Ego Amongst Some 'singhs' & Singhnia After Wearing 5 K's And Taking Amrit

Guest WanabeSikh

ok this thread is slightly ridiculous now, it has been reduced to personal attacks. the quality of some of the responses saddens me..and to think, these are our future generations. waheguroo.

wanabesikh bhenji, i will try to answer you questions with the little understanding i may have. i apologise in advance if this post is of no use.

1)Why do Singhs and Singhnia choose who they greet with 'Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh' ? Do you have to wear a dastaar in order to recieve this greeting? Does the greeter only say this to those that they believe to be 'religious'?

ok, to a certain extent we unfortunately DO have to choose who to say fateh to..many a time, i have said fateh to someone and they have replied with "hi" or "sat sri akaal" or "kidha puth" :S which to be honest is very upsetting. the guroos fateh should never be ignored, it is very disrespectful. so for this reason, sometimes i will just smile at someone instead. some people in my family cannot even pronounce the fateh which is extremely sad. if i didnt know them, and said fateh to them, it would feel to them as if i were belittling them (this is what they personally told me) and i believe it would push them further away. maybe my actions are completely wrong, and if so i apologise. i try to make everyone feel comfortable and speak to them on a basis that they are comfortable with. the last thing we want is to push people away. if someone says fateh to me even once, i will smile and say fateh to them every single time i see them.

2)What spiritual boons do Singhs and Singhnia achieve from walking backwards in a Gurdwara? Yes, Sri Guru Amar Das Ji did this out of LOVE and DEVOTION to the Guru. This was his personal feeling and expression of Love. None of the other Gurus did this but had as much love for the previous Guru as did Guru Amar Das Ji. I.E you cannot copy somebodys actions and imply that it is done out of LOVE.

I have only ever seen you walk backwards to the door ... why not walk backwards all the way as did guru Amar Das Ji? I've never seen anybody walk backwards down the stairs or all the way into the car park. My personal feeling is that I can walk out of the Gurdwara forwards or backwards and my love for Waheguru will not increase or decrease. I think (based on what I have seen) that mosts Singhs and Singhnia do it because they think oh I must do this now as this is what all other Singhs and Singhnia do, I'm a part of the Khalsa Panth, I need to show everyone that I have respect for Guru Ji. And so killing the feeling of Love and giving birth to ego instead. As Guru Gobind Singh Ji advises us in Jaap Sahib, Waheguru is in all directions. You turn your back to the wall but behind that wall there is another Saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ... so what did you achieve? I would really like to know why you do this? Please speak the truth.

we do not know other peoples intentions and that is not for us to judge. satuguroo maharaaj is antarjami. ghat ghat ke antar kee jaanath. they know what is inside our hearts, they know whether we are being fake or not. do not concern yourself with the intentions of other people. i know a bibi, who has so much nimratha and pyaar for guroo maharaaj that when she gets maharaajs darshan and teks her mathaa, she cannot physically take her eyes off satguroo, its like her eyes are glued in that direction. if someone is walking backwards for dikhaava then of course that is wrong, and will breed ego. and we all know ego takes us away from maharaaj. but if someone has pure intentions and does it out of true love then they are a very fortunate soul. but, we cannot know which of these is true for people we meet. so dont worry about it. let them get on with it. if one day, you want to walk backwards and not physically turn your back and you have pure intentions, then you shouldnt stop yourself.

also (i am aware this is getting long, maafi jee) anything we do can bring ego. even doing nitnem in the morning.."i do my nitnem every day along with this much naam abhiyaas, look how dedicated i am, look how strong my jeevan is, i must have a lot of kamaee by now"..does this mean we should stop doing nitnem? of course not. on the contrary, it means that we need to double our nitnem!! lol =)

3)Also i have seen many of you with private plates ... S1NGH K9UR5 etc, if there is no 'I' in you and there is only 'Him' ... then what is the need to identify your lowly self with a private plate? Also, breaking the speed limit is not OK even if you are Amritdhari and always Jaaping Naam.

erm, dont really know what to make of this point. sometimes i think we concern ourselves too much with what others are doing? just forget about them, koi naa. let them so what theyre doing, and get on with building your own jeevan. wondering why people have private number plates or why they break the speed limit is not going to benefit you spiritually. forget about it.

sorry for a long rambling post, i hope you can find a tiny bit of useful information in the middle of all that..

bhul chuk maafi jio

gurfateh.

Only Five:

WanabeSikh, you want an arguement over this well you got one. Just to give you a heads up. Your going to lose.

There are many things that I could say to this, but I think on this note I'll end my responses to the topic here. If I continue to reply now I will be involved in an 'argument'. I don't wish to argue with members of Sangat or make them feel as though they have 'lost'. As a young girl wanting to get more into Sikhi I see things and think 'wow' and then I see other things and think 'why'. I guess I should be less observative from now on so that these 'why' questions do not arouse in my mind.

And Jag_Singh - sorry to put a stop to your idea of 'fun' before it even started.

Gur Fateh Sangat Ji.

