Help!

Savtej Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fathey!

To all the brother and sisters here I need a little help. I grew up in a all white middle class community. All my friends know about Sikhi and everything because i've gone to school here and that all my friends are cool. Well, my friend moved into my city. He was a devout Sikh. He used to do Kirtan and everything. Since he was new, i decided to help him out by letting him sit at my table so that it dosen't look like we as Sikhs are weak. I've noticed that he has been doing some really wrong stuff. At first, i noticed that he started shaving off his sideburns. I'm a freshman at high school and i have long sideburns and nobody cares, and he barley had a couple of hairs and then he shaved it off. Next, I noticed that he started to hang around with the drug dealers in the school. Now, since he is doing that stuff and I'm getting pressured into doing that. I tell my friends No because i know the reason why i keep my hair. I just wanted to ask anyone for suggestions on how to get my friend on the right path. Now, his parents are ashamed to go to Gurudwara because you know people talk. Please respond.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fathey!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

You have to change the Sangat that you keep (both of you) - what city are you in? Look for good Sangat and get involved, to keep yourselves busy with good stuff. Preaching isn't going to work, and might push him further away.

Does your friend know about 1984? Listening to Sant Jarnail Singh Ji's speeches and reading up on what happened is a good way to get young people back into Sikhi.

Maybe set up a Sikh Society or something, where all the Sikhs in your College can meet up and help each other.

Also do Ardas for him, for him to be blessed with Gursikhi.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

You have to change the Sangat that you keep (both of you) - what city are you in? Look for good Sangat and get involved, to keep yourselves busy with good stuff. Preaching isn't going to work, and might push him further away.

Does your friend know about 1984? Listening to Sant Jarnail Singh Ji's speeches and reading up on what happened is a good way to get young people back into Sikhi.

Maybe set up a Sikh Society or something, where all the Sikhs in your College can meet up and help each other.

Also do Ardas for him, for him to be blessed with Gursikhi.

That's the problem. The Sangat here in Cleveland does not help at all. There are very few amrithari Sikhs here. I don't think he knows what happened in 84. Any other option. He had problems at his old school too. So, my cousin, Navtej Singh, went there and talked about Sikhi and why it is so important to keep his hair. After that, nobody in his school bothered him. I still don't get why he does it? Especially when he has no problems here. Well, I'll hope for the best and hope that Waheguru take him on the right path.

Thanks.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fathey!

To all the brother and sisters here I need a little help. I grew up in a all white middle class community. All my friends know about Sikhi and everything because i've gone to school here and that all my friends are cool. Well, my friend moved into my city. He was a devout Sikh. He used to do Kirtan and everything. Since he was new, i decided to help him out by letting him sit at my table so that it dosen't look like we as Sikhs are weak. I've noticed that he has been doing some really wrong stuff. At first, i noticed that he started shaving off his sideburns. I'm a freshman at high school and i have long sideburns and nobody cares, and he barley had a couple of hairs and then he shaved it off. Next, I noticed that he started to hang around with the drug dealers in the school. Now, since he is doing that stuff and I'm getting pressured into doing that. I tell my friends No because i know the reason why i keep my hair. I just wanted to ask anyone for suggestions on how to get my friend on the right path. Now, his parents are ashamed to go to Gurudwara because you know people talk. Please respond.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fathey!

The bad crowd is something to stay away from. Its corrupting and distracting from school and God. The key to surviving high school is to find people that will support you. The friends that I thought were the best ended up becoming the largest alcoholics in high school. Really handpick your friends. The best option is to meet people outside your school, and just minimize your contact with kids at High School. Find other Sikhs that are passionate about Sikhi around the Cleveland area and make friends with them. You may not be so close so hang out on the weekends and keep in contact via text and <banned word filter activated>. Let me know if you need help.

Best,

kuthaman