What Is Katha

although i agree that naam-bani alone is enough for slavation,

AA, the bedrock of Gurmat, is Naam Japna,Krit Karni, and Wand Shakna. Not Naam alone. If Naam alone was all that was needed for salvation, why would Guru Nanak criticise the Siddhs for having renounced the world and its suffering, to hide in the mountains. The Siddhs dd much Naam Japna, more than we could, but they failed in the other two.

Secondly, what Bhai Sahib has written is that doing katha of Gurbani is not kalyankaari i.e. this karma in its capacity cannot lead one to salvation as chanting of Naam and recitation of Gurbani does. It helps one to solidify one's position on the spiritual path, provided it's done by a person who is well-versed in meanings of Gurbani but just by listening to Katha one cannot get Paramgat (salvation).

On the other hand, the Akath Katha (description of the unexplainable i.e. Gurbani) of Naam and Naami Vaheguru that our Guru Sahibaan have done is such that just by listening to it and by uttering it, one gets paramgat. Similarly the Har Har Katha i.e. Naam is such that just by listening to this Har Har Katha (Naam) and by chanting it, one gets Paramgat (salvation).

Wrong.

ਬਾਣੀ ਬਿਰਲਉ ਬੀਚਾਰਸੀ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਇ

ਇਹ ਬਾਣੀ ਮਹਾ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੀ ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਵਾਸਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੪੦॥

How rare are those who contemplate the Word of the Guru's Bani; they become Gurmukh.

This is the Bani of the Supreme Being; through it, one dwells within the home of his inner being. ||40||

ਸੇਵਕ ਸਿਖ ਪੂਜਣ ਸਭਿ ਆਵਹਿ ਸਭਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਊਤਮ ਬਾਨੀ ॥

ਗਾਵਿਆ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਕਾ ਹਰਿ ਥਾਇ ਪਾਵੈ ਜਿਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਆਗਿਆ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨੀ ॥੧॥

All the Sikhs and followers come to worship and praise. They sing the great Bani of True Guru. Their singing and listening brings fruit only when they implement the teachings of the True Guru.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

WAHEGURUJIKAKHALSAWAHEGURUJIKEFATEH.

It is my understanding that the Siddhs were actually engaged in the pursuit of Riddh Siddh (super natural powers) rather than the naam japp of Waheguru Ji , and as such they had no control over their vices(kaam,krodh,lobh,moh,ahankaar).

Guru Nanak Ji showed them the benefits of naam simram since riddh siddh is only a temporary pleasure and cannot give anand.

Kirt and wand shakana are also important in Gursikhi but kirt and wand shakana cannot give kalyaan. They can only propagate society.

It is naam jappana that has to adhered to attain kalyaan. There is a story where Guru Ji visited a town where all the graves showed an age upto six years. Bhai Mardhana Ji asked why the village graves only had children? Guru Ji explained that the age on the graves was not their physical age but the accumulated time they had spent doing naam simran.

Bhai Mohkam SIngh Ji, Guru has already given us the example that Naam Japna, Kirt Karni and wand Shakna are the 3 principles of Sikhi. I do agree that Naam is the bedrock which without the other two mean less. Sant Lulon wale said that Guru Nanaks first hukam was to do Krit Kamaie.

Anyway we or myself,(again) have digressed from the topic, which was about katha. If the mods feel benevolent, maybe thi ould be discussed seperately, as I feel there is a lot I would like to learn about this myself.