You proclaim to be a learner, but a learner doesn't make judgements. A learner would walk up to the individuals that don't turn there back on Guru Sahib and ask why. A learner would ask why don't they turn their back on Guru Sahib in this forum. I have no problem answering others questions on Sikhi. It's when fools judge others, insult the person and then say I was just trying to ask why. I don't know which planet you live on, but here on earth humans can see what your intentions were.

A little heads up, the word arguement has a negative form and a positive form and neutral. It was up to you on which form you wanted to speak next.biggrin.gif

Guest khalsa akj

wannabe sikh, in gurbani the punj chor including hankaar/ego is difficult to defeat. in the olden times amritdharis were pure inside and out and free from ego. nowadays as kaljug is getting worse more amritdharis, including me, are failing to defeat ego. gurbani clearly states only through naam can ego and the rest of the punj chor be defeated.

these amritdharis you see should be very humble and free from ego, try not to judge them because every amritdhari will have to deal with guru sahib. please try to save yourself and make guru ji happy. do not worry about others. waheguru gurmantar hai. do jaap of gurmantar “waheguru waheguru waheguru…” for alteast 1hour a day, then slowly progress to 2hours. start researching "rehit" for amritdharis. the key is slow steps. slowly implement amritdhari lifestyle to that you are fully ready to shak amrit and have guru gobind singh jee and mata sahib kaur ji as your parents. ontop of your naam simran also do the following paath as minimum: japji, jaap sahib, tavprasad, chaupi, full anand sahib in the morning. in the evening do rehraas and before sleep recite sohila. once you make the above lifestyle firm for a few months/years, you will be ready to shak amrit, and after amritshakking you already know the importance of not being bigheaded and showing love to all. the key is love, if other amritdharis have forgetten love for all it is their loss.

do not waste you life in maya, we have come here only to jap naam and recite bani. listen to kirtan when you are in the car or when chilling out, do not ever listen to worldy music. start cutting down on tv on a weekly basis otherwise it will waste your life and lead u away from waheguru. Work hard in your worldly job or education. Exercise regularly. Start researching and learning meanings of gurbani in guru granth sahib.

rememer it is always their loss, you concentrate on becoming a good and high standard sikh of the guru!

When you become amritdhari and do loads of naam simran, the bliss inside cannot be described. No worldy things, even drugs cannot not compare to the divine experiences internally. good luck in your life, and i hope you choose the path of gurmat.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ke fateh!

Guest Gurpreet

Right we have got to a point where sometimes the posts started have a good deeper menaing or value and as the post progresses it either turns out very good or in some cases not so good, but then again who are I and You to judge.

So in simple terms the discussion on Kaurs in the Panj Pyare in the rehit section was very eye opening for me as I didn't really have a view on the subject but now understand the importance of this highly sensitive and important subject.

As for this subject it is hard to judge whether the poster at the start wanted to have a rant or merely wanted to ask or express their views, but in my opinion went about it the wrong way.

I would also like to say that Only Five and Jag Singh I do like your replies and also have liked ur responses to alot of debates on this forum, even though I have only started to use this forum.

Just thought that You mite want to have an outsiders view on this topic and other discussions.

Forgive me for any mistakes

P.S Keep up the good work and let the discussions materialise a bit more so learning people like myself and probably many others can understand what is important and waht isn't

Thank You

Right we have got to a point where sometimes the posts started have a good deeper menaing or value and as the post progresses it either turns out very good or in some cases not so good, but then again who are I and You to judge.

So in simple terms the discussion on Kaurs in the Panj Pyare in the rehit section was very eye opening for me as I didn't really have a view on the subject but now understand the importance of this highly sensitive and important subject.

As for this subject it is hard to judge whether the poster at the start wanted to have a rant or merely wanted to ask or express their views, but in my opinion went about it the wrong way.

I would also like to say that Only Five and Jag Singh I do like your replies and also have liked ur responses to alot of debates on this forum, even though I have only started to use this forum.

Just thought that You mite want to have an outsiders view on this topic and other discussions.

Forgive me for any mistakes

P.S Keep up the good work and let the discussions materialise a bit more so learning people like myself and probably many others can understand what is important and waht isn't

Thank You

Singh

One day you'll like me and other days you'll hate me. So don't depend on me, look to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, Dasam Granth, Punj Pyare, and Gursikhs for answers.

Stay in Chardikala and follwo the discpline laid down by Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji.

Guest Gurpreet

Thanks for your reply Only Five appreciate feedback. Bhai Sahib i don't really depend on you, yes I do look at your vichaar but I also look to many others on this forum, the only person I and we all should depend on is Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee.

BTW I don't think I will hate you or anybody on this forum regarding they are doing/responding in the correct manner :)

Thanks for your reply Only Five appreciate feedback. Bhai Sahib i don't really depend on you, yes I do look at your vichaar but I also look to many others on this forum, the only person I and we all should depend on is Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee.

BTW I don't think I will hate you or anybody on this forum regarding they are doing/responding in the correct manner smile.gif

cool.gif