Sikhs In Media

hardeepgill

I'm currently watching the Sikh Channel debate which is good, and theyr talkin about speakin to people about the Sikh religion thru media.

I absolutely agree we need to be doig this to educate ignorant peopel about our religion.

It's the only way we can ensure young sikhs - and i count myself as one, arent misunderstood by others in society.

I recently got involved working with a documentary maker you've all probably heard about - jay singh-sohal who used to present with itv.

Im shocked and surprised that ther is little take up from sikhs in the uk supporting his projects - turbanology which is currently being licensed as an educational tool, and other films he's planning.

We can't complain about people like sonia deol giving sikhs a bad name and then not support those that are doing something positive in media.

You may be pleased to know that turbanology is now being licensed by british transport police as an educational tool for their officers - hopefully others will follow and use it to be aware of the sikh turban.

This is the most ideal way we can connect with public bodies - so they are aware and educated about things like the turban. They're not going to watch the sikh channel after all ... we need to connect with them through films and documentaries.

I would like to ask the community to support jay and turbanology and prove there are sikhs in the media we can trust and who put out a good message for us.

Some Gurdwara's have been in touch with me about doing screenings for young people in their community - so they can take an interest and be proud of their turban and identity.

Furthermore, Ramgharia Gurdwara in Jewellery Quarter Birmingham have beeen fantastic support sponsoring the DVD launch next week.

I hope many more of you will do the same - and with a filmmaker/journalist in our midst know there is a resource for us to get the message out.

Please check out our work online on www.turbanology.com and contact us thru the website - we are embarking on projects - sikh films and documentaries for the mainstream, that need your support.