabbing At Dixie Gurughar - Ontario

Singh23

A 15-year-old boy who was stabbed in the stomach during a fight with a younger teen last night at the Ontario Khalsa Darbar temple on Dixie Rd. is expected to fully recover from his wounds.

Peel Regional Police were called to the Dixie Gurdwara at 7080 Dixie Rd., just north of Derry Rd. E., at about 9 p.m. after a reported stabbing. The temple was filled with people enjoying Vaisaki, an annual Sikh religious festival that celebrates the start of the new solar year and draws thousands of people throughout the day. It culminates with socializing and a large meal in the evening.

Upon their arrival, police found a 15-year-old boy in a basement kitchen of the temple suffering from stab wounds.

"He was rushed to hospital with what turned out to be non life-threatening injuries," Cst. Marlene Murphy told The News this morning.

Police arrested a 13-year-old youth inside the temple. The victim and the accused know each other and police suspect they were involved in an ongoing dispute.

The suspect, who has been charged with assault, was released into his parent's custody on a promise to appear in court on May 19.

A man who answered a call to the temple after the incident told The Globe and Mail that a fight broke out and one of the boys grabbed a kitchen knife from a nearby table of food while evening prayers were taking place.

What could spark a young kid to do something like that? And in the gurdwara. Im shocked at their ages. This kali yug is getting really bad. I blame super egos. By this i mean if a person is ego, a super ego is where they learn from. i.e Parents, friends, TV, videogames, magazines, music. Within each of these we see so much violence. alot of us see our parents fighting, and things getting heated up between friends. And especially in movies and stuff, we always see stabbing and shooting this thing has become the norm.

Forget all that may influence these teens. Is it not the lack of knowledge and respect which caused it? Whoever these 2 were would more than likely say they are Sikh.. but would they have anything in their heads about Sikhi? Do they know who the Guru is? Do they realise exactly what power is within our Guru? I would say not.

If they had any knowledge of Sikhi.. had an morsel of undestanding they would atleast go to Gurdwara with some nimarta. They would have some respect for where they are. They would atleast know that you don't fight or stab someone in a Gurdwara.. in the home of our Guru.

I go to that Gurdwara quite a lot and I always see groups of guys and girls for that matter down in the Langar Hall or in un used halls in the Gurdwara just "chillin". The plan it out with their freinds who go to the Gurdwara that go on a friday and I'll meet you here or there. Parents think well I'm atleast bringing my child to the Gurdwara once a week.. they don't realise what their kids are doing. They don't listen to Gurbani.. not the simran. Nothing. They go to hang out with freinds. I've gone on long enough.

This just wouldn't happen if sharda and pyar for Sikhi was around like it used to.

Can someone bring this message to the attention of the gurudwara committee?

The gurudwara and sangat are victims of this crime in addition to anyone else. The media and system would like to suggest that the gurudwara is part of the crime. This victimizes the gurudwara even more harshly! This serious of a fight between kids probably happens a dozens of times every day across Canada going largely unnoticed, but of course this ONE makes it in your national papers!!

The crime is published in the papers, likely in an existing racially presumptuous environment. Anti-sikh propaganda nurtured in Canada does not help either. Sorry canadians, as much as you like to think you're not racist, your country is probably part very progressive and increasingly part most hypocritical in hiding under its multicultural guise, makes for a great place for the most modern and effective racism.

Anyway, gurudwara should start with googling ...victim impact statement ontario.... They should then proceed to work through their own counsel or directly with the prosecutor to complete a victim impact statement. It's possible that they may face an initial suggestion that only individuals can present victim impact statements, not organizations. I don't profess to know the answer, but I would take issue with this and ask for the basis of that opinion...corporations are persons at law, so is a non-profit organization? If that truly is an obstacle, then one or two most articulate sangat members can make individual statements and how the crime effects them and their sangat personally in regard to the hurt caused by it being in a gurudwara generally and also by the lightening rod it provides for modern racism and how they will be burdened with working to undo the effects.

Although, it happens at sentencing, it is important that the gurudwara start looking into this now and make their position clear so the mainstream and media can understand the sikh community position as victims. Given that youth are involved, it would also be a good idea for the gurudwara to be proactive in showing some leadership, direction, compassion to those involved and other youth sangat in general.

My friend was actually in the langar hall in the time and he's also an acquittance of the two boys. He told me that the boys were actually just "play" fighting to start of with in the kitchen area. While joking around one of the kids picked up and knife and "accidentally" stabbed the other boy. After which both of the boys were shocked and somebody near by quickly called 911. He said it was unclear whether one of the boys actually said something to provoke the other boy or whether it was just purely accidental.