Why Do I Exist?

Guest confused

Intellectually I am bright, akaalpurakh has gifted me with a sharp mind, perhaps too sharp for my own good. I am the kind of person that like fully understand/grasp a concept, in my case this is specially applied to religion.. therefore when I find gaps in my own knowledge, I lapse, begin to ask more questions and dig my self deeper and deeper.

Many wise came, many wise claim to exist, and all have and shall come to an end. They will get nothing at his court. Nothing at all...

Abandon your intellect. Don't question the life of your breath and the breath of your life. Your nature is not and never was of questioning. This questioning nature is of your ego. It will take you nowhere.

Dhan Guru Naanak.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

As for your questions:

pourree ||

shhatheeh jug gubaar saa aapae ganath keenee ||

aapae srisatt sabh saajeean aap math dheenee ||

simrith saasath saajian paap pu(n)n ganath ganeenee ||

jis bujhaaeae so bujhasee sachai sabadh patheenee ||

sabh aapae aap varathadhaa aapae bakhas milaaee ||7||

Pauree:

For thirty-six ages, there was utter darkness. Then, the Lord revealed Himself.

He Himself created the entire universe. He Himself blessed it with understanding.

He created the Simritees and the Shaastras; He calculates the accounts of virtue and vice.

He alone understands, whom the Lord inspires to understand and to be pleased with the True Word of the Shabad.

He Himself is all-pervading; He Himself forgives, and unites with Himself. ||7|| - 949.

Such was the game that was composed by the Almighty.

jag supanaa baajee banee khin mehi khael khaelaae ||

The world is a drama, staged in a dream. In a moment, the play is played out. - 18.

jeea ja(n)th sabh thaeraa khael ||

All living beings are Your playthings.

vijog mil vishhurriaa sa(n)jogee mael ||2||

The separated ones meet, and by great good fortune, those suffering in separation are reunited once again. ||2||

jis no thoo jaanaaeihi soee jan jaanai ||

They alone understand, whom You inspire to understand;

har gun sadh hee aakh vakhaanai ||

they continually chant and repeat the Lord's Praises. -11.

So there is the therory. To accept it would be to become a Gursikh - this is considered acceptance of the Almighty's Hukam - those who do are on a different plane of existence. It is not in our hands to fully grasp the Almighty. It is too big, as if to fit an infinite ocean into a thimble. Where the ocean cannot fit in a thimble, the thimble can reside in the ocean and be one with it. Such is Sikhism.

Now, Gurbani's function is to tell the truth - but it is Gurparsad - the full blessing of the Guru/Akal Purakh which will cause the acceptance and proceeding in the Almighty's Hukam. So I can post this, and you can read this, but that wonderous part of the play is that it is only the Guru's Kirpa that will make us accept it. I ask that question as well...why, when I am a Sikh, a son of Guru Gobind Singh Ji and Mata Sahib Kaur Ji, blessed with Gurbani that the entire world bows to when they are made aware of it, choosing to watch TV, talk nonsense and engage in anything but Simran and Keertan/Paath/Gurmat Vichar. The answer lies in that same Gurparsad/Kirpa. There are souls in this world that are indeed blessed with this understanding and pursue Simran and Gurbani comprehension without tiredness. There are those blessed with unending energy for seva. This is all Kirpa.

A few things to ponder:

1) Once, a premi of Guru Sahib asked that if all the Gursikhs were already Brahm-Gyanis, why was the 5 Kakkar requirement and Rehat made mandatory? After all, were they not already assured liberation from the birth-death cycle. Guru Sahib said to the premi, go get a goldsmith. A goldsmith was summoned. Guru Sahib took a nugget of gold and told the goldsmith to test the nugget. The goldsmith took out his ksvati (a test stone to check if the gold is indeed genuine) and tested the gold nugget and reported that indeed, the nugget was pure gold. Guru Sahib replied that there was the premi's answer - that the Sikh (goldsmith) is given the ksvati of Rehat to continuously test himself/herself as many times as needed to check if he/she is Gurmukh/gold or manmukh/fake. That is the purpose of the Rehat. Moral: Becoming loose in the Rehat will impair your ability to check how you are proceeding on the path of Sikhi.

2) A sakhi concerning either Bhagat Ravidaas or Naamdev Sahib. Bhagat Ji pursued with zeal the Darshan of the Almighty. He was blessed with Darshan in 7 days. He became very egotistical and said that he must be something special that he obtained the Almighty in 7 days, where people spend lifetimes. He had a firghtening dream where there were nothing but skeletons upon skeletons. Jarred from this dream, his Guru told him that the dream he saw were the uncountable births and deaths in which Bhagat Ji had been through and done Bhagti in. Through all of that, he was 7 days short of Bhagti, which he completed in the current birth to obtain liberation.

