Dreams

Guest SKR

dude i can say tht i ve been goin thru the same thing since i was very young.... but with path and gurbani it does mimic but its still there... am surprised how similar is ur reporting to wht i experience....

Hello Sangat,

In the past i keep having these weird dreams in which i feel like i'm being held down, like something is pushing my chest down. I know that i'm dreaming and i want to get up but im paralysed. It doesn't happen as much now. Other times i have felt something sitting on my bed and once, something i found really frightening, i woke up( well i thought i woke but i was actually in a dream like state, if you understand what i mean) and as i looked towards my door there was this black figure, like a mans figure and it came towards my bed, as if it was coming to get me and i tried to scream for my mum but then i woke up.

Like everytime this happens, everything looks as if its real, like i can see my curtains and my room is exactly as it is, so it seems very real.

I just want to know what you guys would think these events are and what sikhi would say about this?

Look up sleep paralysis, it is a very common experience - there's nothing supernatural about it.

It is also very common for people undergoing the experience to imagine someone or something sitting on their chest. In fact, sleep paralysis used to be called Old Hag Syndrome because people used to see an old woman sitting on their chest (the experience was called being "Hag-Ridden"). It is a cross-cultural experience. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

You may want to talk to your doctor if it is a recurrent problem. He may give you sleeping aids or refer you to a sleep clinic.

Above all, don't get paranoid about this being a spiritual experience. It's not "black magic" as many Punjabis may tell you, it is entirely biological.

Hope this helps,

K.

Yes it is just sleep paralysis. Thats what happens when you wake up and you can't move and you are seeing things, nothing magical about it. It can easily be treated.