Is Satiguru Patented?

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!

Dear all!

For many Sikhs their Satiguru is God. Satiguru for them is also Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee.

In my last visit to Amritsar, I visited a book store and publication near Harimandar Saahib and requested for God in the original Form.

The salesman told me that exclusive rights to print Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee now belong to a management body.

My curiosity is to know. Is Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee now patented from Sikhs, for Sikhs?

Balbir Singh

It's unfortunate that you chose to use legal language in your post regarding Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

There is a firm in Amritsar called Chattar Singh Jivan Singh which has minted a fortune by selling our Guru.

They treat our Guru as a stock keeping unit (SKU) in their store. They mix in excess printed pages with Gurbani on them with garbage, as well as other beadbi. Search for past threads.

The Akal Takhat took notice of their misdeeds and decided that the SGPC will print recensions of Guru Granth Sahib.

They were recently sent to jail for putting heroin into an export shipment of religious books.

The SGPC's press is actually a Gurdwara, Ramsar Sahib, where Gurbani was originally written. A standard of respect is maintained there. By walking just a few metres, you could have obtained what you needed from the SGPC.

If you care about God's opinion, He says:

Dhhrig thinaa kaa jeeviaa ji likh likh vaechehi naao

Cursed are the lives of those who write the Lord's Name to sell it. p. 1245

On the other hand, Gurbani encourages writing bani for spiritual development. If anyone wants to do this as a labour of love, they are free to do so.

iDRgu iqnw kw jIivAw ij iliK iliK vycih nwau ]

dhhrig thinaa kaa jeeviaa j likh likh vaechehi naao ||

Cursed are the lives of those who read and write the Lord's Name to sell it.

Rehatnama of Bhai Chaupa Singh also strictly instructs that one shouldn't write Gurbani just for the purpose of selling it.

WJKK WJKF Ji

Balbir Singh, You've already received some very good replies above. Nevertheless:

You use the word "patent", but it doesn't apply in this situation. A patent is an part of English law; it means granting of a monopoly on the use of an invention by its inventor for a period of time. Patents do not apply to books, rather, copyrights do. In any case, our Guru isn't a book, which is why the Akal Takhat banned booksellers from this trade.

In addition, the ban was not based on the western legal concept of patents or copyrights, but rather on the Sikh concepts of community order (gurmatta and hukumnamma, Guruship, and Panj Piare).

To answer your question of whether Sri Guru Granth Sahib is by Sikhs for Sikhs, the answer is yes. The reason is our Guru isn't a book that anyone can buy and sell, and keep however he wants to whereever he wants to. Sri Guru Granth Sahib is only to be taken to places where respect is maintained.

On the other hand, if someone wants to study Gurbani, he can do so from commentaries (teekas) or sanchian (volumes containing some part, usually half, of Gurbani).

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!

Dear all!

For many Sikhs their Satiguru is God. Satiguru for them is also Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee.

In my last visit to Amritsar, I visited a book store and publication near Harimandar Saahib and requested for God in the original Form.

The salesman told me that exclusive rights to print Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee now belong to a management body.

My curiosity is to know. Is Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee now patented from Sikhs, for Sikhs?

Balbir Singh

Bhai Gurgas ji tells us "Jagat guru gur nanak Deo."

As sauch Guru Granth Sahib Ji is also JAGAT GURU and not patent for any specific

catagory/religion/section of society. But it is prime duty of true Sikhs to give

proper respect and to ensure that proper respect is being given to our beloved GURU.

When it was observed that Private Publishers were printing and selling the PAWAN

SAROOPS without obeying sanctum sectorum (Maryada ) on the appeal of some

Sikh Jathebandis ,a decision was taken by the Chief of AKAL TAKHAT to ban publishing

of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji by any private publisher and only SGPC was allowed to

print and supply the Pawan Saroops of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji .

It never means that in this process patent has beendone but by doing so proper respect

of Guru Sahib and obeying Maryada has been tried to be ensured for which we must say that the then Akal Takhat Chief , has done a commendable job which must be appreciated instead of criticism . And giving the nameof PATENT to this process is ...............? I am unable to express it but can be understood by everyone.

Bhul chuk khima,WJKK WJKF

Neither GURU GRANTH SAHIB is a book nor the SHABADS written herein are GEETS

but it is "Pothhi Parmesar ka thhan" ocean of shabad and gyan Which can neither

be sold nor can be purchased and that is why the bussiness of publishing and

selling of GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI has been banned which must be understood

and followed in true spirit by the SIKHS.

Bhul chuk khima WJKK WJKF