Number Of Sikhs Worldwide

geo

just looking for your opinion and any facts that you can provide (please provide the source/research)

there are an estimated 23 million "sikhs" worldwide. i assume that this is based on how many people would identify themselves as sikhs if asked. obviously not all of them keep the 5 k's

given that there are strict and non strict definitions of what is a sikh - the question is this:

how many sikhs do you think there are worldwide and what is your definition of sikh?

U cud go to many levels and trust me, its no point asking on this forum. You will spin off a debate about who is sikh - can you have moneh Sikhs? Can you have sehajdhaari Sikhs? Are you a Sikh if you dont follow x maryadha? Are you a Sikh if you follow a certain jathabandhi?

Guest confusingh

Approx 25 million Sikhs across the world...

despite recent GOI invasive methods alongside SGPC and another organisation to establish ONLY Amritdhari Sikhs as being Sikhs (political reasons to make Sikhs smaller, give them less influence etc.)

A Sikh is anybody who follows the teachings of the 10 Gurus and believes Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj to be their eternal Guru.

Rehat Maryada is pretty clear on who is a Sikh:-

Believes in the existence of One eternal God

Accepts as their only Spiritual guide as the Guru Granth Sahib and the ten human Gurus and follows their teachings

Believes in the baptism Amrit Sanchar as promoted by the tenth Guru, and

Does not owe allegiance to any other religion.

Note that TAKES is not a word used, a Sikh is one who BELIEVES (accepts as true) therefore one who does not take Amrit yet believes the practice to be true and holds belief in it is still a Sikh...

Ultimately you're not a Gursikh until you fully follow Rehat Maryada, take Amrit and live a Gurmat lifestyle.

My personal belief; anybody who holds faith in the four above points and believes in the teachings of our Gurus and sees Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj as their eternal Guru is a Sikh.

Approx 25 million Sikhs across the world...

despite recent GOI invasive methods alongside SGPC and another organisation to establish ONLY Amritdhari Sikhs as being Sikhs (political reasons to make Sikhs smaller, give them less influence etc.)

A Sikh is anybody who follows the teachings of the 10 Gurus and believes Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj to be their eternal Guru.

Rehat Maryada is pretty clear on who is a Sikh:-

Believes in the existence of One eternal God

Accepts as their only Spiritual guide as the Guru Granth Sahib and the ten human Gurus and follows their teachings

Believes in the baptism Amrit Sanchar as promoted by the tenth Guru, and

Does not owe allegiance to any other religion.

Note that TAKES is not a word used, a Sikh is one who BELIEVES (accepts as true) therefore one who does not take Amrit yet believes the practice to be true and holds belief in it is still a Sikh...

Ultimately you're not a Gursikh until you fully follow Rehat Maryada, take Amrit and live a Gurmat lifestyle.

My personal belief; anybody who holds faith in the four above points and believes in the teachings of our Gurus and sees Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj as their eternal Guru is a Sikh.

Well said. I am sure majority of Sikhs agree with you.

U cud go to many levels and trust me, its no point asking on this forum. You will spin off a debate about who is sikh - can you have moneh Sikhs? Can you have sehajdhaari Sikhs? Are you a Sikh if you dont follow x maryadha? Are you a Sikh if you follow a certain jathabandhi?

im looking for your opinion. it is based on your ideas and beliefs.