The Vessel

The Master was searching for a vessel to use; On the shelf there were many - which one would He choose?

"Take me", cried the gold one, "I'm shiny and bright, I'm of great value and I do things just right. My beauty will outshine the rest And for someone like You, Master, gold would be the best!" The Master passed on with no word at all; He looked at a silver urn, narrow and tall; "I'll serve You, dear Master, I'll pour out Your drink, and I'll be at Your table whenever You dine, My lines are so graceful, my carvings so true, And my silver will always compliment You."

Unheeding the Master passed on to the brass, It was wide mouthed and shallow, and polished like glass. "Here! Here!" cried the vessel, "I know I will do, Place me on Your table for all men to view."

"Look at me", called the goblet of crystal so clear, "My transparency shows my contents so dear, Though fragile am I, I will serve You with pride, And I'm sure I'll be happy in Your house to abide."

The Master came next to a vessel of wood, Polished and carved, it solidly stood. "You may use me, dear Master", the wooden bowl said, "But I'd rather You used me for fruit, not for Bread!"

Then the Master looked down and saw a vessel of clay. Empty and broken it helplessly lay. No hope had the vessel that the Master might choose, To cleanse and make whole, to fill and to use.

"Ah! This is the vessel I've been hoping to find, I will mend and use it and make it all Mine." "I need not the vessel with pride of its self; Nor the one who is narrow to sit on the shelf; Nor the one who is big mouthed and shallow and loud; Nor one who displays his contents so proud; Not the one who thinks he can do all things just right; But this plain earthy vessel filled with My power and might."

Then gently He lifted the vessel of clay. Mended and cleansed it and filled it that day. Spoke to it kindly. "There's work you must do, Just pour out to others as I pour into you."

Which type of vessel do we connect to?

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

Āsā mėhlā 5.

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਮਿਟਾਵੈ ਛੁਟਕੈ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਅਪੁਨੀ ਧਾਰੀ ॥

Kām kroḏẖ lobẖ moh mitāvai cẖẖutkai ḏurmaṯ apunī ḏẖārī.

If she renounces and eliminates her sexual desire, anger, greed and attachment, and her evil-mindedness and self-conceit as well;

ਹੋਇ ਨਿਮਾਣੀ ਸੇਵ ਕਮਾਵਹਿ ਤਾ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਮਨਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ॥੧॥

Ho▫e nimāṇī sev kamāvėh ṯā parīṯam hovėh man pi▫ārī. ||1||

and if, becoming humble, she serves Him, then she becomes dear to her Beloved's Heart. ||1||

ਸੁਣਿ ਸੁੰਦਰਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਬਚਨ ਉਧਾਰੀ ॥

Suṇ sunḏar sāḏẖū bacẖan uḏẖārī.

Listen, O beautiful soul-bride: By the Word of the Holy Saint, you shall be saved.

ਦੂਖ ਭੂਖ ਮਿਟੈ ਤੇਰੋ ਸਹਸਾ ਸੁਖ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਤੂੰ ਸੁਖਮਨਿ ਨਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Ḏūkẖ bẖūkẖ mitai ṯero sahsā sukẖ pāvahi ṯūʼn sukẖman nārī. ||1|| rahā▫o.

Your pain, hunger and doubt shall vanish, and you shall obtain peace, O happy soul-bride. ||1||Pause||

ਚਰਣ ਪਖਾਰਿ ਕਰਉ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਆਤਮ ਸੁਧੁ ਬਿਖੁ ਤਿਆਸ ਨਿਵਾਰੀ ॥

Cẖaraṇ pakẖār kara▫o gur sevā āṯam suḏẖ bikẖ ṯi▫ās nivārī.

Washing the Guru's feet, and serving Him, the soul is sanctified, and the thirst for sin is quenched.

ਦਾਸਨ ਕੀ ਹੋਇ ਦਾਸਿ ਦਾਸਰੀ ਤਾ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਸੋਭਾ ਹਰਿ ਦੁਆਰੀ ॥੨॥

Ḏāsan kī ho▫e ḏās ḏāsrī ṯā pāvahi sobẖā har ḏu▫ārī. ||2||

If you become the slave of the slave of the Lord's slaves, then you shall obtain honor in the Court of the Lord. ||2||

ਇਹੀ ਅਚਾਰ ਇਹੀ ਬਿਉਹਾਰਾ ਆਗਿਆ ਮਾਨਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰੀ ॥

Ihī acẖār ihī bi▫uhārā āgi▫ā mān bẖagaṯ ho▫e ṯumĥārī.

This is right conduct, and this is the correct lifestyle, to obey the Command of the Lord's Will; this is your devotional worship.

ਜੋ ਇਹੁ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋ ਭਉਜਲੁ ਪਾਰਿ ਉਤਾਰੀ ॥੩॥੨੮॥

Jo ih manṯar kamāvai Nānak so bẖa▫ojal pār uṯārī. ||3||28||

One who practices this Mantra, O Nanak, swims across the terrifying world-ocean. ||3||28||