A similar sakhi of Baba Nand Singh also details when Baba Ji himself counted the many incarnations hehad to pass before obtaining his final incarnation as a fully realized soul. Moral: Sikhi is not a one shot, become Amritdhari and reserve a seat in Sachkhand, deal. It requires sticking to the Rehat diligently. Know this - that only Kirpa of the Guru and following the Guru's Rehat and Gurbani (which is also Rehat, as a true Sikh fulfills the Hukam of Gurbani) is the path of liberation. Yogi Harbhajan Singh said bluntly (and comically) in a Katha that it is very easy to live as a Sikh, just as it is easy to be a cow. The difficult part is to live up to your last breath as a Sikh. Guru Sahib is ever merciful, hence why if we falter, Guru Sahib can be sought for advising in the Roop of the Punj Pyare.

Last thing I will say is from personal experience. Sangat is given a very VERY high status in Sikhism, up to saying that the Almighty resides in the Sadh Sangat. Find Sangat. Do Ardaas for Sangat. Sangat will carry you when you are too weak to walk the path of Sikhi. It, like an ocean's current, will carry you away from the worldly and take you towards the spiritual. This priceless gift is also only found by Guru Sahib's Kirpa. But you are a Sikh of the Guru. Do Ardaas for it. Beg for it as a child begs for a gift from Guru Sahib. There are souls in the Sangat who appear almost child-like in innocence, but when discussing Gurmat make you want to commit suicide over yor own ignorance. This is a personal experience, because as recently attendance of Sangat has grown less, I feel weaker as a Sikh. So much there is to learn there, so much can be gotten, but only if Guru Sahib gives it. So ask for it.

Daas hopes this advice is of use. One constant bit of advice that I always provide is to read the book Bandaginama, as it answers many of the questions at the heart of a Sikh on the path. Apologies in advance for any mistake in representing Gurbani or Gurmat.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8636595/Bandginama-by-Raghbir-Singh-Bir

Guest forgetfull

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

nothing seems right

but his love feels right

the universe is vast but i have no desire to understand it

so it does not pain me

i just stare at it and enjoy it

waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru

nothing seems right

but his love feels right

the universe is vast but i have no desire to understand it

so it does not pain me

i just stare at it and enjoy it

waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru

Veydh Teh Kateyb Saheba,

Parrdh Ta Lavaan Main.

Prem Na Saakho-hn Maynu,

Daas Ki Kaaran Main.

Mehek Tan Tere Charana De Eh,

Phoolan Da Ki Karaan Na...

Dhan Guru Naanak. Wah Guru Naanak.

Guest alsoconfused

If I was you I would talk to a spiritually high Gurmukh in your community with these questions, they are the type of questions that a) need to be posed to someone with a Jeevan rather than anonymous youth and b) need to be discussed in depth face to face rather than as a exchange of messages over the internet.

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:04 AM

I have a feeling you're describing the situation many are in, including me. I think the above poster is right. You need to find Sangat that can uplift you rather than "wallow in the murky waters of doubt" with people who are in the same boat (or falling out of it).

When I go to the gurdwara i also see the bad there, this has made me weary of most of the sangat I see there.

You need to focus on the good. Focus on the Guru and kirtan, paath and do your own paath there and try and block everything else out.

I love kutha's advice and this one aswell

Many wise came, many wise claim to exist, and all have and shall come to an end. They will get nothing at his court. Nothing at all...

Abandon your intellect. Don't question the life of your breath and the breath of your life. Your nature is not and never was of questioning. This questioning nature is of your ego. It will take you nowhere.

Dhan Guru Naanak.

we're meant to let go of our minds, give up our heads to Guru Nanak and just feel, use our intution not our thoughts, and develop the strongest possible love for god as he loves us.

We can't control our thoughts as much as we try so give that up, it'll only bring you pain and hinder your path more than you can imagine.

Life only poses us with situations to get closer to god. Everything is an excuse. Literally. Your state of mind as an individual is also akalpurkhs own way of getting you to see things clearer. Even though we may think i'm getting farther away... this is happening to you for a reason. Sometimes it take a huge push, like the pain of separation or the pain of dubidha (doubt) to finally bring out the right ardaas... or to finally bring a permanent state of mind that does not question, only knows and understands.

Read more bani. You'll find that in this state of mind you're able to interpret it in a new light... and it'll come in handy. Believe me. Make this pain useful.

questioning is good. thats how you study adn learn the truth. learn from gurbani at home, there are many internet resources. find others you can connect with even if they are far away. the lakh churasi joon are referring to within one lifetime. the karam you are judged on are those i this lifetime. every time you stray from a gursikh jeevan you die but when you come back on track you are born-that is reincarnation. check out the singh sabha canada website as it has a lot of answers. good luck! dont give up........