Making Fun Of Name

Guest Proud Sikh

Guest Proud Sikh

SSA

Hi, basicaly I started sighing on at the job centre for the last 9 months. Because I was made redundant. I was actually in a high flying job.

But anyway. I dont know if I'm being over senstive.

But when the advisors at the job centre call your name out. This guy kinda called my name out in a strange way. Like he had never comes across the name 'Singh' Before. and the advisor next to him she started smiled at him in a cheeky way.

The fact of the matter is. I live in a multi cultral area. And I'm pretty sure that the advisors have come across the name Singh before.

Whichleads me to belive that they were just trying to have a dig at me.

I was very angry by this.

this has never happend to me in 25 years of my life. And I'm not sure what to do? I was very close to losing it in the job centre. this has never happend to me in my life. and ive been signing on for the past 9 months.

the advisors in question were a black man and a white woman. I think the black guy wanted to impress the white girl.

I'm actually thinking of making a formal complaint.

Your ego aches...

Get over it. Singhs are humble not proud. Try to see the difference between being humble and proud.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji was showered with stones once. Remember? What did he do instead? He not only forgave the people but also helped them evolve into better beings. That's humility. Learn to forgive and move on. Try to help others.

lol just take it easy. as far as i can tell it wasnt intentional. obviously you know better but things like these happen to everyone all the time. just tell him the correct way to pronounce your name and if he does it again on purpose then lodge a complaint, give him the benefit of doubt and dont jump to conclusions.

if it upset you you should make a complaint. these people sound like losers who are unhappy with their lives so find ways to boost their ego. you should complain to teach them a lesson and stop them treating others this way.

You should have confronted them by asking the guy why he and the white girl smiled at each other when they pronounced your name in a odd way. they defo have heard the name before and prob was tryin to take the mick but i doubt they were trying to offend you, they were prob just tryin to have a laugh amongst themselves. but still you should have asked the guy straight up in a calm way just to let him know that you wont have some lil idiots taking the mick. even if you would have asked they wouldnt have told you the truth they prob would have just tried to shrug it off. truth is there was prob no malice in the joke so a polite enquiry no matter the outcome would have been enough to show them that your not some kind of <banned word filter activated> thats going to take them taking the mick.

No need to get upset. People say my name wrong all the time, they call me preetam singh. I say ummm no its pritham singh, they again say preetam singh, I again say ummm no it is p-r-i-t-a-m sing after the fourth or fifth time I just say "oh well" it is no big deal. I even have people try to make fun of my name and what does it prove??? nothing it only show how stupid people can be to try to make fun of your name. Some people act stupider than kids, most people I see that look at me stupid do worse things than we teach our kids not to do. Dont jusdge a book by its cover, but parents do. Dont point and stare but parents do. let others do their stipud things dont fall into the trap of stupidity.

If they discriminate you or something of the sort then file a complaint but filing a complaint for an alleged mixup on purpose just might get them to loophole you out of a job. i.e. you file a complaint and they figure a way out to legally fire you over time with certain things you do/dont etc. (basically set you up for a legit failure and then fire you for your actions)

as others said calm your ego down.